MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-17-2001, 10:46 AM   #1
stevstum
Registered Member

Question Another Flowmaster Question...Please Respond

I test drove a 90 Gt and it had an O/R h-pipe and flowmaster exhaust. When I drove it it seemed to have no power in th elower RPM range. It did rev a lot higher than my car does.

Now the question. I want to get a new exhaust system and was thinking of getting the Flowmaster Amercan Thunder. Will it be the same on my car and have all the power in the upper RPM. If that is true I don't know if I want to get it because all the races I have won were because of the off the line power. Or is the power there and the car just drives and feels like it has less power. Or is there a cat back that will not robe the low end power and still have more power in the upper RPM range?

------------------
Steve Stumbaugh

89 LX 5.0 5sp.
Removed air silencer
Motorcraft 8mm wires
Autolite platinum plugs
BBK O/R h-pipe

stevstum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 11:18 AM   #2
Phantom5oh
Registered Member

If you plan on just buying an cat back kit then it will not rob you of low end power, it should give you a little more... for a stock or near stock car an O/R pipe is a bad thing... the cats give you back pressure which gives your car some torque... if you remove the cats youll have more high RPM HP but less low end torque... with less torque your car will be less fun on the street... pluss it will not be emissions legal without the cats...

Phantom

------------------
CHECK OUT MY MODS

http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/...splay.cgi?1350
Phantom5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 01:25 PM   #3
dinomite
The Dude

on a stock or lightly modded car, you want the cats there to give you some back pressure. if you just getting a cat-back it will only add a little bit of power, and a nice sound. since you already have an o/r H, you may notice a signifigant drop in power when you open it up after that.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 03:24 PM   #4
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Talking

I personally didn't notice a larg4e drop of power or torque when I added the Off Road H and cat back to my stock motor. Althought I do agree with the back pressure comments, a Flowmaster needs 13" of pipe after it to get the proper flow from their mufflers, all per Flowmaster. I personally like my MAC's much better then the American Thunder system I had, they fit like crap and rusted after a short time, my MAC still looks new after 2 years or so and the fit was great, just my .02 .

------------------
Check Out My Site 91GT,Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60" port matched to a 1262,Anderson N-61,24#,76mm C&L,Full MAC exhaust 1-5/8" Long tubes,2-1/2" O.R H-Pipe,2 1/2" cat back, No A/C or PS or emissions, 12" K&N Filter,RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air,Ron Davis Radiator,Full Suspension,S&W 8pt "X" brace,JAZ seats,3:73's,Welds..etc,4:30's and 31 splines coming very soon! FIRST TIME OUT 12.16@111 WHEELS-UP
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 04:31 PM   #5
stevstum
Registered Member

So, If Flowmaster is the best but not for stock with an H-pipe. What has great sound and will not rob me of my low RPM power?

Mac is a good brand and I have heard a few sound files of them. How do they sound compaired to flows.

------------------
Steve Stumbaugh

89 LX 5.0 5sp.
Removed air silencer
Motorcraft 8mm wires
Autolite platinum plugs
BBK O/R h-pipe

stevstum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 03:50 PM   #6
homerojr
Registered Member

Talking

The MACs sound like a B-52 rolling down the runway, and above 2500 it sounds like a Nascar...enough?

------------------
95 5sp GT, black with gray leather, 17 in wheels, K&N filters, MAC cat-back.
homerojr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 09:27 AM   #7
Vector
Registered Member

A B-52? Damn that would suggest a horrid jet whine I would hope it is more comparable to a real P-51 Mustang fighter
Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 09:55 AM   #8
429AL
Registered Member

had mac shortys w/offroad and flowmasters and mac tailpipes all 2 1/2. drove to stockton ca. then reno and back home (tacoma wa.) and was ready to sell car when i got home. just way too loud for a daily driver/ weekend racer.
429AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 11:46 PM   #9
dashapht
Registered Member

weenie :P
dashapht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 12:55 AM   #10
Killercanary
Registered Member

I had an offroad X pipe with 2 chamber flowmasters on it. It sounded different, but after I added the headers, heads, and cam, it sounded like crap! It was ear piercing loud at high rpm's. It sounded like someone screaming! I think it was the X pipe that took away the "deep" sound that flowmasters usually have. I know a guy with an offroad H pipe on his 94GT and its loud and deep as heck! I recently added a set of 2.5" flow tubes and dynomax welded magnum mufflers, and it sounds 1000X's better. In my opinion, the best sounding exhaust on the market is the bassani offroad X pipe and cat back. Its deep and exotic sounding, not just loud and raspy like many others on the market.
P.S.- neither the bassani cat back or mine with the dynomax welded race magnums have that dreaded drone at 2000rpm's.

------------------
1995 NA GT CONVERTIBLE
BEST ET: 13.27
BEST MPH: 105.17
AFR's, FTI cam, edelbrock intake, and lots more.
http://www.angelfire.com/pa2/killercanary

Killercanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 10:09 AM   #11
dinomite
The Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by stevstum:
So, If Flowmaster is the best but not for stock with an H-pipe. What has great sound and will not rob me of my low RPM power?

Mac is a good brand and I have heard a few sound files of them. How do they sound compaired to flows.

any catback you get is gonna open it up enough, even the stock cat back doesn't have that much backpressure. from what i hear, mac is the best stuff.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote