MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-20-2001, 11:34 AM   #1
SlowStang2
Registered Member

Question Anyone with a 94-95 stang gt that has done this?

Rumor has it the computer in these models retards timing during shifts. I called summit and asked them questions about mass air meters and this is where they told me they had a kit for the mass air meter, injectors, and a computer. The guy said it was a 93 computer and it runs a better program than the 94-95s. Well, is this just hype? Has anyone gotten an older computer and seen/felt a difference. As everyone feels, no sense spending money on a product that gives little or zero result. Thanks!

------------------
94' Stang GT Convertible --Cobra upper&lower, Mac cold air w/K&N, BBK equal length shorties, BBK offroad H-pipe, American Thunder cat-back, BBK T/B 65mm, 24lb injectors, Pro-77mm MAM, pulleys, aluminum driveshaft, 3.55s 14.4@100. (Sad, i know. i have stock heads)
SlowStang2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 12:07 PM   #2
andy669
Registered Member

Isnt that like 800 bucks? That whole deal is kinda screwey. Why not just get a custom chip for $300? You'll have better performance with a chip. I cant think of a reason why someone (i think it was best products) would come up with such a hairbrain idea. If you could get the whole thing for around a hundred bucks and save yourself some money versus a chip, then I could see there being a market for it. Also, i dont see how the manual specific computers can pull timing between shifts. I know on the automatics they do. There can be HUGE performance gains when putting a custom chip in a W4H0 (94-95 auto) computer. There needs to be a website that lists all the differences between the all the computers that they put in our cars. Then maybe we could decide for ourselves what one is best.
andy
andy669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 08:16 PM   #3
VibrantRedGT
Registered Member

You can't just take an older style computer and plug it in. It won't work.

There is a whole kit that Pro-M sells for $800. You get the computer, wiring harness, MAP sensor, BAP sensor, instructions and hardware.

Another option which was mentioned is a custom burned chip. You see our computers are actually better written than the older cars. In fact to well. So use the existing computer and rewrite it with a chip. Do not do a mail order chip. That won't help at all.

------------------
1994GT-Vibrant Red, FRPP GT-40X Heads, Scorpion 1.7 Roller Rockers, Crower 15511 Cam, Edelbrock Intakes, BBK 65MM Throttle Body, Pro-M 77MM Mass Air, FRPP 24# Injectors, Kirban Fuel Pressure Reg., MAC 1 5/8 Equal length headers, Bassani off road X, MAC Cat Back, March Pulleys, FRPP 3:55 gears, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, FRPP King Cobra Clutch, Steeda Upper/Lower Control Arms, G-Trac Bar, Strut Tower Brace, Steeda Sub Frames, FRPP 5300-C Srings, Auto Meter Fuel Pressure/Water Temp Guages and alot
VibrantRedGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2001, 12:54 AM   #4
95 King GT
Registered Member

I got a custom SuperChip for my 95 Auto GT it made a big difference.
95 King GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2001, 11:48 AM   #5
Killercanary
Registered Member

The above post are correct. The 94-95 GT computers do in fact pull timing between shifts, didn't you ever notice sometimes when your getting on it and shift a gear and nail the throttle and the car doesn't seem to do anything for a second, then it goes all of a sudden- that is the timing retard. Thgis was done to save ford from warrenty work on the T5's.

Slowstang- I must say I'm impressed with your times. I had 3.73's, pulleys, headers, X pipe, flowmasters, edelbrock intake, 65mm T-body, and nitto DR's. Before the DR's I could only muster a 14.3 at 96.5mph with a 2.08-2.09 60', with the nitto's I got it down to 13.8's at 98.55mph. This was with stock heads, cam, rockers, MAF, etc. If your trapping 100mph already, you got a good running car. I only found one other guy that had a 13 second 94-95 convertible, and he too was trapping 100mph.

------------------
1995 NA GT CONVERTIBLE
BEST ET: 13.27
BEST MPH: 105.17
AFR's, FTI cam, edelbrock intake, and lots more.
http://www.angelfire.com/pa2/killercanary

Killercanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2001, 01:51 PM   #6
Robert_5_liter
Registered Member

I have the same problem but the computer only gives you 28 degrees total advance at wot even with heads and cam intake they still lose power at 5000 rpm unlike a old car i have a computer to monitor that and it retards alot in the upper rpm range.

