MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-21-2002, 05:08 AM   #1
Mach 1
Registered Member

Default AOD rebuild?

Im contemplating rebuilding my AOD myself. To the best of my knowledge, its fairly easy with the exception of a couple seals that are a pain in the *** to install and require a special tool.

Any one out there done this and have any advice?
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 11:26 AM   #2
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

Mach 1,

I've never done it, and I haven't seen more than a couple of articles briefly describing all it entails.

However, I did see a technical referance manual at Hastings at one time on rebuilding AOD transmissions. It was similar to a Haynes or Chilton manual. You might look around for something like that.

Also, I know that there are videos out there as well. I'll try to see if I can come up with a company. That would be the route I would take.

Good luck.

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 11:30 AM   #3
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

Here's some stuff I found....

The Haynes Ford Automatic Transmission Overhaul Manual:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...801353-2445450

And the Ford AOD (overdrive) Transmission Rebuild Video:

http://www.speeddirect.com/videos2.html

Hope that helps.

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 01:12 PM   #4
88COBRA
STANGPOWER.COM

Hey MACH,

The AOD rebuild is a task I think anyone with some mechanical ability could do.

I have the book from Hayes, it is a very VERY good manual.

It will save you allot of money for sure!

That being said, I am still very nervous about the whole thing. I mean there are SO many parts in that thing, imagine if you missed one!!

Cheers,

My WebSites:
VortechPower.com - Brand new site for Vortech users!
NOVIPOWER.COM - Devoted to the performance of the NOVI supercharger
STANGPOWER.COM - A small community based in Canada for Mustangs
MORE WebSites Coming soon

PLEASE NOTE: I am not an affiliate (nor do I work for) any Mustang parts retailers - I create informational Mustang WebSites
88COBRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 06:25 PM   #5
Mach 1
Registered Member

I have the Haynes manual, and your right, there are a million pieces inside...

I guess Ill give it a shot...moneys tight and I have the mechanical background, just dont know if i have enough room in my garage to lay all those parts out or the patience..

I called Lentech, that guy was cool...cracked me up with the Canadien accent..."What kind of drums do you have, eh?"

He wanted to know what kind of drums were inside, stamped steel, or cast iron, and was going to custom build me a rebuild kit around that information.

Lentech prices were lower than the competition as far as kits go...and they seemed real knowledgeable.

Im still debating.....well, i have to get it pulled first...anyone free this weekend.....
RHC member #142
Old 03-21-2002, 07:05 PM   #6
Doctor DeBo
Registered Member

The factory shop manual is what I used and it was of great help when I rebuilt mine.The only thing that is hard is trying to keep every thing clean when you reassemble it,keeping things clean is imparative so find the cleanest place possible.
92LX 5.0 Hatch,4.10 gears Auburn Pro,Mosser axels,alum drive shaft AOD hi ratio gear set,3200 stall TCI conv,Bassani long tube headers/cats,2 chamber flow masters,2.5inch exhaust,331 stroker,alum GT40 heads ported,Omega 1.7 roller rockers,JE forged pistons,Eagle rods,E cam,GT40 upper/lower intake,70mm mass,73mm Pro M bullet,MSD ignition,Cartech fuel sys w/external Aeromotive fuel pump,30lb injectors,Vortech S trim,Tubular front end,D&D coil overs up front
Doctor DeBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 08:58 PM   #7
Mach 1
Registered Member

I have a factory shop manual for a 1990 Lincoln Mark VII, and I think there is tranny coverage in it. So with that and the Haynes manual, I should be ok?

Was there any seals that you couldnt remove and replace without a special tool?
RHC member #142
Old 03-21-2002, 09:29 PM   #8
PKRWUD

Chris-
I can't offer any help, but I can tell you that knowing you as well as I do, I have no doubt that you'll be successful. I did take a transmission class at the local cc 15 years ago, but mostly worked with GM tranny's. I don't recall anybody having any trouble with the Ford tranny's, but then again, they were either C4's or C6's. You'll be fine. Just read up on it first.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 09:45 PM   #9
Unit 5302
Registered Member

I don't think it will be that big of a deal. I've rebuilt A4LD's before with the aid of some unorthodox tools and procedures, lol. It wasn't very hard, and a lot of the parts in the book all fit together. No secret pieces that I could see. The AOD was quite a bit different, but probably not any harder.

Good luck.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 05:12 PM   #10
Doctor DeBo
Registered Member

The only thing that may require special tooling would be a puller for the pump housing.Take a measurement from the face of the pump housing to the edge of the trans mount face and be sure that the pump is at that same depth on reassemble,that is if you are putting all new guts.I put a high ratio gear set in and I remember that being a factor.
92LX 5.0 Hatch,4.10 gears Auburn Pro,Mosser axels,alum drive shaft AOD hi ratio gear set,3200 stall TCI conv,Bassani long tube headers/cats,2 chamber flow masters,2.5inch exhaust,331 stroker,alum GT40 heads ported,Omega 1.7 roller rockers,JE forged pistons,Eagle rods,E cam,GT40 upper/lower intake,70mm mass,73mm Pro M bullet,MSD ignition,Cartech fuel sys w/external Aeromotive fuel pump,30lb injectors,Vortech S trim,Tubular front end,D&D coil overs up front
Old 03-23-2002, 07:13 AM   #11
scott9050
Registered Member

I had mine rebuilt with Lentech components and could not have been happier. Good luck on your project.
scott9050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 11:39 AM   #12
SkadonyaCA
Registered Member

Default Do it!

