MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-04-2002, 01:09 PM   #1
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Question Best Brands for 351W build? (pistons, rods, cam, heads, etc)

Okay I will try to make this to the point.

Got another '87 351W block I am about to get rebuilt to support an intercooled Procharger system for carbureted motor. Block is at engine builder as I type this message.

1) He will check for cracks and clean the block (if it's worth it).

2) If block needs boring, I will find out how much so I can order my forged pistons (BUT FROM WHICH COMPANY/BRAND)

3) Engine builder will provide freeze plugs and bearings (possibly, but I was told by FRPP to get Clevite bearings?),

4) I'm going with original cast crank, forged rods (should I get Eagle H-beam rods), and roller cam.

5) What about heads (which is one of the first things I need to be looking at). Naturally aspirated, I don't want this engine to have more than 8.8:1 compression. So my heads need to match pistons, cam, roller rockers, pushrods, and lifters.

Any advise from the great and wise masters of the Windsor forum is highly appreciated.
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 01:52 PM   #2
Young_Pony

I have heard good things about D.S.S and there in house brand Probe

For heads i would go with AFR 185's if its going to be a street car a AFR 205's if its Race only

STeven
Old 07-05-2002, 10:48 AM   #3
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Question

Hey thanks for the advice. I guess could give DSS a call.

Anyone else wanna share some advice???? I know there is more out there.
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Old 07-05-2002, 11:29 AM   #4
Eric4Nitrous
Registered Member

Hey man, looks like the car is coming together nicely. Ok now to answer some questions. i will answer them in order that you asked. #2. Ross pistons is all i have to say for that matter. Billy Glidden, Dan Millen, Billy Laskowsky, and myself and others use them. Their the best. #3 Clevite is VERY good. #4. The Eagle H-beam's are some of the best on the market..and so are SRP's. #5. One of the most important choices in picking parts for a motor are HEADS. They can make or break your combo. My personal suggestion would be Trick Flow R heads..or the AFR 205's mentioned earlier. I don't know exactly how radical your getting but from what i've seen either one of these would be good. Also, check into Canfield heads. They manufacture some good pieces as well. Hope this helps.

Eric
Eric4Nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 11:58 AM   #5
Young_Pony

for heads if your going to be making big HP i would get AFR 205's, MM&FF did a flow test with the 205's VS Trick Flow R and the 205's flowed 34 CFM better and they said that this is about how much you would gain from a good port job, so i think the AFR might be a better choice, but then i don't have any experience with those heads, my .02

Steven
Old 07-05-2002, 04:01 PM   #6
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Thumbs up

HEy Guys Thanks a bunch! This is the confirmation I was looking for. Thanks for the advice about the heads! I will definately check into these!

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video

Old 07-05-2002, 06:18 PM   #7
BLACK85GT
Registered Member

I am going with the TFS-R heads on mine, with TFS pistons and #2 TFS cam, tfs 1.7 Rockers. I like the idea of all the parts being matched to work with each other. This is the combo recommended to me from the Trick Flow rep. They say roughly 375 Hp at flywheel on a 302 block with this combo.
5.0, Holley heads, 1.7 Scorp Rockers, Stealth intake, Holley 600 carb, Holley Mech. Fuel pump, MSD 6Digital, MSD distributor, Hotchkis upper/lower rear control arms, FMS B Springs, 3:73 (8.8) rear.
Production # 9,377
BLACK85GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 07:52 PM   #8
Stroked408
Registered Member

Thumbs up Fox Some are good points

Fox,
do not get hung up on this bigger flow number is better kick that get's a lot of people in trouble and pissed at their combos.

Get what matches up,Ross makes a great piston no doubt but JE makes a heckuva product also,as do Wiseco,they make a great piston.

8.8 on the motor is a little low to make great power,I noticed you said you are thinking of going NA,that is why I bring that up,if you are going to stick with the blower,then 8.8 is great.

It looks as if you have done your homework on this and that,but call around and speak to some engine builders,that is your best bet,if you trust your engine guy half the battle is won there,if you just want 2nd opinion(who doesn't?) then call around.

Good luck with your combo,and just remember "Bigger is not always Better" when it comes to flow numbers.

Launch Harder

Go Faster
Stroked408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 04:16 PM   #9
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Thumbs up

Thanks for the added advice Stroked408. Really appreciate it. I had a good talk with Jimmy at La Rocca's Performance (really friendly and helpful guy) and a guy at No Limit in Atlanta, GA. These are the 2 Procharger dealers ATI put me in contact with. Also, I spoke with a tech at FRPP. All were very helpful (esp Jimmy- he also gave me ALOT of added advice). I'm probably gonna run my final combo past Jimmy at La Rocca's, my engine builder, some other people, and you guys. I like to get a LOT of advice and just trash what I don't need . Later...

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video

Old 07-07-2002, 08:16 PM   #10
juiceman
Registered Member

in order to decide what to buy you need to know your final outcome. a setup is based on what you want to do.keep in contact with larocca, he's good people. you can try briante also, larocca knows them also. assuming you have enough money i would use these parts.... j.e.pistons, c.h rods or oliver ( or carillo if you have the dough) bearings dont really matter too much, if you get clevite h bearings the crank will need to be machined to fit. as for heads, well you ned to know if you are staying n.a or forced induction. you dont need as big a head with the charger as you will n.a. tfs r heads are good for high h.p. if you have the money to buy the special headers, rockers and the quality valvetrain it needs. edelbrock victor heads are equally good but the idea is the same. the best thing to do is make a plan on what you want, what you budget is, how long it should take, and what you will be doing with the car. then look at stuff in you price range.
juiceman is offline   Reply With Quote