MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-18-2001, 06:36 PM   #1
BurninBurt
Registered Member

Question auto tranny screnf?

how much horsepower can an AOD take before she busts? Does it make a difference if it has a shift kit?

------------------
91 GT AOD: shift kit,K&N air filter, 65mm throttle body, ported upper intake, Bassani headers, Off-road H-pipe, 2 chamber Flowmasters, 3.73 gears, and Accel 9mm plug wires
BurninBurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2001, 07:47 PM   #2
NOS_Notch
Registered Member

my old car was all stock...bought new...went through 3 of them in 6 years/100,00 miles

------------------
4.10's,long tubes & 75 shot...Goes 12.50's
Check it out at http://www.burnouts.webprovider.com

11's coming soon!!!!
Heads,intake and cam are all here
NOS_Notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2001, 02:07 PM   #3
Doctor DeBo
Registered Member

The AOD cant take very much abuse even from a stock setup.Mine took about 70,000 mile to crap out and I never beat the car up,the AOD band is what goes first.If you have future mods planned do your self a favor and up grade the tranny.I learned the hard way like alot of others.
Doctor DeBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2001, 12:35 AM   #4
Capri306

Same here. Mine popped and I'm rebuilding it right now. My advice is to get the best quality rebuild kit you can, order the "A" overdrive servo kit from your local thieves (aka the dealership), and get a B&M shift improver kit. The best thing you can do right now is replace the most-likely broken TV cable grommet on the throttle lever.

I'll give you the low-down on why mine went POW, and when I mean went POW it was all of a sudden with NO warning. Just a POP and no go. The TV cable grommet was trash when I first bought the car, so it'd slide into every gear and only shift into OD if you were totally off the gas. This created tremendous amounts of heat inside the transmission due to slippage. Too bad for me, since the kid I bought it from prolly had no idea about that little technical service bulletin Ford is so generous about telling its customers. Needless to say, all the miles he put on it were cooking the AOD to death. The thing that really killed it was the one-way intermediate clutch blowing apart (literally). Pieces of spring fell out of the assembly when I tore it down. Every single clutch pack and band was BURNED TO A CRISP without exception. The steels were BLUE from heat, and chunks of friction material were missing from everything. Moral of the story: be sure the TV cable is adjusted properly, get a new grommet (dealer item, only $2), and install a tranny cooler NOW.

With the shift kit you will absolutely see a difference. No more sliding into gear. I chirped 2nd easily, and I have the 3.73's as you do.

Go to Baumann Engineering for LOADS of useful information about the AOD, the overdrive servo part numbers, and possible upgrades. Hope this helps.

------------------
Capri306, Moderator, The Mustang Works Online
1979 Mercury Capri, 5.0L -- C4 -- 2.73
1987 Mustang LX Notch
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2001, 03:14 AM   #5
scott9050
Registered Member

Mine lasted for close to 170,000 miles, about 50,000 of those with 350 or so flywheel hp. It never died even with tons of abuse I dished out on it. When your dies get a lentech rebild kit and then don't worry about it. And to answer your question the aod can handle about 450 hp stock. The limiting factor is the hollow 2 piece input shaft.

------------------
1990 5.0 lx aod
no power adder

best 60 ft: 2.05
best 1/8th mile: 8.84
best mph: 83.07

scott9050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2001, 10:24 AM   #6
SLOWPONY
Registered Member

My stock aod held up to 146,000. About 20,000 of those miles were hard. Now I have a little over 400hp at the flywheel,plus a litte spray. It has held up fine now for 3 summers with a TCI rebuild kit. If it is built right you should have no problems. A friend of mine put down 475hp at the wheels on a Vorteched aod car. Which was also a TCI Street fighter trans w/ a Lentech Valvebody.Which proves that any trans is as good as it gets built.
SLOWPONY is offline   Reply With Quote