MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-19-2004, 02:00 PM   #1
whitepony
Registered Member

Default battery move!!

hey everyone!!
i would like to move my battery to the hatch of my car but dont know all what i will need!?
i have the mounting kit i will need more positivwire but not sure what size, and will i need more negative wire or not and do i have to ground the battery box???
and should i up grade my alt as well or will the stock one work for awhile??

thanks
-mike
whitepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 01:27 AM   #2
Dog5ohfun
Registered Member

I got the taylor wiring kit with the aluminum box. You will need about 20ft of positive wire to reach the starter selenoid. I am using 1/0 guage left over from my stereo days. The ground wire I used is 4 gauge and I ran it through the rubber grommet on the passenger side of the floor at the front of the floor, in the hatch area. I then grounded it by the quad shock to the rear frame rail. Hope this helps.
Black 1990 LX DSS Racing Super Pro Bullit 331, AFR 185, Anderson B31 Cam, 1.6 DSS rockers, Cobra Intake w/ 2 phenolic spacer, Aluminum DS, 3.73 gears, Tremec 3550, Lakewood SFI Bellhousing, MSD Digital 6+, Spintech Side Exhaust,
Dog5ohfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 01:16 PM   #3
RoadWarrior
Registered Member

The taylor box is a nice box, same one as i have, i got the wire seperate and just picked up like 15-18ft of 4gauge wire for it. Your also going to need to pick up a kill switch to put on the back of your car otherwise it wont be legal at the track. Make sure that when you wire the switch that when its off the car dies and doesnt just disconnect the battery, cause most cars can still run without the batt since the alternator will be powering everything.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:31 PM   #4
Ackbar00
Rebel Fleet Commander

Quote:
Originally posted by Dog5ohfun
I got the taylor wiring kit with the aluminum box. You will need about 20ft of positive wire to reach the starter selenoid. I am using 1/0 guage left over from my stereo days. The ground wire I used is 4 gauge and I ran it through the rubber grommet on the passenger side of the floor at the front of the floor, in the hatch area. I then grounded it by the quad shock to the rear frame rail. Hope this helps.
Close to how mine is done. I used 2 guage for power and grond. I was having ground trouble, So I have mine grounded in th rear and at the front of the car. I used a Jegs kit or something and a Battery box from Autozone with a Optima battery. Not really legal, but I have not got dinged yet

11.25@123.5 on only 8 psi.
10.84@121 on only 1 headgasket

"The Truth is, Your the Weak, and I am the Tyranny of Evil Men!"

Ackbar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 08:38 PM   #5
vortechsaleen492
Registered Member

I just finished my relocation 2 weeks ago, I used a Moroso sealed box, a Moroso switch, 25ft of 1/0 welding cable(standard auto cable wont cut it)20ft of 2ga welding cable, and marine battery terminals, NAPA had all the neccassary cable lugs for cheap. I ran the 1/0 from one side of the switch to the battery POS+, I then ran 1/0 from the other side of the switch up to the solenoid, I used a another short piece of 1/0 to ground the battery to the quad shock mount. I ran a piece of 2ga side of the switch the battery is connected directly to up to the alternator. I then used a short piece of 2ga to ground the engine to the sway bar mount. be sure to run a 10ga wire from the swaybar mount to where the ECU grounds, and your set.

Scott
vortechsaleen492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 10:11 PM   #6
whitepony
Registered Member

ok so will 2g cut it for everything?
so i run wire from solenoid to pos. post then cant i ground it at the back and then run my wire from alt. to battery?
i am not putting in a switch cuz i dont go to teh track alot i just want to clean the engine bay up!
and for the alt. wire where do i put it pos or neg.

thanks
-mike
Old 02-25-2004, 09:28 PM   #7
vortechsaleen492
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by whitepony
ok so will 2g cut it for everything?
so i run wire from solenoid to pos. post then cant i ground it at the back and then run my wire from alt. to battery?
i am not putting in a switch cuz i dont go to teh track alot i just want to clean the engine bay up!
and for the alt. wire where do i put it pos or neg.

thanks
-mike
i really recommend the 1/0 but if you use welding cable 2ga you should be alright. if you dont plan on running at the track you can get away with out the switch. run you battery POS+ from the battery to the solenoid and ground the battery to the quad shock mount(be sure its clean) and you can leave the rest stock.

