MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-12-2001, 06:16 AM   #1
gramsch
Registered Member

Question Auto Meter Gauge hook up problems

Just got my new gauges and I am a little stumped about how to hook them up. I have an electric water temp gauge that I guess I just splice into the wire leading from the sender already hooked up to the motor. I also have a mechanical oil pressure gauge that I have no clue where to put the sender. I want to have the factory gauges in the dash still working and my new gauges working too. Is there anyone out there who can help?

------------------
Michael "Deke" Gramsch
87'GT - Oxford White (soon to be vermillion red)
MSD 6AL ignition and coil, 65mm FMS throttle body, K&N filter, Accel Pro Billet Distributor, Fluidyne Radiator and Blue Hose Kit, Long Tube Headers, Off Road H-Pipe, Flowmaster American Thunder Exhaust, MAC Shifter, Weld Draglites, 190 LPH Fuel Pump, ADJ Fuel Pressure Regulator & Fuel Pressure Gauge, and some other odds & ends.
gramsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 07:09 AM   #2
Chris_H
Registered Member

If I am not mistaken you can't splice your water temp for both gauges, you will get a false reading. I ran into the same problem when I was putting in my gauges. I ended up having a dead water gauge on my dash because I didn't want to tap a new hole in my lower intake for both gauges to work. I didn't/don't know of a way to have both of them working. As far as the oil pressure, I just added a "T" fitting to my factory sending unit, and added on the Autometer sending unit. That way they were both getting their own oil supply. Just have to make sure you get a good fit with the fitting our it will leak oil. (found out the hard way they were not tight enough) Both of my gauges are electrical and haven't had a problem with them yet. Hope this helps you out.

Chris
Chris_H is offline   Reply With Quote