MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-04-2001, 11:30 AM   #1
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Question Attn: Canadian Mustang Owners shopping in US

What kind of experiences have you had purchasing parts from the US? Where you given a fair exchange rate? What kind of duty did you have to pay? Looking on online (cause it's way cheaper) for parts.

------------------
White 1995 Mustang GT
Dynomax Cat-Back, Offroad H-pipe, K&N Filters w/o Air Silencer
My 1995 Mustang GT
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2001, 01:13 PM   #2
roadrunner93
Registered Member

You do save some money by purchasing in the states. Bought my March pulleys for $85 US. The best price I could find in Canada was $203 for the same thing. There is no duty on parts (If they are USA made) you just pay Cdn taxes. I don't know about freight into Canada though. I picked mine up across the border.

------------------
93 LX
1"5/8 shorties, 2 1/2 mandrel bent off road H Pipe, Dynamax cat back, K&N Air silencer removed, Taylor wires, 3.55 gears, Hurst Shifter, March Performance Pulleys
roadrunner93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2001, 06:54 PM   #3
86GT
Sniffed too much n20

This is a good question, as I've only bought minor stuff like my sub-frames, clutch cable, etc. from the us and had no problems with customs. I am considering buying the Excessive Motorsports kit w/Holley heads but I'm wondering if it's gonna cost a ton to ship it.. And with the exchange rate the way it is, it makes me wonder...
86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2001, 11:32 AM   #4
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Yea with the exchange the way it is you almost have to wonder. However I've been putting together a "wish list" and been checking out what it is going to cost. I've looked at several places on the net and gone to my Local Ford dealer, and a local performance shop. The stuff from the US, even with an exchange at 1.52 is still a 20%cheaper.

------------------
White 1995 Mustang GT
Dynomax Cat-Back, Offroad H-pipe, K&N Filters w/o Air Silencer
My 1995 Mustang GT
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2001, 08:51 PM   #5
RDALRT
Registered Member

Woah. I don't usually post here, but i gotta step in when I see an opportunity to prevent a big mistake.

86GT: Do not, repeat, do not deal with Excessive Motorsports. Sure their prices seem good. But that is only if you don't mind waiting approx. 6 months and making at least a dozen phone calls before you ever see your parts. And that is for ppl living in the states. Can only imagine how they would treat a customer from Canada.

Do a search on some of the other websites like the Corral or Stangnet for Excessive Motorsports. Plenty of horror stories out there about them.
RDALRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2001, 09:07 PM   #6
Skankin
Registered Member

I forget what the shipping was on my intake, but it was HUGE!

Clearing stuff at the border yourself is definitely a lot better... it can sit there for a while, and the charge to clear it can add up. With the exchange, GST, PST & customs, it's often about twice the US price... but thats often still cheaper. (And you wealthy Albertan's don't have the PST).

Last spring RCO enterprises (London, Ont) had a good deal... find the lowest US price, show them the add, and they gave you an exchange of 1.6 or something (can really save on shipping).
www.wmsracing.com has some good deals too...
Awesome subframe connectors, and their lower control arms look good too.

As for ordering, Summit has been alright, and www.hawaiiracing.com was really good (they took care of a UPS problem). I prefer not to send it UPS if I can... they have a monopoly on the market, they know it, and they just don't care.
Skankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2001, 12:18 AM   #7
86GT
Sniffed too much n20

I appreciate the advice, I did a search, and wow, they don't seem very reputable at all. Is there any place that is reputable that sells kits that are close to the same price/perfomance level? Any help is appreciated..

I bought my gears when RCO had the special on them, was gonna get 4.10's but they were out of stock, so I got 3.73's w/speedo gear and synthetic gear oil for like $279 cdn. Also, got throttle body, and my exhaust from them, they are great to deal with...
86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2001, 01:23 AM   #8
red82gt
Sober voice of Reason

Thumbs down

Every time I get something shipped by UPS they bend me over on the brokerage fees. I find that Western Motorsports is the way to go, they're prices always come out to less than what it cost me through Summit by the time I actualy get the part. Western has even helped me find some oddball stuff-like the #1-4 FMS 9mm wires to replace four of mine that lost to a coil fire, they even got the right color!

------------------
GT-40 heads (ported, polished, + milled), B303 cam, 1.7rr's, JE pistons, Offy intake, Carter AFB 625cfm carb, Flowtech 1 5/8" shortys, Flowtech X-pipe, MAC Flowpath exhaust, MAC pulleys, 373's, subframes, Eibachs+Tokicos, B+M ripper, FMS Clutch, Zoom Quadrant+cable, 17" CSA Ultra rims, 235/45ZR17 Yokohama AVS S4's, MSD 6A ignition+coil, FMS 9mm wires, Carbed, Naturally Aspirated, and Nasty!
red82gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2001, 12:05 PM   #9
Darkside
Registered Member

86GT
The Holley system is a nice package, just like the one from Edlebrock but according to article I read in the past their heads don't come close to comparing withTrick Flow or AFR and Summit offer Trickflows Heads intake and Cam and Pistons to make complete setup.According to the Article even port Holley heads didn't do as well as Out of the box Trickflows, and the intakes are rated better.

------------------
89 Notchback 347 Trick flow heads and intake bbk full length headers 3.73 Pro Charger with 3 row intercooler and much much more
Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2001, 01:39 AM   #10
jonnyk
Being stroked is great

95Mustanggt, I found a guy who sells stuff "on the side" locally. He seems reputable (been doing it for a couple years), has a couple Stangs himself, and carries a lot of nice products. I'll send you a message with his info. His pricing is "on-par" with US prices, but no shipping or duty.

------------------
1991 LX Hatch 5.0L

[This message has been edited by jonnyk (edited 01-08-2001).]
jonnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2001, 09:35 PM   #11
94cobraRclone
Registered Member

Lightbulb

If you to purchased some parts in the US
ask to ship them by US mail if they could
you will be charge for i think $10 brokage
fee and pay the cdn tax. A lot chipper than