MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-11-2001, 11:51 PM   #1
Shotgun28
Registered Member

Post Any tips before I start......

Well gang, the snow is finally gone, they will be sweeping the roads soon and I am ready to install some more spring mods. THese are the next things to go on and I am looking for any pointers or thoughts you may have for me.

1) GT40 P head install

2)replacing Flowtech long tubes w/ Mac long tubes

3) Cobra intake

4) Smog pump idler

That's all for now, I was thinking while the heads are off I would slither the long tubes in, and hang tie them until I put the heads in, so all I would have to do is line them up, what do you think. The install should be a lot easier. Anything else I should replace while I am at it, with money being an issue.. Thanks.

------------------
91 LX Convertible Gray on Red B&M Shift improver kit,ASP red alum. underdrive pulleys, Richmond 3.73 gears, 1 5/8 Flowtech long tube Headers and off road h-pipe, Flowmaster 2-chamber cat-back with S.S exhaust, MSD 6A Ignition with coil,Cap and rotor, Taylor Pro wires, K&N 12" conical filter system, Jet stage 2 performance chip,GT40 P heads, looking at new exhaust, Lentech Street Terminator plus.
Shotgun28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 01:41 AM   #2
smokedchevy
Registered Member

Talking

Do your headers fit your GT40p heads? Those are the explorer heads aren't they? If they are, I read that you can only fit this one brand of header made by this company on GT40p heads. And they were shorty headers. If they fit let me know. Gt40ps are very economical.
smokedchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 09:08 AM   #3
gray87GT
Registered Member

Kevin-
Just take it slow, and remember to put RTV around the water jackets on the head and intake side of the gaskets, and in the valley before and after the intake gaskets are laid down. Have fun with routing the vacuum lines to the cobra intake, it's not the same. I have some pics of mine if you need them. The cobra upper doesnt have the water jacket in it, so just buy 2 feet of 3/8"(I think) hose to bypass it...you'll see what I mean when you get the intake of. If ya need any help just e mail, maybe I can stop by.
gray87GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 12:06 PM   #4
PurgingPony
Registered Member

Take it slow and good luck

------------------
88LX 5.0,C4,3200stall,TFS stg 1 cam, ported E7's, BBK LT's, Race magnum bullets, ASP 3" pulley, 3.73's, ram air, air bag, skinnies, battery in the hatch, 75hp NOS Dry Kit, Explorer intake
8.21@82 N/A 1/8th C4
8.10@84 N/A 1/8th T-5
7.61@89 N2O 1/8th T-5 http://www.angelfire.com/ns/PurgingPony/50mainpage.html
PurgingPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 12:52 PM   #5
Shotgun28
Registered Member

Thanks gang.

SmokedChevy: the Mac long tubes are as far as I know the only long tubes that work without putting a dimple in the headers.

Gray87GT:Thanks man, not sure exactly where you are referring to with the gaskets, but I am sure that I will have a better picture when the intake is removed and the heads are gone.

PurgingPony: Thanks I will.

One thought, what about pre-lubing the heads, how do I go about doing this, so I don't run them dryer than normal. They are aseembled but bare right now. I know that I will have to change my oil after the fact, but I don't think that will be enough. Any ideas. Any ideas of what to change while the headers,intake, and heads are off? Okay well thank you guys and I will let you know how it goes, if the rain holds off I will work this weekend, well Friday-Sat. Thanks again

------------------
91 LX Convertible Gray on Red B&M Shift improver kit,ASP red alum. underdrive pulleys, Richmond 3.73 gears, 1 5/8 Flowtech long tube Headers and off road h-pipe, Flowmaster 2-chamber cat-back with S.S exhaust, MSD 6A Ignition with coil,Cap and rotor, Taylor Pro wires, K&N 12" conical filter system, Jet stage 2 performance chip,GT40 P heads, looking at new exhaust, Lentech Street Terminator plus.
Shotgun28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 02:08 PM   #6
gray87GT
Registered Member

When installing the pushrods and rockers, you put a dab of moly grease on each end of the pushrod, and on the valve stem tip. That should be all to worry about. You should prime the pump until the oil gets up into the heads.
gray87GT is offline   Reply With Quote