MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-21-2002, 10:51 AM   #1
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Default any way to trick the motor into going full rich?

Ok I'm trying to help a friend of mine rig up ingitors(flames out the tail pipes) on his 91 LX 5.0. My idea was to run power wire from the battery to a pair of coils, the onto spark plugs in the exhaust pipes.

Now we need fuel........Is there anyway to trick the O2 sensors making the motor go full rich? We'd like the to have it wired to a switch so that he's not running rich all the time.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 11:35 AM   #2
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

The computer will adjust the pulse width of the injector to keep it from running rich so I dont think that there is a way to make the engine run that rich.

This guy with a 240 sx has an injector from a CRX HF and a spark plug tapped into his exhaust pipe he hits a switch and the injector sprays fuel and the spark plug ignites it. The injector is a pretty good ways up stream in the exhaust and the spark plug is about a foot from the end of the pipe. When the gas hits the plug its a fine mist and burns nicely.

BTW it only works @wot if he hits it at part throttle the gas puddles in the exhaust pipe.

Hope this helps,
Later,
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 12:33 PM   #3
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

I would think the exhaust would melt the injector.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 02:25 PM   #4
BilLster
Registered Member

I did a search about six mounths ago and found a couple of companiess who make these type off kits my friend was looking for his 50 merc . his kit had a spark plug bung and tube that whent on the rear tail pipe and a sylenoid and fuel line similair to a n2o setup . the sylenoid is about a foot front the tail pipe the spark plug six inches father up. not something i would put on my car but on his merc its cool . oh yeah it also came with aircraft switches it was realy well done .
Old 06-21-2002, 04:49 PM   #5
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

He may have been full of crap for all I know I didnt get under his car and check.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 06:24 PM   #6
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Put the car into "limp" mode or create a large vacuum leak. This is an extremely easy thing to do with a speed density car as you can just pull the vacuum line running to the MAP sensor on the firewall. If you give the car a vacuum leak at the main vacuum tree. On a side note, this will plug catalytic converters, and could possibly damage the O2 sensors.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 07:47 PM   #7
PKRWUD

it's not going to idle with the MAP sensor unplugged, either. There is no smart way to do this with the existing set up, and as Unit pointed out, you will clog up your cats in record fast time. If you can find a method of injecting added fuel into the exhaust after the cats, then go for it. Otherwise, it's pretty foolish to even try.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 09:01 PM   #8
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Actually, my 87GT idles like it's cammed to holy hell with that thing disconnected. Every once in a while I'm tempted to pull it, and start the car up for some other racer and ask if he wants to race for titles. Hahahahah.

Ra-rump, rump, rumpity, ra ra rump rump. When you rev it, sounds normal all the sudden though, hehe.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 10:59 PM   #9
srv1
Get down.....

Exclamation be careful

be aware anytime you put the computer into "limp" mode, it not only goes to a basic fuel table, it also puts into base timing. it is designed to get you a repair shop and keep the car running. it actually is a base set of instructions. yeah it will go rich, but all the bad follows with it. if you want to "trick" the computer, put a restriction(but not totally restriced) in the vacuum line for the MAP sensor(if you have one) or you can put a inline restistor for the coolant temp. the easiest way is to put a 160 or 180 thermostat. this wont allow the computer to go into closed loop thus thinking the engine is still cold and adding fuel to the mixture, but not enough to change much of the timing or anything else(maybe the 160 will make it run the worst, some cars do some dont)