Old 12-18-2000, 08:39 AM   #6
11 Second Cobra
Registered Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil Ossifer:
SmokeyDP,

Ditch the shorties!
These things were designed for people who don’t have access to a custom exhaust facility or don’t have the ability or know how to do it themselves. Shorties are an easy bolt-on that have no advantage over the stock headers due to the restriction at the connection to the H-pipe.

If you want your exhaust system to breath, go with full length long tube headers. Your engine will sound better but best of all, it’ll run better too...

Phil
Hmmmm... I have had many different combos, engines, headers, etc... I do all my own work, so I like to think that I have the "knowhow and ability to do it myself"

My experience has been, that you would want to avoid too free-flowing of an exhaust when running stock heads, cam, intake, TB Mass-Air, etc etc. You WILL lose low-end torque and throttle response, while MAYBE picking up a few ponies up high.

FWIW, my current car, which has seen many different combos in the 6 years I've owned it, has FMS UNequal shorties on it. Along with a blower, ported heads and a AFM B2 cam. It runs 96.xx MPH in the eigth mile.
The low-end throttle response is incredible.
I've put the hurt on cars running more boost and with big-tube full length headers...

It's all in the combo...

Just my .02...

11 Second Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote