MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-02-2003, 04:33 PM   #1
sleeperstang
Registered Member

Default Engine Balance?

I'm going to be buying a '68 302 long block from a shop here in L.A. I've asked them if they needed the damper and/or flywheel to balance it, and they say that it is all internally balanced. This throws me off since all Ford Small Blocks are externally balanced. Does anyone know if this is possible, or is it that the person that I spoke to does not know what he's talking about

He states that all internals are balance to OE specifications. I must be missing something. Oh, and if it is possible, does that mean that I would have to get a neutral damper or what?

Help!
Old 04-02-2003, 04:56 PM   #2
Jeff65
Registered Member

If you buy a '68-'81 302 then it will be 28 oz-in imbalance engine requiring matching components (flywheel or flexplate and harmonic).

If you buy a '87 or later 302 chances are it will be 50 oz-in imbalance engine requiring matching components.

If you buy another Ford small block engine between '82 and '87 you'll need to know whether its a 5.0L or 302 engine. In this case I would get specific information from my Ford dealers parts counter about the specific production code stamped on the block.

The seller is telling you the engine is internally balanced to rebuild specifications. Full engine balance is not done as a routine matter. Balance is close enough for passenger car service without further fuss. Thus, you use the proper matching components and thats all you gotta do.

Now if you're fussy and want a racing engine, then you wnat what you think you want...that is, a fully micro-balanced engine. To get this, you want a engine built by a racing engine builder of good reputation. He will balance the crankshaft, rotating components, flywheel and harmonic as a single unit. Don't expect this in an Autozone rebuild and moreso, it can't be done after the fact without tearing down the engine.
Jeff65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 12:05 PM   #3
sleeperstang
Registered Member

Thanks for all of the info Jeff65.

I've gone ahead and ordered the long block, my next question is:

Would I be able to use my 1965 289 28 oz imbalance on my new
1968 302 (rebuilt to oe specs) engine?

As far as I know, I should be able to, but I just want to make sure that I get the right parts before I go and kill my engine
Old 04-10-2003, 12:54 PM   #4
Jeff65
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sleeperstang
Thanks for all of the info Jeff65.

I've gone ahead and ordered the long block, my next question is:

Would I be able to use my 1965 289 28 oz imbalance on my new
1968 302 (rebuilt to oe specs) engine?

As far as I know, I should be able to, but I just want to make sure that I get the right parts before I go and kill my engine
All 289 parts will fit on your '68 spec 302 engine. Here's some misc information:

a. if you decide to use T5 or Tremec 3550 transmission, then the pilot bearing in the back of the crank must be the 5.0L needle bearing model.

b. if your engine is an overbore (most highly), plan to bump your radiator at least one row of cores to account for the heavier heat burden. If you also run air conditioning, a four core is a good idea. Three core will work with all your present parts (fan, spacer) except the fan shroud brackets and for this you'll need the three core part. Four core may require the fan spacer to be trimmed or replaced as well as having different shroud brackets.

c. Advise using FlowKooler aluminum replacement for cast iron water pump as this model has 35% better flow characteristics below 3000 rpm which is where you're likely to be most of the time. Summit Racing has these, about $70.

If you use an aftermarket intake manifold and the upper radiator hose doesn't fit too well, try the hose for a '64 Ford Galaxie 289. It's curvature is a bit tighter than Mustangs and it fit great on my 5.0L with Weiand Stealth whereas the OEM part fit like doo-doo.

Good luck and take your time with the retrofit. If something doesn't seem to fit, don't force it...usually there's a reason why.

Jeff
'65 5.0L fastback
Jeff65 is offline   Reply With Quote