MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-11-2003, 07:50 PM   #1
eeh1025
Registered Member

Default Custom blower Question???

I see in a magize that someguy made his own air system buy using his exhaust for air and had them push the air in the his intake and he gain alot of horse from that. i have an 86 GT and I was wondering if i hooked up an heater/ac blower into may cold air intake, what i wanted to do is keep what i have on there and cut a hole in the side of the cold air tube and have it so that when i flip a switch a the blower motor will come on and rush air into the intake, will this work and will it be good. thanks alot
Ernie
93 GT 351 to 393 stroker, GT40 upper and lower intake, GT40X Turbo Swirl heads, holley 80mm throttle body, 255 fuel pump, 42 lb injector, JE pistons, Comp cam, comp lifters, comp pushrods, comp springs, crane Roller rockers. Trick flow Crank Shaft, comp Timing chain. MSD 7 series ignition, msd hvc2 coil, MSD timing adjust, MSD Pro billet Dis, Hooker long tube, Off road H pipe 1 chanber race flows, 4.10 gears, Vortech cooler and T-Trim with a 25lb boost AND LOTS MORE.
eeh1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 01:35 PM   #2
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

Man this has come up more then once... I'm surprised no one has called you an idiot yet... they like to do that here... but when it's all said and done it's a good question.. but the fact of the matter is.. it wont work...

an electric blower coulnt possibly create enough boost to make a difference... you're talking about let ssay 5PSI but it's also volume ...

if you search ebay you'll see alot of ELCTRIC SUPER CHARGERS... dont get caught into it... it's just not going to happen.. there was a thread a couple months ago about it... there's also another one about trying to use a tank of compressed air.. it all boils down to this... if it worked.. someone would have allready done it and it'd be common practice... the stuff that works is nitrous and turbos and super chargers... and maybe ram air to a smaller extent
-as
Old 04-14-2003, 02:28 PM   #3
eeh1025
Registered Member

Hey there what psi boost would you need to make alot off horse.
Thanks alot man.
Ernie
93 GT 351 to 393 stroker, GT40 upper and lower intake, GT40X Turbo Swirl heads, holley 80mm throttle body, 255 fuel pump, 42 lb injector, JE pistons, Comp cam, comp lifters, comp pushrods, comp springs, crane Roller rockers. Trick flow Crank Shaft, comp Timing chain. MSD 7 series ignition, msd hvc2 coil, MSD timing adjust, MSD Pro billet Dis, Hooker long tube, Off road H pipe 1 chanber race flows, 4.10 gears, Vortech cooler and T-Trim with a 25lb boost AND LOTS MORE.
Old 04-14-2003, 03:04 PM   #4
jerrys84
Registered Member

it's not, how much boost you can make, it's how much boost your motor can handle to make H.P...

too much boost, BOOM! best bang for the $$, nitrous!!

and no, a heater blower fan won't work any better than eating alot of beans, connecting one end of a hose to your intake and the other to your butt then farting....

hey wait a second, i wonder how much h.p that would create and how big the hose would need to be?

previous stangs;

lightly modded 84GT

81 2.3 converted to 302 auto
jerrys84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 03:59 PM   #5
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

I mean anything more then atmospheric pressure will help with HP... but most entry level blowers give you liek 6-8PSI
-as
Old 04-18-2003, 10:58 PM   #6
eeh1025
Registered Member

hey chuck, i have got a 11psi 12volt blower and i was wondering do you think this blow would have enough to do do what i want. that alot
Ernie
Old 04-19-2003, 04:25 PM   #7
BilLster
Registered Member

11 psi at what diamater openning, n 2 o is like 300 psi at a 1/2 hose as the gas expandes the volumetric pressure decreases so a 11 psi "blower" with a 1 inch opening will drop to less than half at 2 inch and almost nill at 4 inch or what say 1.1 so that 11 psi would = 1 psi also thats psi with no back pressure throw that in and watch it drop.

I see in a magize that someguy made his own air system buy using his exhaust for air and had them push the air in the his intake and he gain alot of horse from that

yes thats right though its called a turbo works great to.
Old 04-19-2003, 09:19 PM   #8
eeh1025
Registered Member

So how many psi should the blower be and what size opening should it be.
Ernie
Old 04-20-2003, 07:44 AM   #9
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

well, take any real super charger, it's probably around 6 (for starters) at about a 3 to 4 inch opening...some of the bigger ones will get you into the 20 psi range.. if not more.

here's the deal... a supercharger is a blower that's belt driven, it takes the rotating power of the engine to turn a pulley that blows the air, REALLY HARD.... a TURBO charger uses the escaping exhaust gas to spin a turbine witch in turn blows the air into the intake... both systems work well... though technicaly a turbo is more efficient, cause it uses waste energy to produce power where the supercharger is parasitic, it takes away from your energy output, though it puts back more then it takes, so you still havea net gain.
-as