I just rebuilt my AOD tranny about two months ago. It is REALLY easy. The hardest part is getting it in and out of the car. I have the AOD rebuild video. Sat in the garage with the video and just worked. It takes patience, but its really easy! You're right, there are some things you don't want to do without the right tools, but rather than buying the tools just take the parts to a tranny shop and they'll do it for you for pretty cheap, around $20 is what I paid to have my piston rings done. If you want I'll send you the video. You also want the Mustang book, I have a Chilton, so that you have the instructions on the right way to get out the tranny, but I can photo copy that for you if you don't already have one.

Email me if you want advice, the video, whatever. I'm a 23 yr old female who just started working on her own car about 6 months ago, basically I feel like if I can do this anyone can!

Amanda
Ford racing springs; KYB gas adjust shocks/struts; Intake (undecided); Approx. 12 degree timing; GT-40 P heads (ported); GT-40 P headers (ported); Cobra Rockers; 65 mm Throttle body; EGR spacer; 80 mm Lightning MAF; 3.55 Ford Racing Gears; CustomChip; B&M high stall torque converter; tranny cooler; fuel pressure regulator and gauge; 175 Amp Alternator; 2000 watt Audiobahn/panasonic soundsystem; CD w/Changer, 2 - 10" Aluminum Subs; audiobahn 1 farad capacitor; Dual Cut-outs just past the primary Cats; MAC cold air induction; Reverse Indiglo guages; 9mm Wires; Window tint; underdrive pulleys
_ ___________________ _
2001 Silver GT Convert. Automatic Black top
SkadonyaCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 12:34 PM   #13
Mach 1
Registered Member

So, do I need the pump puller for sure, or can it be taken out without it?

Going to the tranny shop for a couple seals seems like a good and inexpensive idea.

Amanda...you will send me the video? You rock! Check your e-mail.

If removing the tranny is really the hardest part, then I should have no problems. I can remove the tranny in my sleep, you get familiar with removing these things being an AOD owner...lol.
RHC member #142

Last edited by Mach 1; 03-23-2002 at 12:41 PM..
Old 03-23-2002, 12:42 PM   #14
Mach 1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scott9050
I had mine rebuilt with Lentech components and could not have been happier. Good luck on your project.
Did you have to determine if the drums were cast iron or stamped steel before Lentech sent you the rebuild kit?

Or did they just send you a "general" rebuild kit?
RHC member #142
Old 03-23-2002, 12:53 PM   #15
PKRWUD

Amanda-

Welcome to the site! Where in Ventura are you? I love it when more locals show up here!

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 03:04 PM   #16
SkadonyaCA
Registered Member

Default Ventura

Quote:
Originally posted by PKRWUD
Amanda-

Welcome to the site! Where in Ventura are you? I love it when more locals show up here!

Take care,
-Chris
Right now I am over near City Hall and downtown. I moved back from Tucson, AZ a little over a month ago, and figured with modeling I don't want to deal with a place of my own anymore, so I am living at home (its weird, haven't been here in almost 10 yrs! I went to Thacher up in Ojai.) What about you? My email is aej@ididitmyway.com

was sure, but now I am not. Thought we would be going to the street races in Camarillo tonight. Will be with Skyler (the '89 Red Saleen). Don't know if I will be taking mine out. But with the crappy weather....

Amanda
Ford racing springs; KYB gas adjust shocks/struts; Intake (undecided); Approx. 12 degree timing; GT-40 P heads (ported); GT-40 P headers (ported); Cobra Rockers; 65 mm Throttle body; EGR spacer; 80 mm Lightning MAF; 3.55 Ford Racing Gears; CustomChip; B&M high stall torque converter; tranny cooler; fuel pressure regulator and gauge; 175 Amp Alternator; 2000 watt Audiobahn/panasonic soundsystem; CD w/Changer, 2 - 10" Aluminum Subs; audiobahn 1 farad capacitor; Dual Cut-outs just past the primary Cats; MAC cold air induction; Reverse Indiglo guages; 9mm Wires; Window tint; underdrive pulleys
_ ___________________ _

Last edited by SkadonyaCA; 03-23-2002 at 07:13 PM..
Old 03-23-2002, 04:37 PM   #17
Doctor DeBo
Registered Member

I just improvised when I pulled my pump and had no trouble.
Old 03-23-2002, 04:45 PM   #18
SkadonyaCA
Registered Member

The video tells you all you need to know. I used slide hammers (they are meant for body repair), they needed to be customized before they worked well. But the video makes you think that you can just walk in and find the proper ones anywhere, its really not that easy. But standard slide hammers, or even just weights on rods you can screw into the holes will work to pop the pump right out.
_ ___________________ _
Old 03-23-2002, 05:22 PM   #19
Mach 1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Doctor DeBo
I just improvised when I pulled my pump and had no trouble.
Can you be a little more specific?
RHC member #142
Old 09-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #20
Randy92
Registered Member

Default Re: AOD rebuild?

Been thinking of rebuilding my own AOD as well. Any info or tips? also possibly where to get a video to learn how to rebuild it. Got price quotes locally and it was about 800-1200 and thats not actually upgrading any parts just replacing what needs to be replaced.
Randy92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: