MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-26-2001, 08:08 PM   #1
joey50gt
Registered Member

Post AOD $HIT/ OR T5 SWAP?(PLEASE HELP)

how much money do you guys think it would cost me to have all new clutches and an A od servo and a solid input shaft and a new valve body with a 2800 stall put in my AOD?
my friend said it would cost me about $5,000 to have that done.
or do you guys think it would be cheaper for me to do a t5 swap?
what do you guys think i would see better gains from the t5 swap or putting all that $hit in to my AOD?(I need the best bang for the buck)cause i am not made out of money here.
Thanks to any help given ahead of time.
joey50gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2001, 08:28 PM   #2
13sec95vert
Registered Member

Thumbs up

i dont know where hurst texas is but if its anywhere near houston theres a place called strictly performance(www.strictlypro.com). i got a 5 speed swap from an aod and it cost me $2400. They said if i had a 86-93 5.0 it would have been more like $2000. anyways i love the 5 speed its much faster than the aod was. For a good aod with a good converter it will cost about $2400 for a lock up lentech street terminator aod.(www.lentechautomatics.com)

------------------
1995 gt convertible:
3.55 gears, underdrive pulleys, cobra intake , fenderwell cold air, 65mm throttle body, 75mm mass air meter, off-road h pipe, borla cat back, 155lph fuel pump, yokohama a520(drag radials) 275s, 5 speed conversion with t-5 and all ford racing parts a ram clutch and a dino tuned diablo chip done at strictly performance in houston
13sec95vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2001, 03:52 AM   #3
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

it all depends on what you are planning on doing with the car, if your just gonna bang it around on the street a little then the stock T-5 swap would be good, but if your planning on really beating on it then a stock T-5 or AOD just wont cut it, to swap to the manual with a beefy tranny will probably set you back $2500, check out www.stangparts.com , they have complete kits with tremec tranny's there, if you wanna stay with the AOD and want it strong then go with lentech street terminator for about $2000, or if your not planning on really banging on it, just get a good stall converter (PI stallion is supposed to be awesome, but pricey, about $700), lentech valve body ($350) and a hardened shaft ($250), looking at all this money for the AOD is making me think about the T-5 swap again

------------------
88 Notch, 3.73's, Ported E7's, Explorer int. w/ ported lower, pulleys, 1.7RR's, BBK headers, off-road H-pipe, flowmasters, subframe connectors, 65mm TB, shift kit, March ram air ,MSD coil, U/L control arms, 155lph fuel pump, cheap 2800 stall, Crane Adj.FPR, best 1/4--> 13.77@101.35
fiveohpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:54 PM   #4
slowtrucker
Registered Member

Default Re: AOD $HIT/ OR T5 SWAP?(PLEASE HELP)

If you want your AOD to work better take it to a good local transmission shop;ask around the car dealers usually have a shop that they use to send out work. Ask people at the strip or truck pulls. If I was changing the trans I would go with a six speed manual; if you are 1/4 mile racing a 5 speed will get to 5th it is over when your 6 speed in in fith your pulling away. I worked in a transmission shop for years I don't know why anyone would want an AOD, I have one in a pick up and it is underwhelming. (read Road and Track)

The other thing I would look at is a vortech supercharger with around 5 lbs of boost. I have talked to a lot of old speed shop guys they know. I have driven a supercharger for 4 years; the best of both worlds especially for a small block; it gives torque when you need it. If you go higher on the boost I would be thinking about forged pistons and connecting rods.
slowtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:19 PM   #5
missingxtension
Registered Member

well i actually know a lot of mechanics in the dallas area. If you take out the transmission and get the parts yourself, i can hook you up with mechanics that rebuild transmissions all day. They would only charge about $250 to $400. I have rebuilt aode and aod before and its not really a hard thing to do yourself.
If you do want some numbers hit me up a message and i will get it on my email. As far as turn around, it could be the next day.
missingxtension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:29 PM   #6
goodyear1984
Registered Member

well an aod is a piece of shit,the aode is alittle better i think that the 1992 and up but eaither way they dont handle to much power stock.this is what i would do if your trying to get the most et for the 1/4 mile go with the t5 you can do the swap cheep just look on craigslist and ebay,you will need pedals ,clutch cable,tranny,bellhousing,clutch and flywheel.i know redneck proformance makes a c4 tranny to hold 800hp has a tranny brake and comes with a converter for 1300bucks and it works great.you should check with them if ur really set on the aod,alot of times with auto trannys its almost cheeper to buy one built then to get the parts and build it or have it built

your best bet would be to buy a transmission like a tko tremec if u want a 5 speed or built c4 or aod, because as soon as u start doing mods to the engine and getting some more horsepower you dont have to worrie about blowing up your tranny
347 stroker all forged,arp everything,stud mains w/girdle,7qt pan,full roller, custom cam, aluminum heads swirl valves 5 angle valve job.quick fuel 750,areomotive pump,cobras w/nitto drags,and m/t et drags for the track, ford racing 373 gears,centerforce clutch,tko500,underdrive pulleys,bassani x-pipe,flowmasters
^best et so far 11.6 1.61 60ft coming soon 9sec et's
1992 mustang gt
2001 gmc 1500 4x4
78 century boat
92 skidoo
goodyear1984 is offline   Reply With Quote