View Single Post
Old 08-12-2008, 06:26 PM   #4
fox bodies rule
Registered Member

Default Re: Battery light ON 93 5.0..new battery/alternator

hmm. the good news is that your repaired alternator will be putting out ~14.5 volts. The bad news is why did it blow in the first place along with certain other high current draw item fuses? I would personally be looking for a problem before I hooked that bad boy up and fired it off or you may blow another diode pack (regulator) and assorted high amp fuses. Your lightening theory would have taken out all of the fuses, especially the low current ones, as opposed to just smoking the high current ones; path of least resistance and all of that crap. Is your amp aftermarket and high draw? is it on the same circuit as the fog lights? Did you do some wiring changes just recently? Pack rats eating the insulation? (I'm not kidding, been there, done that and own the T shirt) Call me paranoid, but something just doesn't smell right here and if you can think of anything that you have done electrically, like hook the battery up backwards maybe? we could trouble shoot this pretty quickly. Since things were all ok before you put the car up for the winter I'm going to err on the side of caution and suggest that you still have a problem, the alternator was just one of the symptoms. I would hate to see you go back to the begining again; blow the alternator and again no clue as to why the ! %$#! light is still on. If you want to thrash this out behind the scenes, pm me and send a reply to this post telling me and I'll hook up with you.
fox bodies rule is offline   Reply With Quote