MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-26-2001, 02:49 AM   #1
89lxinwky
Registered Member

Question Best buy for superchargers

I'm looking into a Vortech A-trim that will satisfy my small budget. I found "superchargersonline.com" that sells them for $1749. Anybody bought anything from this site or know of a better deal anywhere?
Thanks

------------------
'89 LX 5spd w/ 56K, MAC shorties & H-pipe, Flowmasters, 3.73 gears, Moroso cold air
89lxinwky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2001, 02:54 AM   #2
89lxinwky
Registered Member

Question

Also, I saw on the Vortech site they sell 73mm mass air meters for $119. They look like C&L. Are they one in the same?
Old 08-26-2001, 04:07 AM   #3
smokedchevy
Registered Member

If you're spending around $2000 I wouldn't take chances with a small comapny even if you save $200. I would buy the supercharger from either Summitt or Jeg's. Customer service and guarantees more than makes up for small savings. Trust me. I've returned more than my share of stuff to Summitt, and they take it back, no questions asked.

------------------
92 GT, 4:10 gears, centerforce clutch, 6# powerdyne blower, bbk h-pipe, flowmasters
smokedchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2001, 04:53 AM   #4
89lxinwky
Registered Member

Hey smokedchevy, have you had any trouble with your Powerdyne and how was the install? I've been looking at those also. The 6# Powerdyne or Vortech A-trim are in the price range I'm willing to spend and will serve my purpose for now. I like the Powerdyne because you don't have to run an oil line and seems to me it would be an easier install than the A-trim. Either way I go, I just want something that will give me a little boost and will be relatively easy to install and maintain.

------------------
'89 LX 5spd w/ 56K, MAC shorties & H-pipe, Flowmasters, 3.73 gears, Moroso cold air
Old 08-27-2001, 02:17 AM   #5
smokedchevy
Registered Member

Thumbs up

The Powerdyne is the easiest to install, hands down. However, punching a hole in your pan is easier than you think. It's just a drain back line that's all, it's not high pressure. The powerdyne is very simple and I've changed the internal belt myself. It will break eventually but you can buy a belt for $60. It takes a few hours to pull it apart and put it back together. The Powerdyne is good if you want the sleeper attire. It's very quiet till you smash the throttle, then it whistles loud. The Vortech sounds like the world is coming to an end, it's great!! All you here is straght cut gears churning baby! The Vortech is a more durable blower than the powerdyne. If you're going to do dragstrip launches you'll want the Vortech. The drastic drop in impeller Rpm's will snap the powerdyne belt after so many passes. But they're easy to change. If I were you, I'd buy the Vortech and punch your pan. You won't be disappointed, especially when you hear that thing whine. But powerdynes are great also. I love mine.

------------------
92 GT, 4:10 gears, centerforce clutch, 6# powerdyne blower, bbk h-pipe, flowmasters
Old 08-28-2001, 01:01 AM   #6
89lxinwky
Registered Member

Thanks, I'll probably go with the A-trim when budget permits in a couple of months unless someone talks me out of it. Obviously, the S-trim looks better but the price doesn't for what I want. When I get it, I'll probably go ahead and buy a new intake as well to get the full effect of more air flow. Right now I'm thinking TFS street. Will my stock throttle body be ok for this mild setup or should I upgrade that as well? From what I've read here, the stock injectors and fuel pump should do, right? Does this combo have potential? Any comments? I just want something that will make it fun getting up to the speed-limit (or a little more) and an occasional strip run for fun.
Thanks

------------------
Old 08-28-2001, 10:49 AM   #7
Coupe Devil

I cant help with the supercharger question but where in ky are you? I'm in mayfield.
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 04:42 PM   #8
smokedchevy
Registered Member

Your kit will come with an FMU and will raise fuel pressure as boost increases. However, it's not as exact as bigger injectors and a boost retard. But it works just fine. I would get a 190lph fuel pump though. They're only about $100 and it's agood piece of mind. Your stock Throttle body will work, but you'll probably be happier with a 70mm. The power gains will be good, but they will be significantly higher with cylinder heads and an intake. The better your heads and intake flow, the more power you will make. Less restriction helps the intake charge stay cooler. You already have an exhaust and gears. You should run deep into the 13's with slicks. After your heads and intake, you should run 12's or faster with 6#'s of boost.

------------------
Old 08-31-2001, 08:40 AM   #9
White91
Registered Member

Summit has a price guarantee. I just purchased a Vortech A-trim this past weekend. I found that in the last issue of MMFF, Livernois Motorsport, in Michigan, advertised this kit for $1650. I emailed summit, and they agreed to sell it for $1680 with free shipping. I ordered it Wednesday and it arrived on Friday morning by Fed-Ex. Everything was included in the kit, as it came in a Vortech factory sealed box.
Summit was great. I hope this helps.
I think I will spend this weekend installing the blower.
White91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 01:59 PM   #10
Capri306

Anyone find a good deal for a Novi 2000 kit? Cheapest I've found is around $2800.

...or AFR heads for that matter?

------------------
Capri306, Moderator, The Mustang Works Online
1979 Mercury Capri, 5.0L -- C4 -- 2.73
1987 Mustang LX Notch
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote