MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-14-2003, 10:21 AM   #1
kiku2sleep
Registered Member

Default AOD problems, Aod-T5 conversion+rebuild

My aod is making a funny noise. It sounds like I am dragging something. I put it on jack stands and it sounds like the noise is coming from the front of the transmission. It still goes through all the gears. The noise is fairly loud in 1st and reverse, you can’t really hear it once it shifts up. I am not going to sink much money into an AOD because I hate automatics. I have been looking into doing an AOD to t5 conversion. My friend has a T5 he will give me but it needs to be rebuilt. Where is the best/cheapest place to get the conversion? I have found a couple places but I am awaiting them to e-mail me back with a price. How hard is it to rebuild a t5 and what is the best rebuild kit to buy. If I were to bring the T5 up to a shop how much would they charge? Any extra info/advice on the subject will be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-14-2003, 12:06 PM   #2
richd
Registered Member

I rebuilt my T-5 about a year ago. Do a search here for stuff like rebuilt, rebuild, trans, transmission with my username (richd) specified on the right. I should have a few posts with info on what to do.

Beware, if you have to start replacing shafts or gears the cost shoots up quickly. A full rebuild without replacing parts would run you about $250 if you do it yourself, $400 if you send it to someone, and more if they have to remove/reinstall the tranny themselves.

Mine was $700 in parts, I did all the work myself. See my posts for more details.

Good luck,

Rich D.
richd is offline   Reply With Quote