MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Windsor Power (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   bbk unequals and stock H pipe :( (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=25027)

scale 06-13-2002 11:11 PM

bbk unequals and stock H pipe :(

I have been working on getting my new headers in the past few nights after work and after getting them in i cant get my stock H to line up on the drivers side. THe pass. side is great but the drivers side flange on the stock h needs to be rotated about 10 degrees clock wise for the holes to line up so i get get the studs though. I havent pulled out my h due to the emissions pipe that runs up under the hood. I cant get the bugger off the h. I was going to cut it and find a spacer for it and clamp it back into place but i would rather not. THe stock h flanges do not rotate on the h pipe and if they do...well mines just a bit too rust to get it to budge. Any recommendations? I dont own a torch but i was thinking of getting a small thing of mapp gas and heating my h pipe up just south of the o2 sensor, using a large *** pipe wrench and tweeking (twisting) it to fit. I am about out of options otherwise. Does anyone have any recommendations? I dont wanna buy a new H pipe right now even though i should. I would rather wait until next winter when i can afford it.

Btw...it is a 91lx coupe, 5.0 with stock h and mac cat back system and bbk ceramic unequals.

any feed back would be appreciated. I cant wait to get this thing back together. Still working on polishing the engine...talk about elbow grease......

thanks

cyberstang5.0 06-14-2002 07:27 AM

It's kinda hard to trouble shoot this without seeing the car, but I'll give it a shot...

Did you try turning the flange that's on the header? I have MAC unequ headers and I can turn mine. I also have a set of BBK long tubes that are waiting to be stuffed in. I can't remember if they turn or not :confused: It's been a while since I had the stock H-pipe. I thought those flanges turned as well... :confused:

Sounds like I ain't being much help..... :rolleyes: If that didn't work, I would try to "bend" the H-pipe to see if it will fit. If I couldn't do that... then I would just run open header :D

scale 06-14-2002 08:01 AM

my bbks are welded at the flange so they dont turn and my stock h wont turn either. I think it is crimped or maybe welded as well. I cant tell....it is a bit rusty. I think i am going to heat it up and twist the whole damn pipe.

LX5liter 06-14-2002 09:20 AM

The flange on the stock H-pipe does turn. If your going to use heat anyway, heat up the flange to loosen the rust and give it a few good whacks with a 3 pound sledge and it will break free. I wouldn't twist the pipe. If it has any corrosion at all it will probably rip.

Dark Knight 06-14-2002 11:41 AM

that tube comes out up top...a Y-shaped hose from the air pump... pretty easy to take off. ;-)