------------------
95 Mustang gt tfs stage1 cam,Trickflow street intake,MSD distributor,MSD Coil,Ram air,Underdrives,BBK shorties,BBK off road H pipe,Flowmaster 2 chamber exhaust,Hypertech chip,4.10 gears.Status,still hates his car
Best time 14.19
Best MPH 96.8
Best 60' 1.99
spinning 1 gear away going through traps in 4th at 5500 RPM

Robert_5_liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2001, 04:51 PM   #7
andy669
Registered Member

OK, you guys have convinced me that the T4M0's pull timing between shifts, and I know from experience that the W4H0's do. What about the J4J1 cobra computer, anybody know? I'm having minor glitches with my AODE to TKO conversion, and I thought about trying a manual specific computer, just for the hell of it.
andy
Old 07-21-2001, 09:27 PM   #8
blkrain

If U go to the articles (tech) on this site, it will tell U what the main differences are b/n the 94/95 EEC vs the 93 and older ones.

This is what I remember. We have load and torque sencing abilities (kinda like the OBDs) built into the computer. In other words, everytime U perform a mod, car will be faster till the computer learns a way around it to reduce the torque as much as possible (reducing HP in the process) and return as close to stock as it possibly can. This usually takes up to 3 days and over 50 miles of driving. If U want to bet, take your car to the track, run it and get a baseline. Then dyno tune it with just changes to the fuel pressure and timing. Drive around for a couple of days and go back to the track. You wil run withen ONE mph trap speeds as what U did the first time out assuming weather conditions remain the same. Oh yes it does retard timing b/n shifts as well.

The A9L computer utilised by the Pro-M unit has a more aggresive timing curve and not to mention without the other capabilities our computers have. It retails for about $430 (what I bought mine for) to $500 and contains everything that was mentioned above. I do not know where u guys got that $800 from, but the closest thing to that will be the higher end Speedbrain. That, my dear friends is badass!!! I have seen it at work and was truely impressed.

------------------
TFS heads, Holley intake, AFM B-2 cam,
Black SN95
13.8 @105mph NA
13.2 @112mph 80hp NOS
Wet track, running on NOS setting on NA runs (pig rich and 8 deg timing, WITH CLOGED CATS)

Old 07-21-2001, 09:31 PM   #9
blkrain

Ok I have been messing with my sig for a while now and it WILL NOT change completely Hope it works now

------------------
Black SN95
13.8 @105mph NA Wet track, running on NOS setting on NA runs (pig rich and 8 deg timing, WITH CLOGGED CATS)
12.9 @110mph best ET
13.06 @111mph best MPH
After gutting out clogged cats and a much better tune. Took Nitrous out for warranty work didn't have time to put back in for track.

Old 07-21-2001, 09:36 PM   #10
blkrain

Angry

Ok one last time and I don't care what it says anymore

------------------
Black SN95
13.8 @105mph NA
13.1 @112mph NOS on Wet track, running on NOS setting on NA runs (pig rich and 8 deg timing, WITH CLOGGED CATS)
[b]12.9 @110mph best ET

Old 07-22-2001, 12:03 PM   #11
SlowStang2
Registered Member

blkrain-your computer is made from pro-m and it costs $430?! Wow. or is that with mass air and injectors? cuz thats a mighty price to pay UNLESS it made you faster. Did it? or did it just protect the integrity of your mods so you can still get the same results? Reason I ask, is cuz in my first statement summit sells the kit for $530 and that includes the injectors and mass air also. i got a pro-m mass air meter and injectors calibrated for it, can i just buy the computer the same way as the mass air? (already calibrated for my setup) or do you have to do something else(e.g. send your computer to them)? i am torn between getting a chip or this computer. i know the chip should be the last mod, but if the computer keeping screwing up the potential in my mods, then i can never get a good time at the track now can i? so keep me posted please!

------------------
94' Stang GT Convertible --Cobra upper&lower, Mac cold air w/K&N, BBK equal length shorties, BBK offroad H-pipe, American Thunder cat-back, BBK T/B 65mm, 24lb injectors, Pro-77mm MAM, pulleys, aluminum driveshaft, 3.55s 14.4@100. (Sad, i know. i have stock heads)
SlowStang2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2001, 01:25 PM   #12
andy669
Registered Member

I cant tell you the pros and cons of a chip versus this pro-m computer because i've never had the pro-m thing. I do have a pro-m 75mm bullet and it works fine. I know they know what they are doing. However i can tell you what I gained with my custom chip. In my 94GT conv. AODE, stock convertor, f cam, X305's, gt40 manifolds, 65mmtb,pro-m 75 bullet, stock injectors, 3:73's, I went from 14.5 @ 97 to 14.0 @100. thats with no tirespin and terrible 2.2 60's. It was a dog off the line before I got the stall in. Best of all, if i ever change combinations, i just send the chip back and he'll burn me another program for 50 bucks. I had 4 programs to start out with. I'm having a hard time believing the pro-m computer is better in any way versus a good chip! Just 2 weeks ago, we put it in my friends daughters 95 AODE hardtop. First pass it went 14.3 @98 with tirespin. She was running 14.5 @95 before, with no spin.
andy
Old 07-22-2001, 03:27 PM   #13
jetuomi
Registered Member

The 94+ EEC is a next-gen processor, and, that means more MIPS..

