MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-22-2001, 03:32 PM   #1
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

Question any oil consumption additive that even works a little?

well my car likes to burn about a quart of oil every 700-1000 miles (depending on how hard i beat on it), this has been the case since unbeknownst to me my oil pump driveshaft broke on me on the way home (i know im an idiot) before that happened it would use a quart every 3000 miles, so im guessing that it wore the rings pretty well when it was running with no oil pressure, i did tear the motor down and put new bearings in it but didnt even think about the rings

anyway, i was just seeing if anyone has tried any oil additive that actually helped on oil consumption? im gonna be getting a spare 302 block and build it up slowly but until then i was hoping to revive this one a little, thanks guys

------------------
88 Notch, B&M Ripper, 3.73's, Ported E7's, Explorer int. w/ ported lower, pulleys, 1.7RR's, BBK headers, off-road H-pipe, flowmasters, subframes, 65mm TB, March ram air ,MSD coil, U/L control arms, 155lph f/p, Crane Adj.FPR, Nitto drag radials, best 1/4--> 13.76@101.4 on a 2.17 60ft
fiveohpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2001, 04:45 PM   #2
jimberg
Registered Member

Do you have the noticeable blue smoke cloud behind you? Any oil puddles in the driveway? I'm not sure about the additives.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2001, 08:49 PM   #3
stanglx347

Well, have you done a leak down test or compression test?

That would give you a very good idea of how much blow-bye your rings are costing you. Maybe you have excessive oil leaking down thru the Valve guides. In any case with that much oil consumption one would think a certain amount of blue smoke would be noticeable; at startup in particular where everything is cold and the rings and pistons have not had a chance to expand and close some of the gaps, so when you fire up the motor in the morning you would see the smoke……..and when you really lay into it.

Anyway, getting back to your question about additives, that is a crap shoot really, because the only thing that can keep MOVING PARTS from allowing oil to slip by is something that would increase the 'Weight' of the oil so as to make it thicker and that is really a waste of money since the same effect can be gathered by going to a much thicker oil. It may even benefit you to run straight 30W oil, unless you live way up north where a cold morning would be hard on the oil pump. So the answer to your question is to look at maybe going with a 20w-50 oil until the new motor is ready.
Old 08-22-2001, 09:41 PM   #4
evilmustang
Registered Member

Thumbs up

I use stp oil additive it cost about 1.98 (use the blue bottle). It helped me with oil consumption.
I would also reommend the suggested tests.
evilmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2001, 10:24 PM   #5
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

i havent noticed anything in the morning starts nor can i see anything in my rearview but i've had people tell me they've seen a decent amount of smoke when i hammer it, i also switched stangs with a friend for a little drive and i noticed it when he got on it in front of me, also i blew a head gasket a few months back and had the valve guides checked when i had the heads flattened and they are all ok, its not leaking anything, no puddles either and no oil on anything underneath the car

------------------
88 Notch, B&M Ripper, 3.73's, Ported E7's, Explorer int. w/ ported lower, pulleys, 1.7RR's, BBK headers, off-road H-pipe, flowmasters, subframes, 65mm TB, March ram air ,MSD coil, U/L control arms, 155lph f/p, Crane Adj.FPR, Nitto drag radials, best 1/4--> 13.76@101.4 on a 2.17 60ft
fiveohpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2001, 10:51 PM   #6
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Cool

Well, as far as additives I took this approach. Go to well supplied automotive chemicals place.

They'll have a bunch of oil stop burn products. Take each one, flip it upside down and see which bubble takes the longest to get to the top. That one is my choice. LOL.

In the old 77 Mustang II I had Gunk Stop Burn crap dropped oil consumption from 2qrts/week to 1 quart a month. After that, it began to lose effectiveness, I'd have to put in another bottle every couple months. I think it just leaked the crap onto the pavement.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote