MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-18-2001, 09:49 PM   #1
jz_mustang50
Registered Member

Exclamation AOD Shifting.... 1,3, 4... where is 2nd??

I have a 91 Mustang GT w/ an AOD Trans. The gear selector by the shifter says 1, D, (o) (overdrive) (THE USUAL... how they all are). Ok... When I'm at the drag strip I hold it down into "1" and shift up into "D" for 2nd. If I leave the gear selector in D for more then about 1 second going down the track the trans shifts into 3 (too early for the track). I found a "work around" for the problem. When I shift from 1-2 I quickly move the gear selector back down into the "1" position (after I feel it shift into 2nd) and the transmission stays in 2nd until I get to the RPM I shift at) and then I shift into "D" and leave it there until i hit the end. Is there a shifter out there so I can just shift 1-2-3 not 1-2-1-3??? A ratchet would be the best. Any suggesting would be great! I know the transmission is working fine, I just want it to work like other Autos I've shifted with in non-ford cars). I just hope this isn't designed into the AOD so it will always be like this. I'm sticking with the AOD so don't tell me to get a stick to do some real shiftin' :-)
jz_mustang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 01:00 AM   #2
macx
Registered Member

Unfortunately, "what you see is what you get" and the only way to keep an AOD in 2nd is to do that 1-2-1 shuffle. It's very hard on the trans, so ONLY do it when racing, then as seldom as possible. However, check www.lentechautomatics.com for their street terminator lockup valve body, I do believe they've gotten around that where you can "shift" 2nd if I remember right.
macx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 06:29 AM   #3
Jeff Chambers

Yep, they have a patented 1,2,3-4 valve body that eliminates the need for the 'AOD Shuffle'.

------------------
Jeff Chambers
Trophy Stock #3
11.462 Seconds / 117.43 MPH
Chambers Racing Team
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote