MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-18-2001, 12:46 PM   #1
82 GT
Import Slayer

Post battery removal

I know this might sound like a stupid question but...If I remove the battery from my 88GT will in screw up the computer?
My girlfriend has a '91 Beretta and the idle seemed to fluctuate, we took it to the garage and the guy said it was because someone replaced the battery and the computer needed to be "re-learned" since the positive was was removed. He says if you remove the battery from those cars the computer needs to be adjusted so it will "remember" what the idle setting is.
I just don't want to have to same problem if I ever replace my battery.

82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2001, 03:13 PM   #2
dinomite
The Dude

Nope. The computer will re-learn, as well as you will have to re-program your radio, but it won't hurt anything. You should also remover you - (negative) battery cable if you do any major mods, as the computer will have to learn about its new engine.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2001, 04:40 PM   #3
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Exclamation

This mechanic was indulging in a half-truth and it's a shame these guys mislead people just to find a way to 'fix' something that isn't broken.

As 'dinomite' stated, removing the battery won't hurt a thing but yes, you do need to re-program the radio station settings afterward. The fact that you were led to believe this was a 'problem' is frustrating.

Common sense tells us that making vehicle computer processors that get screwed up and need to be manually 'reprogrammed' when you remove the power source would be kind of dumb. When the battery is removed (or just the negative connection) the computer will 'see' the new settings - if any - and reprogram itself - (including the idle) after approx. 50 miles of driving. No problem and no need to have anything 'fixed' by anyone.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote