MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-01-2007, 11:56 PM   #1
1987StangL268X
Registered Member

Default Bad Luck?

Ok guys, tell me this isnt bad luck....Started out when i got my motor running we thought it was jetted a little high, but my chrome headers turned colors so we almost thought it was lean. ran like crap didnt wanna start, then it wouldnt stay running when you would move it. and it would always pop through the carb. we really are carb. geniuses as much as it doesnt sound like it! lol. Then we get that halfway straightened out (carb was bought on ebay and the guy didnt know how in the hell to tune a carb.! So then its running ok to take for a drive. now its running a little warm for my likings at about 180 and sometimes climbing in 45 degree weather! So i park it for the night. Get up next morning and the freaking thing will not start. troubleshoot forever checking connections, dist., coil, never thinking to check the BRAND new mallory pos ignition box that we installed. sure enough it was the ignition. Tell me this isnt bad luck so far! lol
1987 mustang hatchback. weld wheels, driveshaft loop, subframe connectors,308 w/ 520 lift cam, edelbrock perf rpm alum heads 2.02 1.60 valves, 1.6 roller rockers, edelbrock air gap performer intake, roller lifters, 625 vac secondary demon, c-4 trans w 3,000 stall, 3.73 gears
1987StangL268X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 02:09 AM   #2
bmxmon
Registered Member

Default Re: Bad Luck?

Just sounds like getting a new engine tuned in. 180 seems like a good temp to me, though sucks its climbing in 45 degree weather. I've heard Mallory is crap, I've had good luck with my Pentronic HEI distributor, though the only thing that sucks is it sits so high I cant run a normal air cleaner. (when I first was typing this up i was thinking it was an accel, its bad when im forgetting what parts i have!) I would think that headers changing color wouldnt really mean anything, since they get real hot on a good running engine. I havent had experience with chrome (ceramic coated im guessing?) headers before though, im too poor for that stuff...
Old 03-03-2007, 09:04 AM   #3
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

180 isn't too bad for a brand new engine, but the climbing in 45 degree weather part scares me. It WILL drop the temp down after it breaks in.

Bluing your headers is not a lean condition, it's actually the opposite. It's FAT, the discoloring comes from extra fuel burning as it leaves the exhaust port in the head.

I've had some experience with Mallory, and there will NEVER be ANYTHING on my car that says "Mallory" on it, unless she's REALLY cute and in the passenger's seat!

My Dad has had really good luck with Pertronix, I've never used it. I'm strictly an MSD type guy.

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:49 AM   #4
goodyear1984
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxmon View Post
Just sounds like getting a new engine tuned in. 180 seems like a good temp to me, though sucks its climbing in 45 degree weather. I've heard Mallory is crap, I've had good luck with my Pentronic HEI distributor, though the only thing that sucks is it sits so high I cant run a normal air cleaner. (when I first was typing this up i was thinking it was an accel, its bad when im forgetting what parts i have!) I would think that headers changing color wouldnt really mean anything, since they get real hot on a good running engine. I havent had experience with chrome (ceramic coated im guessing?) headers before though, im too poor for that stuff...
must not be to broke with thoes nice old cars lol
347 stroker all forged,arp everything,stud mains w/girdle,7qt pan,full roller, custom cam, aluminum heads swirl valves 5 angle valve job.quick fuel 750,areomotive pump,cobras w/nitto drags,and m/t et drags for the track, ford racing 373 gears,centerforce clutch,tko500,underdrive pulleys,bassani x-pipe,flowmasters
^best et so far 11.6 1.61 60ft coming soon 9sec et's
1992 mustang gt
2001 gmc 1500 4x4
78 century boat
92 skidoo
goodyear1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 02:23 AM   #5
bmxmon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodyear1984 View Post
must not be to broke with thoes nice old cars lol
You should see them before you say that! At least the buick anyway, lets just say im scared my spare tire could fall through the trunk!
Old 03-11-2007, 11:41 PM   #6
goodyear1984
Registered Member

lol i almost bought a 1965 buick skylark untill i seen the big crack in the frame and the trunk was gone.nice looking cars tho.. i love thoes old cars sucking gas and haulin a$$
347 stroker all forged,arp everything,stud mains w/girdle,7qt pan,full roller, custom cam, aluminum heads swirl valves 5 angle valve job.quick fuel 750,areomotive pump,cobras w/nitto drags,and m/t et drags for the track, ford racing 373 gears,centerforce clutch,tko500,underdrive pulleys,bassani x-pipe,flowmasters
1992 mustang gt
2001 gmc 1500 4x4
78 century boat
92 skidoo
Old 03-11-2007, 11:44 PM   #7
goodyear1984
Registered Member

hey just to let you know they make replacment pannels for the trunk floor i dont rember where i seen it but i know they are avliable...hows the frame on it ? ive herd alot about thoes frames rotting out
1992 mustang gt
2001 gmc 1500 4x4
78 century boat
92 skidoo
Old 03-12-2007, 02:32 AM   #8
bmxmon
Registered Member

Yeah, the floor panels are actually one part you can get for those cars, same for all GM A-bodies I believe. The frame is good as far as I know, though who knows until/if I take the body off. This week Im planning on actually working on it, cleaning up a 310 wildcat motor I have sitting in the garage for it, then perhaps swapping it into it later this week. (though the snow is supposed to fly again, so perhaps I might be derailed) I plan on replacing the trunk floor this summer, though the mustang is #1 so the 5spd goes into that first. The Buick is actually more fun to just cruise in though over the mustang. Its a great car for going to the beach!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg random 025.jpg (523.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 03-12-2007, 11:10 AM   #9
goodyear1984
Registered Member

that stang looks sweet...looks like the buick needs some work ...i like that old school light blue on thoes style buick
1992 mustang gt
2001 gmc 1500 4x4
78 century boat
92 skidoo
Old 03-13-2007, 01:07 AM   #10
bmxmon
Registered Member

Its actually green, I call it "ugly green" haha. (im painting the 310 for it Ford green, the closest i could find haha) I like it though. The buick is like a special kid, slow but makes you smile.