MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-21-2001, 06:34 PM   #1
ThndrNLightning
Registered Member

Question Anyone here rebuilt a Vortech?

Just bought an S-trim that is in need of bearings.....it works well but has a low pitch bearing growl. Anyway, is this something I could find the proper bearings for and do myself? Or is that a stupid idea and I should just bite the bullet and ship 'er to Vortech?

I also want to convert it to a straight discharge. Can I find that part used or will I have to buy that from Vortech, too?

Thanks,

- Kevin
ThndrNLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 06:44 PM   #2
Nitrous Al
Registered Member

Send it back to Vortech for new bearings. They know exactly what to do. It shouldn't cost too much.
Old 12-22-2001, 10:19 AM   #3
LX5liter
dude5l

I tried to find new bearings and seals for my Paxton and it turned some of the stuff was O.E.M. only. The only place I could get them was a paxton dealer, and they are not cheap! I ended up using some seals that were close on the I.D. and then using a speedy sleeve on the shaft to take up the clearance. Hasn't leaked so far. Anyways, my point is that some of the stuff may not be available from anywhere but Vortech, so unless you want to modify stuff get the parts direct, or send it there.

Brad R.
1992 L.X. 5.0 coupe
MODS: A few little bolt ons
New Best time ...11.60 @ 128 mph @ 2000+ ft altitude.

Rice Haters Club member #39

Users rides #2542
LX5liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 11:18 AM   #4
ZG1991GT
Registered Member

Having Vortech rebuild it is not a bad idea, however if you are into saving money like me, do it yourself. First off BE VERY CAREFULL WITH THE IMPELLER!!! I cannot say this enough times!
Once you pull the pulley off, you will need to remove the bolts (8) holding the front cover on, and you will have to slowly work the case off. It has two dowels and a rubber seal, so be carefull not to nick the seal. Remove the impeller nut (VERY LOW SETTING ON IMPACT GUN). Now you can remove the compressor case (Mark how it is clocked for assembly) and the impeller with the washer underneath it. (Keep in mind how the washer is oriented!!)
To pull the main shaft out of the case, get yourself a 2" piece of threaded rod the same thread as the pulley bolt, and run a tap through a slide hammer (you may have to drill to tap size, some hammers are different) then thread the rod into the hammer and main shaft, and after a few quick blows you should have the main shaft out with the bearings. The impeller shaft will fall out with a few light raps with a plastic mallet. Take your two shafts with bearings to a machine shop if you do not have a press, and press the old bearings off, and push the new ones on. The new bearings should have their seals removed for lubrication. If your impeller shaft seal surface is grooved, I have the part number for it. Oil seal replacement is simple, I wont get into that!
Parts List:
2 Nachi ball bearings nac-6003 (make sure they are speed rated!!!)
2 SKF Ball Bearings 6205/C3
1 Chcago rawhide seal SC/R-6248
1 Transcom seal TCM-25x40x7tc
1 Chicago Rawhide Speedi sleeve C/R-99062
Assembly is reverse of instructions. If you have any more questions email me at zgriebel@norden1.com
91 GT, burgandy/silver,world windsor sr's.,E-303, dynomax equal ceramic coated headers,mac h-pipe,flowmasters, edelbrock performer,3.73's, rebuilt short block, frpp hd clutch, and yes, a ticking time bomb t-5. best time w/ 3.08's was 14.0@101 mph. soon to come- bigger tb,mass air meter, and BLOWER!!
ZG1991GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 04:03 PM   #5
ThndrNLightning
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for the replies!

Not sure if I want to do it or not. I tend to do everything myself - from engines to trannies to rear ends to just about anything. I guess it will depend on how much $$$ Vortech will want to do this.

Oh, anyone have pics of a Vortech opened up? That would help me visualize what has to be done. And where would one find these bearings?

Thanks again, and merry Christmas to all!

- Kevin
ThndrNLightning is offline   Reply With Quote