MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2001, 12:14 AM   #1
todd95GT
Registered Member

Unhappy Bad Stang Wreck

Guys and girls:
For those of you that never read my profile, I am a police officer. I was dispatched to a car crash tonight involving one vehicle. Dispatch advised that the driver was unresponsive. I arrived on scene about the same time as the Fire Rescue trucks. The driver was in rough condition; his head was split pretty bad and he was wearing his seatbelt. He was not responding or conscious but had a weak pulse and was breathing. He was flown by helicopter to the trauma center and I don't know his current condition. Here is what the treaffic investigator concluded from his investigation:
The driver, a 24 year old male, was driving his 1990 5.0 LX notchback approximately 65 miles per hour on this four lane divided road with a 35 MPH posted speed limit. The ground was wet from all the rain (you guys in south Florida know what I'm talking about) we've had, especially tonight. Witnesses stated that he accelerated very quickly from a traffic light and the rear of the car slid out from a quick shift into second gear. It was the same shifting into third gear when he lost control. The 'stang hit the center median hard enough to crack the 3.5" Weld Draglite on the front driver's side. The car spun around, possibly more than once, before the passenger side door impacted a concrete utility pole. The front and rear bumpers were facing the same direction and from the driver's side window, you could literally reach inside the car and touch the passenger side door without overextending your arm.
The car was obviously totalled well beyond repair. I don't think there was a salvagable body panel left on it. More importantly, the young driver was seriously injured. Judging by the impact of the crash-hard enough to move the concrete pole about a half a foot-I don't think he will survive.
Folks, I love to drive my car to the limits like every other muscle car-stang or otherwise-owner. Please, drive responsibly. Enjoy your car as much as possible but think before you jump on it. Know the limits of your vehicle. Our Mustangs are not capable (not in stock or drag racing trim) of taking twisted roads at 70-80 mph like we wish they were. Know the condition of your tires. Know the limits of your car's brakes. Know the road you're on and what's up ahead, i.e: stop signs, blind intersections, and driveways. Keep in mind the weather also. Remember-for every mile per hour you're going, multiply that by 1.5and that tells you how fast you are going. So at 60mph, you're traveling 90 f.p.s. That's really, really fast to be in a 3000-3500 pound metal box.
I don't mean to lecture, but one crash is one too many. I don't want to read about any of you being in the same unfortunate yet highly preventable predicament this poor guy (kid really)was in.
Please be careful.
Todd

------------------
Todd
1995 GT/T-5
Pulleys; 65 mm TB; Flowmaster cat-back; Mac off road H-pipe; FMS aluminum driveshaft; short-throw shifter; HD clutch; Cobra R's; Cobra front and wing
Old 09-11-2001, 12:36 AM   #2
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Unhappy

Damn, sorry to hear about that, hope the guy lives to see another day. Let us know how he does if you don't mind, my deepest sympathy goes out to his family.

That is why I stopped street racing, not worth the risk to you or all the people around you. Although I am only 24 years old, I can say as I have gotten older things become clearer, and some things are just plain stupid. Speeding and snagging gears isn't smart in the rain.

Rick

------------------
Check Out My Site 91GT,Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60" port matched to a 1262,Anderson N-61,24#,76mm C&L,Full MAC, No A/C or PS or emissions, 12" K&N Filter,RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air,Ron Davis Radiator,Full Suspension, SPEC stage III clutch, Lakewood SFI bell, S&W 8pt "X" brace,JAZ seats,3:73's,Welds..etc,4:30's and 31 splines coming very soon!
[b]12.16 @ 113.5, 1.78 60ft..no traction in the 90 degree
Old 09-11-2001, 12:45 AM   #3
todd95GT
Registered Member

Angry

Rick, I called the department after reading you post. The investigator was en route to the driver's house to tell his family that he died in the chopper while on the way to the hospital. Probably severe head trauma. It's something I see all too often, and unfortunately, could have been prevented with common sense.
Be careful all,
Todd

------------------
Todd
1995 GT/T-5
Pulleys; 65 mm TB; Flowmaster cat-back; Mac off road H-pipe; FMS aluminum driveshaft; short-throw shifter; HD clutch; Cobra R's; Cobra front and wing
Old 09-11-2001, 06:10 AM   #4
PKRWUD

That's exactly what I hated the most about working in a hospital (10 years ago); seeing them have to pronounce on some dumb kid like that, and having to recheck his chart to make sure it wasn't one of my dumb friends. You don't forget about that after dinner and some TV.

Thanks for the advice, Todd. You really do have a tough job. I wish you the best in getting tonight out of your head.

Take care
~Chris

P.S. My Mother , who drives a dark green '99 Camry, lives up by Melbourne, and works in Vero Beach. If you're the cop that keeps pulling her over, BACK OFF! )

Keep it between the lines.

[This message has been edited by PKRWUD (edited 09-11-2001).]
Old 09-12-2001, 09:43 AM   #5
PrplMonster
Registered Member

I have to agree with rick on this one, i used to street race alot, won many, lost many licenses.. lol I can say that i have definately grown up, i take my racing to the track! I value my license alot more than showing some punk kid how slow his ride is.

way off topic: Does any of you have family that lives in manhatten? I have 2 aunts that work(ed) in tower 2. Luckily they got out ok, but still thats too close for comfort! Oddly enough, there *used* to be some good street racing in manhatten/lower east side!

.dave
Old 09-12-2001, 10:43 AM   #6
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

Well said Todd.

I see way to many people driving fast cars with no responsiblity, and not knowing how to handle them.

Skyler

------------------
-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-
TFS TW Heads, E-303, Edelbrock intake, 70mm TB, 73mm MAF, 24lb injectors, 1 5/8 shorties, Off Road H, 3 Chamber flows, Jaz Race seats, Back seat removed, sub-frames, Roll Cage, and a 80 shot of N20.
12.54@107.4 Motor
332RWHP, 350rwtq
Old 09-12-2001, 12:21 PM   #7
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Moved to Blue Oval Lounge
Closed Thread