MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-19-2002, 01:11 PM   #1
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Default Long tubes installed

Well, I installed my new BBK long-tube headers and short H-pipe with cats this weekend. It gave me arthritis and a bad headache, but they are on there now. I can't imagine what it would have been like with the stock K-member. Took me a total of 10 hours with the help of a friend. You wouldn't believe how tight it is in there. Had to jack the passenger side up about 3 inches to get it in and the header bolts on that side require the assistance of a midget and a contortionist. Passenger side was touching the frame after installation and had to be dimpled to keep it from rattling. Also had to make my dipstick tube 2 pieces to get it back in. The long-tubes hang down further than the stock exhaust and ground clearance is now just over 3".
Now for the plus side. The seat of the pants meter tells me its noticeably quicker through the mid- and high-rpm range. Shifting hard into second without burning out in first used to yield a good solid bark or turn the tires over some. Now it just burns through second until I let off. Even with cats on the H-pipe and the stock mufflers still on there, it has a much deeper and more aggressive tone.
Loved the results, hated the install.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 04:00 PM   #2
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Sounds like a real nightmare, but at least the results make it worthwhile. I've been looking at longtubes next on mine, but I think I'll go with control arms and DR's first. Also, hate to scrap the bassani X that's on there right now in place of the short H. Just curious, what factor made you go with the longtubes over the shortys? How signifigant is the longtube's HP gain over the shorty?

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Cofounder of Raccoon Racing
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 07:05 PM   #3
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Sean Hyland Motorsports installed shorties on a newer GT and got only about 3 hp. I've seen dyno results showing more like 15-20 hp with long tubes and matching H-pipe, but unfortunately the test that SHM ran did not include installing an H-pipe with the shorties so it's hard to compare directly.
Most people I asked said that even though the long-tubes are a pain, it is almost pointless to get shorties.
Old 02-21-2002, 09:47 AM   #4
SLOW 97
Registered Member

Does it seem like you lost any low-end torque with the long tubes? I'am considering getting these intstalled on my car but I think there might be some torque lost due to the loss of back pressure. But on the otherhand they will make up for it with a significantly larger HP increase than shorties.
Ripped off a BLISTERING 15.37@90MPH
With a 2.21 60ft
Just Installed- K&N Air Filter
Coming Soon......
-4.10's
-Flowmaster A/T or Magnapack Cat-Back
SLOW 97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 05:52 PM   #5
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

If anything it seems like I gained torque throughout the rev range. It's harder to launch now without burning out. I haven't noticed any setback at all in low rpm driveability. I am really enjoying the extra power. This morning I hit 2nd gear hard after running cleanly through 1st and it burned out for about 4 seconds before I had to lift because of traffic (this is with 285s out back).