MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-26-2002, 01:29 AM   #1
5.0PiMpin
Registered Member

Question Bent springs???

i was under my car the other day and when i looked at the springs in the front they seemed to bend right before they met the control arm. not only was this happening to the front two springs but also the rear. is this normal? it seems wierd to me that all the springs in my car are bent the exact same way. i think that this might be the problem with my car swaying when i drive it. i have checked the sway bars and they are all on snug. every time i am on the freeway i feel like the tail end of my car is swaying just a little bit. my friend said it might be the bushings in the back. my car has 153,000 miles on it and i know things are starting to give. if anybody knows wats up or has some suggestions i would surely appreciate it. thanks

danny
off road h-pipe , under drive pulley's , stage one center force clutch, removed air silencer, flows, K&N, 130 Amp pain in my alternator, optima yellow top 3.73 gears aluminum drive shaft and pro5.0 shifter...
5.0PiMpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 02:50 AM   #2
chris91LX
Registered Member

That's normal when the car is up in the air and there is no weight on the front or rear suspension. The control arms in the back and the A arms in the front open and close in a sort of v, when the v is open all the way the springs will appear distorted because their perches are "pointing" in differen't directions than when the weight of the car is on them.

The swaying may be that the springs, shocks and/or bushings are tired after 153k miles, or your tires may be bad, or you might have an alignment problem. Definitely ought to check them all out.
chris91LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 10:20 PM   #3
5.0PiMpin
Registered Member

thanx for the rely man, i really hope its sumtin that i can improve upon like what u mentioned. i do notice though that my car appears lowered, even though it is still riding on the stock springs and suspension. do the springs sag? if i went and got some springs off a wreck would it be ok? or should they be brand new?
off road h-pipe , under drive pulley's , stage one center force clutch, removed air silencer, flows, K&N, 130 Amp pain in my alternator, optima yellow top 3.73 gears aluminum drive shaft and pro5.0 shifter...
5.0PiMpin is offline   Reply With Quote