MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-02-2003, 01:38 PM   #1
Trefty
Registered Member

Default '87-'93 GT and GT Cobra

Hey. I'm pretty new to the Mustang scene and was wondering if someone could tell me what the differences are between a Mustang GT and a GT Cobra from an '87-'93 Mustang? I'm looking at buying an '87 GT Cobra and I'm unsure what the differences are from a GT(I've driven and looked at GT's before but never a Cobra). Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Trefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 01:56 PM   #2
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

http://www.mustanggt.org/main.htm
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 02:07 PM   #3
PaxtonBlownStang
Registered Member

Default 87 Cobra? no no no

Well you probably have not driven a Fox Body Cobra before because there were under 5000 of them made in 1993 and I dont think you will be buying a 87 GT Cobra because there is no such thing. The only Fox Body Cobras were made in 1993 and they are pretty easy to recognize. Check out ebay or autotrader and look at them they have different wheels made just for them, body kit, intake, computer, injectors and so on are also different. So there you go there is no such thing as a GT Cobra and if someone is trying to tell you there is one or sell you one walk away laughing and never talk to them again. If you are just confused we all will understand because we all started where you are. Subscribe to 5.0 Mustang or Muscle Mustang and read about them for a couple months before buying one. If you are just starting off I would go with a GT or LX from 87-93 and not look into buying a 93 Cobra they are a little expensive compared to a used fox body and probably not the best car for a learning car which most people end up crashing or beating to death anyways. I started off with a 92 LX Hatchback with 110k miles that I drove until 140k just for reference. Take it easy hope I could help a little
PaxtonBlownStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 02:16 PM   #4
Trefty
Registered Member

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

As for the car I'm looking at, the seller isn't claiming it as a Cobra, but I checked ou the history reports from ICBC(Insurance Corporation of British Columbia), and it was in a collision in 1999 and they have it listed as a 1987 Mustang GT Cobra 2 DR Hatchback, seems a bit strange. But if Cobra's were started in '93, then that helps me out a lot! Thanks for dealing with my ignorance...
Old 12-02-2003, 02:30 PM   #5
Big Bopper
Registered Member

"Trefy"

Carefull of what you take to heart from ICBC I bought a 90 GT convertable did a "dec" search it said only a couple of accidents under $500 some how they missed that the car had been written off !!!!!!!! My loss they said that sometimes stuff does'nt get entered into the data base ...

Check the front apron for damage it's pretty easy to see iif there has been any major damage...

Good luck...

If you want buy mine I'm broke and will sacrifice it for $3500.00 canadian...
Old 12-02-2003, 02:33 PM   #6
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

Here is just some very general info for you that may clear up some misconceptions that are out there.

The only difference between the GT and 5.0 LX between 87 and 93 is the looks. GT's had different wheels, ground effects, etc.

Both cars had the same 5.0 engine and made the same power.

In 1990 (1989 for California models) all the Mustangs went to a mass air flow system. Before that the stangs used the speed density system. The mass air flow is generally considered better and easier to tune once you start making modifications to the engine, although plenty of people go fast with speed density too.

In 1990, airbags were added.

And as stated before, 1993 was the only year the Cobra was produced in these years.

1990 LX
GT-40 motor 262 horsepower, 307ft-lbs (sold but forever loved)

1998 Contour SVT

Rice Haters Club Member #244
Hethj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 02:44 PM   #7
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Actully there IS a GT Cobra. 1987-1993 Canadian GT's were listed as GT Cobra's. It's just a few stickers, they're just a GT. I dunno why Ford did that, but they did.

-Josh, aka the tireburner

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 03:04 PM   #8
Trefty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tireburner163
Actully there IS a GT Cobra. 1987-1993 Canadian GT's were listed as GT Cobra's. It's just a few stickers, they're just a GT. I dunno why Ford did that, but they did.
That is likely the answer to my question then. I'm positive that I have seen pre-'93 GT's with Cobra emblems on them, I guess they are just that though.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:12 PM   #9
Trefty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Bopper
Carefull of what you take to heart from ICBC I bought a 90 GT convertable did a "dec" search it said only a couple of accidents under $500 some how they missed that the car had been written off !!!!!!!! My loss they said that sometimes stuff does'nt get entered into the data base ...

