MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-07-2002, 01:21 AM   #1
jondog9
Registered Member

Default AOD shiftin' to early

I have a 54 f100 with a stock 89 LX 5.0/AOD. I've been using it as a daily driver for about 1 year now. The problem I'm having is that starting from a standstill, with the gear selecter in D (not OD), if I floor it (only in emergencies) it spools up nicely in first, then hits second and almost immediatly dumps into drive. This drives me nuts! I've discovered that if I'm ready when it shifts into second, I can yank the shifter back down to first (as long as I keep it floored) and it then will stay in second until I manually shift into drive. Why, for the love of pete, did Ford opt to skip a second gear position on the gear selector. Maybe there's a good reason for it but it seems really f---ing lame to me. We have a lot of windy twisty's around here and it really would be nice to have the option of keeping it in second gear at times.
BTW, since I have a 3.91 rearend, I've been known to spank a few stock mustangs. No surprise there, but it's always fun!!
Old 04-07-2002, 01:40 AM   #2
HiFlow5 0
Registered Member

Thats the AOD shuffle for ya, always have to shift back down to 1 position for 2nd gear. It sounds like the TV cable wasen't adjusted properly when the AOD was installed into the truck. If you chose to adjust the cabel yourself becareful cause if its set wrong you can fry your tranny.

NewEngland Auto www.baystategearheads.com
-91 Mustang Coupe, ex 4cyl (sold)
-99 F150, 3" lift, 35" Procomps, Magnaflow exhaust
HiFlow5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 08:23 PM   #3
lx mike
Undescribable

Don't mess with the tv cable, your can fry your tranny real quick if you misadjust it. all stock aod's are like that only way around it is to go to a lentech valve body and then you will use the d for 2nd gear and the aod position for third and have a switch for overdrive.
Rice Haters Club Member #101
lx mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 08:09 AM   #4
HiFlow5 0
Registered Member

He could slowly be frying his tranny now if the TV cable was never hooked up correctly in the first place when the tranny was put into the truck. The tranny should not shift soo quick into 3rd gear like he says it does, which leads me to believe something isn't set right. If he has any concerns about the TV cable or any linkage he should bring it to a shop to be on the safe side. Some places will look at the car and adjust the cable for free, at least they do at one of the local shops in town here.

NewEngland Auto www.baystategearheads.com
-91 Mustang Coupe, ex 4cyl (sold)
-99 F150, 3" lift, 35" Procomps, Magnaflow exhaust
HiFlow5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote