MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-22-2010, 10:32 PM   #1
gsmotorsports
Registered Member

Default Bad 306

For those of you who are going to convince me to just go all out to a 347, just dont read any further. I'm looking to rebuild the 302 I've got sitting in my garage and am looking to most likely bore it out to a 306. But at the same time I'm wanting to get upwards of 425+ horse out of it without any turbo, SC, or Nitrous. Just straight muscle. I've been looking mostly at the AFR 165cc heads, Edelbrock Air Gap Intake, Holley 650 cfm 4bbl, but I need help thinking of what cam, pistons, and internals i could use thatll keep this thing pretty much bullet proof. Remember what I'm wanting here is a 306 with 425+ HP with just straight muscle. Thanks guys
gsmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:30 PM   #2
goodyear1984
Registered Member

Default Re: Bad 306

well u said u dont want to build a 347,just so u know keep this in mind if your buying all new parts the cost really is not much more to build a 347 rather then a 306.but if ur stuck on a 306 here are a few pointers
as far as the crank pistons rods go i would use a 28oz balance crank like a scat 9000 or better,rods i would use I beam rods rather then H beam because there lighter and u want lighter parts to free up horsepower.pistons i would use JE,srp,wisco,keith black and i would have 10.5 to 1 compression. keep in mind anything over 11 to 1 compression with aluminum head will require race gas or e85.i would deff use a main stud girdle to make the bottom end stronger.7qt oil pan with a windage tray will free up a few horsepower.i would use a bigger head then a 165,i would use a 185 head with a single plane intake and solid roller cam that will run 7000 rpm.
347 stroker all forged,arp everything,stud mains w/girdle,7qt pan,full roller, custom cam, aluminum heads swirl valves 5 angle valve job.quick fuel 750,areomotive pump,cobras w/nitto drags,and m/t et drags for the track, ford racing 373 gears,centerforce clutch,tko500,underdrive pulleys,bassani x-pipe,flowmasters
^best et so far 11.6 1.61 60ft coming soon 9sec et's
1992 mustang gt
2001 gmc 1500 4x4
78 century boat
92 skidoo
goodyear1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:12 PM   #3
9sec93lx
9sec93lx

Default Re: Bad 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodyear1984 View Post
well u said u dont want to build a 347,just so u know keep this in mind if your buying all new parts the cost really is not much more to build a 347 rather then a 306.but if ur stuck on a 306 here are a few pointers
as far as the crank pistons rods go i would use a 28oz balance crank like a scat 9000 or better,rods i would use I beam rods rather then H beam because there lighter and u want lighter parts to free up horsepower.pistons i would use JE,srp,wisco,keith black and i would have 10.5 to 1 compression. keep in mind anything over 11 to 1 compression with aluminum head will require race gas or e85.i would deff use a main stud girdle to make the bottom end stronger.7qt oil pan with a windage tray will free up a few horsepower.i would use a bigger head then a 165,i would use a 185 head with a single plane intake and solid roller cam that will run 7000 rpm.
Everything Goodyear said above, and my 2 cents worth here. Think a lot of compression, camshaft and rpm to pull 425 flywheel hp out of a N/A 306. Using the basic hp to torque formula the engine would need to produce 372 lbs.ft. Tq if the horsepower peak was 6,000 rpm and only 318 at 7,000. Its not easy to get 372 lbs Tq.@ 6,000 rpm out of a 306 without a power adder.

Use all high quality forged internals and a good balance job and you should be okay. A solid roller cam allows you to run a much more aggressive profile than you ever could with a hydro.Use an 1 3/4 primary, long tube header or a 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 step header. MSD ignition to light it all off with.