MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-16-2004, 10:29 PM   #1
tfish
Registered Member

Default 5.0 crate into a 67 (project)

My son and I just stated this project..this is mostly info for others.
I hope to upadate this thread as we go.

Picked up the new ford racing 5.0 (M-6007-XB3) yesterday and began getting it ready to put into a 67 mustang with a C-4. The motor comes in a big wooden crate that fits in the back of a pick-up truck with a camper shell..at over 400 pounds it's not lite...the two of us were able to get it un-crated and onto the engine stand with some muscle.
We began to swap out a couple of the things that need to be
switched..from the old motor to the new one. The old timing chain cover and water pump..you will also need to add the esentric for the mechanical fuel pump if your still going that route. The new motor comes with a 50 oz harmonic balancer with a built in pulley for sepentine belts...so we needed to scrounge up a new 50 oz with double v-belt pulleys..so off to the local auot wreckers I went today..I think I got the right one..out of a 85 Thunderbird..the new one (from the junk yard) has a single pulley that takes four bolts to hold it on..the problem is we need a double pulley..so back to the junkyard tomorrow..to see if I can find a double 4 bolt pulley.
The motor comes un painted..the oil pan is painted black but the
block and heads (aluminum) are unpainted..so last night he painted the block..old ford blue.
We have run into our first hurdle..We've been to
the junk yard twice and can't seem to find the right double pulley togo with the 50 oz harmonic balancer that has a 4 bolt pattern...unlike the 28oz that has a 3 bolt pattern..lots of cars with 4 bolt serpentine pulleys but not many with v-belt pulleys..the closest was a quad pulley off a 77 lincoln town car..can't seem to find the right diameter or depth double pulley that we need so it looks like we're gonna bolt everything up to the front of the motor and then turn a double pulley from a chunk of 6" dia aluminum that I have...that way all the belts will line up for sure..(hopefully)..
MY son got the old motor out yesterday and we started on getting the new one ready to go in. The pin in the end of the cam on the new motor is too short to be used with an essentric..It was easily removed with vise grips. The pin from the old motor is longer..The essentric hits on the inside of the timing chain cover so we turned it down .375 which gave us good clearance and plenty of room for the arm on the fuel pump..The new block comes with alignemnt pins for the timing cover..these are also removesd easily..there are threads in the bottom of these holse..so all of the bolt holes can be used on the old timing chain cover

more to come

Tony
tfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 11:10 PM   #2
Fat0eknee
I'm slow ...I know.

g/l with the swap man
Fat0eknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 09:14 PM   #3
era427tp
Registered Member

I believe March make the right pulley,check Jeg's catalog.....or on line.
era427tp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 08:39 PM   #4
tfish
Registered Member

Well we got everything ready to go into the car. Everything matched up just fine. The C4 bellhousing and the motor mounts bolted right up. The Hooker headers were a bit of a pain..but they were with the old motor too. We went with MSD ignition and after getting all the electrical wired up we filled all the fluids Tranny, Engine and Radiator. Now for the mount of thruth..My son gets in the car and turns it over. all we get is a bunch of back firing and flame out the carb...we go over everything and figure out we have the firing order right but going clockwise on the dist cap instead on counter clockwise. We got that straightened out and by that time it was pretty flooded. The next evening we were able to get back to it. So with the correct firing order 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 and the plugs on the cap going in the right direction we gave it another try. Better but still not running. We change the timing from one side to the other and finnaly we get it running. I put a timing light on it and it's not even on the scale..I think the 50 oz harmonic balancer that we got fron the junkyard is set for a car with the pointer on the passenger side and we needed one with the scale on the drivers side..no biggie..it runs very smooth with a nice lop..we are still dialing it in. But are very happy with how it's turned out to this point. with about 100 miles on it now we still have atleast 400 miles to go before we can see how much power it really has!
Tony
tfish is offline   Reply With Quote