Check the front apron for damage it's pretty easy to see iif there has been any major damage...

Good luck...
Thanks for the tips! I know that the car has been in at least one collision, but it was on the passenger side at the rear. The damage was reported at just under $1000, so it wasn't too serious. The other claims on the car were for theft(stereo was stolen and valuables were stolen), and minor vandalism(car was keyed). The car looks like it is in pretty good shape and has low KM's for an '87(155,000 km). I checked out the registration's from ICBC and it appears that the odometer hasn't been rolled back(every GT I've looked at in Vancouver has had odometer fraud...). I can't believe that ICBC would miss something as big as a car being written off, but apparantly they sell a lot of cars that way, maybe your's was one of them? All in all, ICBC is pretty useless...

Quote:
If you want buy mine I'm broke and will sacrifice it for $3500.00 canadian... [/B]
I've actually already made an offer on the car I'm looking at(it's on Van. Island), but that is a sacrifice if you'd sell it for $3500(assuming it's in decent shape)! What type of condition is it in? How many km's? 5 speed? I'm not too interested in getting a convertible, but for $3500, that's be pretty hard to pass up. In any case, I'm in Powell River, so I'm only a ferry away!
Old 12-02-2003, 03:30 PM   #10
Big Bopper
Registered Member

needs paint (white) top is good,ya its a 5 speed with a "pro-5.0" shifter About $450 New.. 165000kms....it needs a GT nose ($400) has a LX nose on it ....long story...

This car is RUFF.....But I'm on strike and its X-mas sooo....

Just a thought ...Take care, and good luck with your car shopping....

In Sechelt... Big Bopper.

P.S.Just took this picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic of 5.0.jpg (60.1 KB, 42 views)
Old 12-04-2003, 08:47 AM   #11
tmoss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Trefty
I checked out the registration's from ICBC and it appears that the odometer hasn't been rolled back(every GT I've looked at in Vancouver has had odometer fraud...).
It's not necessarily fraud. My carfax came up with odometer irregularities. When you look at the report, you can see that the mileage was misreported 100,000 miles due to the odometer only showing 99,999 miles. Mine rolled over once and was not reported with 100,000+ miles. That can happen if the car changes hands a few times. at that 100K mark.
88Gt 5spd Vert, FLowmaster Catbacks, stock cam advanced 4° @ 108.5° ICL, NMRA prepped GT40P heads 1.85/1.55 valves and 1.7 rockers, MAC P headers Jet-Hot coated, 97 Exlporer intake (ported lower), TB and injectors. 277RWHP/330RWTQ (SAE).

http://www.fastlanecars.com/
tmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 04:27 PM   #12
bottlebaby91
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hethj7

In 1990 (1989 for California models) all the Mustangs went to a mass air flow system. Before that the stangs used the speed density system. The mass air flow is generally considered better and easier to tune once you start making modifications to the engine, although plenty of people go fast with speed density too.

Wrong.......in 89 all mustangs were mass air, 88 cali cars were mass air.

All 5.0s used forged pistons from 86-mid 92. 93 had hyper pistons. Also, rear seat belts changed along with different speedos and so on in 89. In 89 ford also removed the center arm rest, but because people didnt like that idea they were put back in.
bottlebaby91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 05:08 PM   #13
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

Thanks Bottlebaby! I don't know how I screwed that up and I don't know how it didn't get caught until now.

Sorry if my info screwed anyone up. That is general info that I've have known since I joined this board....I don't know why I got my years screwed up there.

1990 LX
GT-40 motor 262 horsepower, 307ft-lbs (sold but forever loved)

1998 Contour SVT

Rice Haters Club Member #244
Hethj7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: