MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-22-2001, 08:58 PM   #1
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Angry Anyone have a external Aeromotive or Cartech fuel system please help

How are you guys running the fuel setup? I can't figure out why my fuel pump is making a lot of noise during ignition and not pushing the fuel into the rails? I have something screwed up and I can't figure out what it is b/c the fuel system came with the car and I never had any instructions. I am doing something wrong...this is my first time and I'm still learning. I had a leak coming off of the fuel pickup into the pump and fixed it but the motor still won't crank and the fuel rails and feed line have nu fuel in them. All I smell is fumes. I am so disappointed that I actually posted 2 topics about this. Is there anyone that can describe how they are running heir lines? For some reason I keep thinking that the fuel is supposed to go into the filter first, then the pump. I think my setup is wrong but I hve nothing to verify with. Any help would be appreciated.
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2001, 09:48 PM   #2
stanglx347

Well let me just post how my EFI was setup then I will go on to describe how my Carb setup is now arranged.

When I was running fuel Injection last year, I had an IN-Tank 190 Pump with the Stock Pickup. From there it ran to the stock Fuel Filter. From the Stock Fuel Filter it ran to the front of the car where in then snapped into the Stock Fuel Rails. I had a Kirban Adj. Reg.
A Fuel Gauge was plugged into the Test Port on the Fuel Rail.

So that was my stock setup. Also I ran 30# injectors. If fuel is not getting to the rails then something is clogged or not setup right.

Now let me move onto my Carb setup, a bit different.

I have a Stock tank that has been modified with a Sump on the back. From there a 10-AN Line comes from the tank to a Aeromotive Fuel Fitler. From the Fuel Filter it goes to a Holley Blue Pump. The line runs from the Pump to the front of the car where it attaches to my Holley Fuel Regulator which is currently set to 7.5 PSI (Carbs take allot less pressure). From the Regulator it splits off into a Holley 750HP Carburetor.
At this point I get to watch my Gas Gauge drop really fast .

Ok, hope that helps.

Please post more details and maybe we can get this sorted out.
Old 07-22-2001, 09:53 PM   #3
stanglx347

Lightbulb

Here is something that has always helped me fix and learn how to setup my Fuel/Electrical ANYTHING!!

Take a piece of paper and draw out everything from the back to the front of the car. Map out every part and line on paper. Then you can have that infront of you when you call around to different shops to ask questions. I do that allot, if I have my notes in front of me I don't forget any details then if I try to describe something to someone by just memory alone.

And take advantage of allot of these Performance shops on the magazines. The places usually have people who will take the time to help out a fellow Stang'er in trouble. Usually the advice is free (except the call) but if they help you with your problem you just might come back to buy something from them.
Old 07-23-2001, 06:20 AM   #4
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Is there any way I could find a correct diagram of how the fuel flow is supposed to be routed?? I think I have something backwards. Is the pump is supposed to "suck" from the tank into the pump and "push" through the filter into the rails?
Old 07-23-2001, 06:33 AM   #5
stanglx347

Assuming you have a somewhat stock setup, the EFI Fuel Pump sits in the tank so it is submerged in fuel anyway. But yes, it dues draw (suck) fuel and push it into the Fuel Filter, all the way up to the rails.

Allot of Hi-Po Shops sell Books on the 5.0 Mustang. These have pretty diagrams on the fuel systems. I think even regular parts stores sell those Auto Manuals which give an OK description of the fuel setup.
Old 07-23-2001, 08:07 AM   #6
stanglx347

Red face

Ignore my horrendous spelling and grammar; it is horrendous early in the morning and late at night. Unfortunately, also the two times I tend to post.

Old 07-23-2001, 08:26 AM   #7
stanglx347

Angry

GRRRRRRR!

SmasshHH KEYBoard!!!!!
Old 07-23-2001, 08:29 AM   #8
go4it
Registered Member

Some fuel systems have a filter before and after the pump. Some with one filter usually have the filter after the pump. I would verify that the pump is installed right, then I would take the outlet hose off of the pump and put a short hose on it, stick the hose in a jug or something to catch the fuel and run the pump. Here is a link to a typical fuel system if it works. http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/7713/fuel.htm
------------------
93GT, S-trim (2.95 pulley), SFMU, Stage 2 TFS TW heads, Stage 2 Cobra intake, AFM powerpipe, PRO-M 75mm massair, 75mm throttle body, 42lb.inj. 1 5/8 headers, 2 1/2 h-pipe and exhaust, 2 chamber Flowmasters, 3.55 gears, Ultradyne cam, Elder.timing gears, Black Magic fan, FMS aluminum radiator, MSD6al/BTM, MSD coil, MSD shift light, subframe connectors, A-pillar gauges, Pro-5.0 shifter.

[This message has been edited by go4it (edited 07-23-2001).]
go4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 11:17 AM   #9
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. FYI-I am not running an in tank type of pump. Mine has the fuel filter screwed into the pump and they are both bolted onto a plate behind the tank. For some reason I keep thinking that the pickup it clogged but there is a filter type screen attached over the pickup tubes so that theory might not be true. The biggest problem is that the car sat for almost 2 years and when I emptied the tank earlier in the year some green fuel poured out of the tank. Don't know what type of fuel is was but I think it was the cause for my line from the pickupto the tank rotting for the inside out. I think I should drain the tank and look for sediments or dirt clogging the pickup tube. But once again I don't kno how the pickup could be clogged with the screen over it. Right about now I'm will ing to try anything. Thanks again