MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-15-2001, 10:11 PM   #1
blu oval
Registered Member

Angry AOD problems !!! = (

heh isnt this my luck just got gears now my tranny is being a STuPID! I got 4:10's for my AOD i dont got the speedo fixed yet but my car isnt switching to OD why i dont you thats why im asking you. Im going like 60 or so and im at 3000 rpm .. didnt do it yesterday but its doing it today help me please
and my buddys day has a C4 laying around in the garage
blu oval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2001, 10:35 PM   #2
macx
Registered Member

for od to work, the od band has to apply
and the primary (first gear)clutch pack has to release.
As the primary clutch pack has to engage to
make 1st gear work, I'd suspect the od band
is shot or you wouldn't have first, especially since the od band is a weak spot in an AOD anyway. Unfortunately, the od band cannot be changed without removing and disassembling the major assemblies out of the trans. You MIGHT be able to verify that by manually shifting 1st, then going D and back to 1st to get a "manual" second gear shift. In that situation, the od band also applies (not when the trans shifts itself) but I'm not sure if you might not have 2nd anyway even if the od band is shot. Might be worth a try, though. I did my own rebuild/upgrade a couple yrs ago, but I can't remember for sure if you can see any of the od band by dropping the pan and maybe the valve body. Although I'm pretty sure if it IS shot you'd have some burned smelling and probably dark fluid, and a bunch of gray gummy stuff in your pan. I'm sending you via email some info I learned about AOD's when I did mine and have learned since. (that's if your email addr is posted, if not email me at clas@eoni.com and I'll send it. anybody else, too, if you'd like) good luck!
PS The other but less likely possibilities are a sticky valve body, sticky governor, or a bad od band accumulator (which you CAN get to by just dropping the pan and valve body) Go to a library and look in the big Chilton type manuals for a break down and how-to on tearing into an AOD. You can usually photo copy there, too.
macx is offline   Reply With Quote