MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-09-2001, 07:16 PM   #1
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Question Any forced induction systems for carbureted 351W???

I've already checked Powerdyne, ProCharger, Paxton, Vortech, Stillen and no luck. I know little about the forced induction aftermarket especially when it concerns carb'd motors. Need some help/advice as the time has come to refine my plans.

-----------------------------------------
351W-powered 1979 Ford Mustang notchback
Stock 5.8L under custom made 4" cowl, C4 w/ shift kit
Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake
1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, Al driveshaft
2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters
Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 255/60/15 Eagle GT II
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s
14 x 4” K&N air filter. Only a couple of weeks b4 Project FOX begins!!!

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 08:54 PM   #2
Moxie
Registered Member

I believe Holley still offers a roots supercharger setup for a small block Ford. Procharger and Paxton offer generic carburetor blower kits, but they're not bolt on. You have to fabricate some of the brackets and connections yourself.

------------------
Moxie Racing

The Nitrous Oxide Information Site
Moxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 04:27 AM   #3
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Thanks Moxie.

Any others? Perhaps centrifugal supercharger kits. I will call Procharger and/or Paxton within the next few days. I don't mind getting a bracket or 2 fabricated by a friend or local machine shop, just don't want anything too intense.

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Old 10-11-2001, 05:01 AM   #4
WADS56
gear banger

Take a look at the marine section on vortechs website. They have some brackets and indiction stuff for carbed motors. You may be able to bolt it on with a little work.

------------------
79 hatch w/ NA 347,stage 2 Canfield heads, out of the box Victor 5.0 intake, solid roller cam, Aeromotive fuel system, proshifted TKO II.MY CAR http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/...splay.cgi?1288
93lx all stock + tremec
WADS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 03:54 PM   #5
DirtKing
Registered Member

most of the time pressurizing a carb is a bad idea. I had a carb/procharged set up, and tuning was a ***** ...low boost 7-9 lbs you could get away with. I'd strongly recommend sticking with draw through (roots) applications. I did see a article where they had a draw thru paxton set up...totally custom though.

------------------
88LX notch, Speedpro EFI Procharged!
DirtKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 09:41 PM   #6
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Question

Okay, I know I'm being really general with my questions and I feel kinda dumb asking them, but my level of knowledge concerning forced induction and aftermarket applications for it are very limited.

Would it be easier or cheaper or a better move to convert over to EFI first? I need some suggestions. My plans have been constantly changing and I need some suggestions.

[This message has been edited by Fox Body (edited 10-11-2001).]
Old 10-12-2001, 02:32 AM   #7
demon357
Registered Member

It depends on the type of carb setup you have. If you use a full box enclosure around the carb you can run up to 20lbs of boost. If you use just a carb "hat" which sits on top, you will be very limited and the tuning will be a ***** . Thinking of doing a similar setup myself but with a couple of turbos.
demon357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2001, 02:56 AM   #8
jwboner
Registered Member

I've already got a DFI setup which has a t/b that sits on top of motor just like a carb and I am trying to find a blower setup that will bolt up to a 302 block in a '65 mustang. I was thinking of a novi 2000 and using a hat that bolts on the t/b like an air cleaner. I don't know much about forced induction either and was just wondering what any of you people have to say about this.

------------------
65 fastback
347 DFI injected, TFS heads, T5, 4.11 9", tc subframe conns, torq thrust D's
A little history lesson using today's tech.
jwboner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2001, 10:52 AM   #9
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Exclamation

I called ProCharger over the weekend and they said that I would use the 86-93 system. Bolt-on, I'd have to delete a/c (which I don't have anyway) and powersteering (which I have and will keep- so I'll have to get a custom bracket fabricated). I told him that I wanted to go with the intercooled system and he said that the D1SC (self-contained) w/ 3-core sheet metal (depending on how much hp I'm shooting for) intercooler would most likely be the setup I need.

I need to look into my carburetor. He was saying something about modifying the one I have now w/ a carb mod kit (and milling the choke assembly, etc) or going with a 600 cfm Holley (gotta be Holley).

The system supposedly comes complete with all the stuff I need (like fuel pump, etc).

He told me that with an 8.5:1 compression motor or less (mine is 8.5:1, I believe--or is it 8.8:1?), I could run 10 lbs of intercooled boost with a max of 20 lbs. The highest number he quoted was 750-800hp setup (a little more than I planned on). He said that we could easily go with a 600 hp setup (w/ the N/A motor already at ~400hp, using it as a ballpark figure). Also, he spoke of things such as easily getting a 50% hp increase or an attainable 100% hp increase.

I'm not one to jump head first into anything even when it is what I want to hear, but I will continue checking this out and ProCharger seems like the way to go for me. If you have any concerns or suggestions about what I just talked about, let me know. Thanks.

Old 10-14-2001, 12:51 PM   #10
Coupe Devil

Dude go with the Ati Procharger. I really like thier kit for the carb stuff. I dont have one YET but notice I said YET. I will run one on my drag car by the next season. I am gonna try to but one for a 302 carb motor and fab my own bracket when I build the 427 stroker. I really want to run one but thats alot of money man.

------------------
'93 lx notch 4 banger (drive it to work currently), Using the 306, 8.8 posi, 4.10's, summit rear cover, elec. fan, cowl hood, wieand stealth intake, holley 650 d.p.carb., built c-4, e-303, full autometer guages, msd box, mallory unilite dist, and coil, roll cage, summit seat, subs, 15x10's in the back with slicks, skinnies up front, all in use for 1988 Hatch Drag Car. Hope to start running next year. Hoping for 7.20's after all is done with small motor.
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2001, 01:34 PM   #11
Moxie
Registered Member

The guy at ATI is right, you will need a carburetor modified for 'blow-through' operation. I'm not familiar with the process, but forcing a pressurized air charge through a standard carburetor causes problems. A 'blow-through' setup allows the carb to work properly with boost.

------------------
Moxie Racing

The Nitrous Oxide Information Site
Moxie is offline   Reply With Quote