Scott
Old 02-26-2004, 03:36 PM   #8
whitepony
Registered Member

dont i have to run my alt wire to the back aswell??
ya i dont run at the track (maybe once a year ) so i dont need the switch!!
thanks
-mike
Old 02-26-2004, 03:49 PM   #9
RoadWarrior
Registered Member

No the alternator just goes to the solenoid. And if you want to save some money you CAN run 4 gauge wire. Maybe i dont need as much since i dont have as much electronics. But i do run a 100 amp alternator and everything. I run 4 gauge wire and ive never had a problem and it has never heated up or anything.
Old 02-26-2004, 04:42 PM   #10
Ackbar00
Rebel Fleet Commander

Do this the easy way.
1. Trace out the cables.
2. Just Duplicate, except they now run to the back of the car.
3. Use some sort of Battery Holddown. Jegs, Moroso, Etc.
4. Opt. - Run a switch. Can always add later if you want.

Old 02-27-2004, 08:06 PM   #11
whitepony
Registered Member

ok ackbar00 this is what i got
1. 15 feet of 2ga wire
2. bat hold down
but now were do i run it is it best to go throught teh fire wall or under the car ( i would rather go in the car ) and do i have to ground the engine at the front? isnt it already grounded to the firewall ?
and i dont need to do anything with my alt. wire just leave it alone?
thanks
-mike
Old 02-27-2004, 10:22 PM   #12
Ackbar00
Rebel Fleet Commander

Quote:
ok ackbar00 this is what i got
1. 15 feet of 2ga wire
2. bat hold down
but now were do i run it is it best to go throught teh fire wall or under the car ( i would rather go in the car ) and do i have to ground the engine at the front? isnt it already grounded to the firewall ?
and i dont need to do anything with my alt. wire just leave it alone?
thanks
-mike
Need more 2 ga. I ran my postive in the car, comes into the engine bay through the steering gromment. I have mine grounded in the rear (I think it is the rear bumper cover bolt) and in the front at the factory location. I was having charging problems, that is why I have two locations. If you run them both in the car next to each other, this will prolly cause radio interference (Someone check me on this. )The ground is run on the outside, along the fuel lines, just drilled a small hole with a gromment. Nope, no messing with the alt wiring, unless you want to do a 130 amp upgrade Like I said, If you run your new wires back to where they were when the battery was up front, you can not go wrong.

Old 02-28-2004, 04:40 AM   #13
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

yes, you will have interference if you run the positive right next to the ground.
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
MidNiteBlu 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 11:03 AM   #14
whitepony
Registered Member

i shouldn't have to run my ground to the back as well!? i should be able to just ground it at the back and that should be good?

and where the ground is now its on the engine can i take that one out completly and just leave the intake ground that goes to my firewall??
Old 03-01-2004, 07:30 PM   #15
vortechsaleen492
Registered Member

Quote:
i shouldn't have to run my ground to the back as well!? i should be able to just ground it at the back and that should be good?

and where the ground is now its on the engine can i take that one out completly and just leave the intake ground that goes to my firewall??
you gotta run a nice clean/solid ground in the back, i ran mine to the quad shock mount using 1/0 welding cable. keep the original ground location(timing cover)but run it to the sway bar mount, also run a 10ga wire from the sway bar mount to the original ECU ground. Pro-m recommends running a 10ga from the battery NEG- to the ECU ground but i didnt do that and my car runs fine.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:08 PM   #16
whitepony
Registered Member

ok so just take the org. battery ground and hook it to the sway bar mount. and that should be good, i dont have mass air so the other ground should not be a problem? then i will ground it at the back ! and that should be good !!
Old 03-02-2004, 12:07 AM   #17
vortechsaleen492
Registered Member

Quote:
ok so just take the org. battery ground and hook it to the sway bar mount. and that should be good, i dont have mass air so the other ground should not be a problem? then i will ground it at the back ! and that should be good !!
well if the car is still EFI if needs the 10ga ground for the ECU

Scott
Old 03-02-2004, 06:43 PM   #18
pedley
Registered Member

this may be a stupid question but what is the ECU and where is the ground for it?
sorry for all the bullshit questions but i am kinda new to all this stuff!
thanks
-mike
pedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 08:49 PM   #19
vortechsaleen492
Registered Member

mike they arent stupid questions, ECU is the computer. the ground is VERY important. when your battery was up front just to the side of the battery(POS+ side) there are two wires attached to frame with a screw, this is the ground for the ECU

Scott
Old 03-03-2004, 06:16 PM   #20
whitepony
Registered Member

oh ok i know what ones your are talking about now !
so when i ground to the sway bar just run a 10g wire from there to the ECU where that screw and two wires are ? like i dont have to move them i just have to put a ground to them?
hey thanks scott

-mike