MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-17-2000, 08:29 PM   #1
SmokeyDP
Registered Member

Post BBK shorties --> MAC Full Length

Right now I have BBK shorties and a stock H-pipe with some type of aftermarket mufflers. It sounds pretty mellow right now, but I wanted to get a more mean sound. I needed a new H-pipe and was thinking of getting MAC Full length headers with a H-pipe with cats. Does anyone know how loud this would be? My old car had stock headers, MAC offroad and Flowmasters.

------------------
1992 GT 5.0L Convertible
BBK Shorties
All Power
Super Chip
Mass Air

SmokeyDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2000, 01:30 AM   #2
Mustanguy

Cool

I've got the Mac 1 5/8 long tube headers,H-pipe with no convertors and 2 chamber flowmasters,sounds great

Goto www.mustangworld.com for some audio clips of some exhaust systems.

------------------
Paxton Blown 87GT
Mustang..it's not just a car,it's an attitude
Old 12-18-2000, 06:00 AM   #3
Mach 1
Registered Member

Leave the shorty headers, and install an off road h-pipe. This will make it A LOT louder. If stil not loud enough for you at this point, install a different muffler. Changing headers from your BBK shorties to MAC long tubes is a waste of money and time.

------------------
1993 GT/AOD
'93 Mustang GT
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2000, 08:25 AM   #4
Phil Ossifer
Registered Member

SmokeyDP,

Ditch the shorties!
These things were designed for people who don’t have access to a custom exhaust facility or don’t have the ability or know how to do it themselves. Shorties are an easy bolt-on that have no advantage over the stock headers due to the restriction at the connection to the H-pipe. If they made shorties that mated to the exhaust pipes in the same way long tube headers connect (collector), they would provide better flow over the stock set-up but then they wouldn’t be an easy bolt-on.

I’ve went that route with the shorties, both equal and unequal; they were a huge disappointment! If you plan on better heads or cam swap in the future, your level of disappointment will be even greater with the shorties.

If you want your exhaust system to breath, go with full length long tube headers. Your engine will sound better but best of all, it’ll run better too...

Phil
Phil Ossifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2000, 08:29 AM   #5
11 Second Cobra
Registered Member

Exclamation

You don't list very many mods, and I think that while the sound you end up with might please your ears, the resulting loss of low-end torque and throttle response will not please your seat-of-the-pants feel. Longtubes on a basically stock motored car won't help make power and make actually hurt you.

As for sound, I used to run Dynomax Super-Turbos, they were too quiet for my liking. I switched to a Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back and the sound changed dramatically...

Greg

------------------
'94 Cobra [list][*]Vortech S-Trim, 9 psi[*]Ported GT40X heads[*]AFM B-2 cam

11 Second Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2000, 08:39 AM   #6
11 Second Cobra
Registered Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil Ossifer:
SmokeyDP,

Ditch the shorties!
These things were designed for people who don’t have access to a custom exhaust facility or don’t have the ability or know how to do it themselves. Shorties are an easy bolt-on that have no advantage over the stock headers due to the restriction at the connection to the H-pipe.

If you want your exhaust system to breath, go with full length long tube headers. Your engine will sound better but best of all, it’ll run better too...

Phil
Hmmmm... I have had many different combos, engines, headers, etc... I do all my own work, so I like to think that I have the "knowhow and ability to do it myself"

My experience has been, that you would want to avoid too free-flowing of an exhaust when running stock heads, cam, intake, TB Mass-Air, etc etc. You WILL lose low-end torque and throttle response, while MAYBE picking up a few ponies up high.

FWIW, my current car, which has seen many different combos in the 6 years I've owned it, has FMS UNequal shorties on it. Along with a blower, ported heads and a AFM B2 cam. It runs 96.xx MPH in the eigth mile.
The low-end throttle response is incredible.
I've put the hurt on cars running more boost and with big-tube full length headers...

It's all in the combo...

Just my .02...

11 Second Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2000, 10:09 AM   #7
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

long tubes increase low end torque and top end hp..ive seen a stock 5.0 with long tubes and gears kick some @ss over by me b4..i would never buy shorties again after having my longtubes..infact i just sold my last set of MAC shorties i had laying around this past weekend..it will def sound better tho..i got full MAC exhaust(long tubes, h-pipe, cat back) and it sounds sick as he11..

------------------
1987 black notch(ex 4 banger)
DSS 306 w/ main support...Elderbrock 6028 heads..gt-40 intake..24# injectors...70 mm tb..77 pro-m...accel 300+..mac full legnth..tremec w/ pro5oh...full MAC exhaust,off road h-pipe,long tubes, catback...ron davis radiator..subframes, control arms...CFDF II..o yea holley FPR sucks..dont buy one..
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2000, 10:59 AM   #8
SmokeyDP
Registered Member

I dont plan on adding headers and intake at this point because the car is still a daily driver. Maybe a Supercharger down the road. I wanted to try to keep my exhuast legal(jersey is a pain in the a$$ with that). My other option was to use a X-pipe with high flow cats with my current setup.

------------------
1992 GT 5.0L Convertible
BBK Shorties
All Power
Super Chip
Mass Air

SmokeyDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2000, 11:28 AM   #9
AJSTANG
Registered Member

I have MAC long tubes and hi-flow cats on my 93 Conv. The system provides a loud deep tone that is still tolerable. The sound is loud enough to get people's attention. The car gets a lot of attention as I drive through the neighborhood, even the chevy guys can't resist and have to look up and see what's coming down the road.

The other advantage is the increase in power associated with this combo. I shaved 0.55 sec after I ditched the stock headers and hi-pipe for this exhuast set-up.

------------------
'93 GT Conv.
13.35 @ 104.8 mph
AJSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2001, 02:23 PM   #10
86LX5liter
Registered Member

sdfbhsdzbdsb testing
86LX5liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2001, 03:10 PM   #11
AxemanZZ
Registered Member

Man there has been a lot of posts about exhaust mods lately. As I've stated in probably all of them, my long tubes increased my power from low end to top end. It climbs faster than it ever has out of the hole and will peg the rev limiter so fast it's almost difficult to shift at 5500 rpm through every gear. And it was a real seat of the pants mod. We'll find out just how much my exhaust helped me this spring.

If you aren't planning on headers at this time consider just doing the cat-back. Otherwise if you do decide to go with long tubes in the future (which you should IMO instead of wasting time installing shorties) you won't have to buy another crossover. Always plan on future mods instead of just buying something that will work for now. It'll save you tons of cash in the long run.

------------------
90 Mustang LX 5.0
My Ride*My Site
AxemanZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2001, 09:04 PM   #12
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

I just put turndowns on my car with offroad exhaust, shortys and 2 chambers, its loud.

Skyler

------------------
-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-
TFS Heads, Edelbrock intake, E-303, 3.73's, 1 5/8 shorty headers, Offroad-Hpipe, 2chamber flows, 36psi FPR, playing with timing still, 70mm tb, 73mm maf, 24lb injectors, K/N, March Crank pulley, MSD6a, 9mm wires and FMS Aluminum driveshaft.
Best ET 13.2@106mph Needs tuning...
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: