MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-22-2003, 09:34 AM   #1
cschulzy
Registered Member

Default Ball Joints

Can I change the ball joints on a 89 GT or do I have to change the whole lower control arm? If I can change the lower ball joints, where is the best place to get them, is there any tricks to changing them?
Cheers Guys
Chris

************************************************** **Stock 89 GT 5 Speed
cschulzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 10:28 AM   #2
lx5091
Registered Member

you can change just the ball joints but they are pressed in, so they will need to be heated to be removed and the new ones pressed in. Any machine shop can do this. personally I think Ford Racing has an excellent set of upgraded control arms that provide a much better ride than the stock control arms and they can be found at various places like www.gefracing.com for under $200, I've seen them somewher for $169

'97 Saturn SL1--Soon to be ditched for a Ford!
lx5091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 08:36 AM   #3
Old Guy with 87 GT
Registered Member

its easiest to just change the ball joints

changed mine like last fall got them at autozone 30$ a piece .......the tricks would be to get the correct puller and soak them down with a good penatrating oil a day prior to doing them ,heating them up with a propane tourch might be helpfull but i didn't need to for mine .......i got the puller i used at autozone

another imprtant thing is to keep the weight of the car on the lower control arm .......the control arm is preloaded by the front spring .......*if your not carefull it could be hazardous* .........use a jack stand properly planted and let the weight of the car keep the spring compressed ........position the jack stand torward the outer end of the control arm and the cars wieght will hold it fine ,but just to be on the safe side put a chain around the spring

ps...... if you ball joints are going bad ,don't procrastinate doing them ..........when the ball joints go out ,the spindle comes loose and the front wheel will promply remove it self from your car if you happen to be moving when it comes loose
87 Mustang GT T-top >hanlon t-5, pro 5.0, centerforce clutch ,adj. cable/quatrant ,3.27s ,full 2 1/2 ex(off road H) adj. reg. ,e-cam ,70mm TB, cobra intake ,1.7rr ,ported/milled e7ets w/crane springs ,306 balaced/decked short block w/speed pro forged flat top pistons ...257rwhp/302rwt
best et 13.7@102 (4/11 )

'80 Capri (future project,currently collecting parts for 351 moter)
Old Guy with 87 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 10:13 AM   #4
srv1
Get down.....

DO NOT HEAT THEM TO GET THEM OUT!! sorry lx5091, but you dont have to heat anything. you will make the hole bigger if you heat it and then it is possible you will have more clearnence which results in a looser fit.

You can pound them out with a hammer if you are skilled enough, or go to Autozone and rent their ball joint tool. you can remove and install them with this tool. Basically its a giant c-clamp.

The best place to get them is at the Ford dealer. I dont like the greasable kind. Besides, you will get the updated ball joint from Ford.

James
Old 03-23-2003, 01:18 PM   #5
cschulzy
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice, I'll try to get some ball joints and change them on the car. I will have to try to find a puller here as there is no auto zone, I just hope the local Ford dealer can get the ball joints in country, if not I will order. Thanks again

Chris

************************************************** ** Stock 89 GT 5 Speed
cschulzy is offline   Reply With Quote