What I'm trying to do is to disconnect the plastic connector near the clutch quadrant.

one is for the starter (ie: clutch pressed starts car) and the other is the one that measures if clutch press, send retard signal to computer.

disconnect this wire, and that will work better, and wait to burn a chip once you're done your motor !!!

------------------
94 GT (triple black)
K&N, FMS 9mm, FMS 95 17" Cobra R's, Aluminum Driveshaft, 3.27, 12* timing, MSD Coil, 180* thermostat, MAC Shifter/Gauges/Pedals, Euro Clear Projectors & Corners
My CAR!
Email me: jetuomi@yahoo.com
jetuomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2001, 11:40 PM   #14
95 King GT
Registered Member

Ok Here is the specs for the Pro-M 1994-95 Mustang improvement harness.

Removes 6-8 Degrees spark retard feature
0.5-0.7 sec Reduction in 1/4-mile times
Low speed & High speed fan operation
it's a Direct replacement- no modifications required.

$569.99

It sounds great until you hear the price.
95 King GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 05:12 PM   #15
Piston
Registered Member

If you are going to spend that much might as well by an Anderson computer from them. That one you can at least tune or have someone dyno tune your car. It keeps three programs for you. I got one and it cured lots of problems with my 94gt post cam. If you later desire you can hook up a laptop to it and run it down the track taking information down from your run. It's great.
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 05:13 PM   #16
blkrain

Red face

Guys guys don't get me wrong!!! A chip is a much better (and cheaper) solution than that kit I was just defendng its price (ie $430 instead of $800) and I was also trying to say a little something about what it actually does (since judging by the first few responses, most poeple did not know how it worked)

It comes with a A9L computer, so save yours for when U are getting rid of your car .
It also has a Map and Bap sensor. Adjustable fan controls (low speed and high speed controls), and conversion harness. It completely REPLACES your computer.

I think they stoped making them though. They have a new one (2nd gen.) which requires U to do some rewiring for about $250. And that might be what Summit is selling with mass-Air etc for $560 (hey injectors and mass air alone cost over $400, so its not too bad of a deal.)

But I will always recomend something like the EEC-tuner over that. The anderson unit is just as good, just a little more expensive. The Speedbrain will be my first choice if I had to do it again. Custom chips are great till U change things then need it reburned. U have to mail it off and wait up to a week to get it back (too much PITA for me). I did have a Custom chip on my car b4 I sold it, and it made a hell of a difference a the track.

Look at my times-13.0@111MPH NA (best trap speed) and 12.9@110MPH NA (best ET). Mind U, U can see the cords showing on my rear Firestone tyres when I went to the track. So I know our computers suck!!! and they need help. I couldn't run the NOS so.............
Old 07-24-2001, 09:27 PM   #17
andy669
Registered Member

When you guys mention the anderson computer, I assume you are talking about the PMS. It is manufactured by efi systems, anderson is just the only ford distributor for them. For a mild street car, the pms is way overkill. It becomes a great tuning tool when you are running a blower, or throwing a bunch of nitrous. The only thing I dont like about the pms, is the lack of control for the electric fan. Theres nothing. Everything else about it is great.
Old 07-24-2001, 11:25 PM   #18
Piston
Registered Member

The PMS is what I got and love it. If all you are going to do to your car is minor mods then I would probably avoid the PMS or the Speed Brain. Also, between the brain and PMS, I was told told that the people that support it (which was like 2 or 3) are getting lazy about helping people out. They are a small little company and I don't know what kind of support you will get. Then again who knows about the PMS but when I was buying my a couple of sources told me to go with the PMS unit. So I did. Then I took it to Anderson to tune it. The car feels a lot better since the tune. Lets just say 325 rwhp but prior to that I don't think I was breaking 300 rwhp. I don't think Anderson is the best place to bring it for a tune either. I think someone else can squeee more power out my car. The thing I'm trying to say is go with something that's going to be around for a while. My information is not 100% accurate it's going off what people had said.

If you are serious about your EFI setup and have a craze for HP then go and buy the right thing the first time. If you are going to keep it mild then get a burnt chip or something along those lines. A 93 computer helps but I don't think it does as much good as a custom chip.
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: