MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-10-2001, 11:12 AM   #1
aaa
Registered Member

Question AOD SHIFT KIT

I HAVE A 90 CONVERT WITH AN AOD TRANS WILL
A SHIFT KIT HELP WITH MY E.T.. WILL I STILL NEED TO DO THE AOD SHUFFLE OR SHOULD I LET THE TRANS SHIFT ITSELF. IS THIS A HARD THING TO INSTALL???
aaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 12:26 PM   #2
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

A shift kit is an essential on an AOD driven car. Transgo makes one of the best out there and Baumann also has a nice product.

The kit can be installed in a solid afternoon using simple hand tools you have around the house. It's not too difficult, even for someone with limited experience. The Transgo kit (which I highly reccommend) comes with a video and instructions. Just take your time, watch the video a couple of times and read through the instructions, and you'll be fine.

Be sure not to rush.

As far as performance benefit, it should help to drop a couple of tenths on your et and the car will be 100% more fun to drive. The Transgo kit makes for clean crisp shifts under normal driving, and stronger shifts under WOT. You should get a scratch in second under WOT.

As for shifting...I would only use the shuffle under racing or track conditions...only sparingly. Otherwise, let the tranny make the 2-3 shift. You can control the 1-2 shift with the shifter whenever you feel like it. Also, when driving around town, pull the shifter down into "D" rather than "OD." This will save wear and tear on the tranny by eliminating extra 4-3 downshifts and upshifts.

Anyway, good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

--nathan

------------------
--silver_pilate

'91 GT, Built 306, Wolverine 1087 cam, ported Windsor Jr. Irons, and all the goodies...click the link to the left to see a full list of my mods...

Tried and True 302 Being Built to Outrun You! heh heh heh...
--Texas Panhandle--
Check out my site
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 04:10 PM   #3
Sonics2042
Registered Member

Stupid question, but I am still not understanding what a shift kit does. We aren't talking about a full T-5 conversion are we?!?!?!?

Ignorance is bliss,
Sonics2042
Sonics2042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 04:49 PM   #4
cad614

I still have a B&M shift kit that I bought over a year ago sitting in the box under my bed! I heard everyone saying that a shift kit would do wonders for my AODE, but then found out the only one that wasn't good was by B&M. If anyone wants it, it's for sale - $0 + shipping!

------------------
'95 GT Convertable
cad614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 09:05 PM   #5
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

Sonic,

Hehe, yeah, the ultimate shift kit would be a T-5 conversion.

A shift kit is installed in the valve body of an AOD tranny and it changes the way the tranny shifts by changing the way the fluid flows...via different valves, springs, etc. that you install.

--nathan

------------------
--silver_pilate

'91 GT, Built 306, Wolverine 1087 cam, ported Windsor Jr. Irons, and all the goodies...click the link to the left to see a full list of my mods...

Tried and True 302 Being Built to Outrun You! heh heh heh...
--Texas Panhandle--
Check out my site
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 09:56 PM   #6
macx
Registered Member

As AOD type trans are very susceptible to heat damage, a good plate type cooler plumbed downstream of the trans cooler is nearly a must for any hi perf use. Also, a trans oil temp gauge is very good. For every 10 degrees max trans temp over 170, your trans fluid life is cut in 1/2! A synthetic fluid is very highly recommended as it has higher
heat tolerance plus more additives. for regular fluid, esp plus temps over 170, you need to change fluid OFTEN, esp if racing. Like every 10k miles. If you keep your fluid temps down, and esp w/synthetic, you can extend that upwards of 30K, or 50k if not a whole lot of racing. This is all per a gen ford auto trans engineer. Also, while you've got the pan off, check your 2-3 shift accumulator. It's in the bottom of the case (not in the vb) just ahead of the vb on the driver side. Stock ones are notorious for leaking, further reducing line pressure and causing more slip, wear, and heat in the trans. Newer electric versions of the AOD have the good style rubber molded accumulator that can be used, or you can get good ones like art carr's "zero leak" 2-3 accumulator. Carr's is about $35. check out a good AOD tech article at www.tccoa.com (tech articles, "trans 101") Tells you all about making AOD's last.
macx is offline   Reply With Quote