MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-02-2002, 07:33 PM   #1
mattyt
Registered Member

Default best exhuast to pass etest

My car wont pass emissions because i have no cats, they check for cats.

Im thinking about getting a new exhaust with cats. I currently have hooker triy headers, x pipe flowmaster catnack. Looking to keep the flowmaster cat back system and get new headers, hi flow cats and an x pipe.

Engine has gt-40 heads and intake, basically like the 93 cobra's. Been offline for a while and was just wondering what people thought i should get for an exhaust and from who? I can install myself.

thanks
matt
mattyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 07:36 AM   #2
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

I had a MAC H-pipe with Hi-flow cats and I haven't had any problems. I can feel the difference between my cats and my off road, but it was much better then stock cats. MAC makes some really good parts, it's just that their coating sucks. If you were to get their H-pipe, you should get some header paint and respray it.
cyberstang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 08:01 AM   #3
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

I passed e-test with a very mild cam and BBK headers & cats. Just took the cats off and WOW, what a difference!
Engine is a 1969 351 block w/393 stroker kit. Dynamic Roller Myte C4, 8 pt cage. Edlebrock Performer heads and Victor Jr. EFI, FRPP 30lb injectors & Cartech fuel system. MSD ignition. Sothside Machine bars & Sub-frames, adj. upper's, 3.73's, Koni rear shocks, much more
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 09:53 PM   #4
stangposse
Registered Member

They sell imitation catalytics that clamp on to your off road pipe. They are just covers but look like the real thing. My buddy used them on his 87GT, the guy put the mirror under the car, the $8/hr tech guy never suspected anything.

These will help you pass the visual, but not the smog test. SInce his car was an 87 with a fresh engine he passed anyway. The older cars can get away with dirtier exhaust because the standards are lower. So give it a try.

I'm not sure where he got them, but I'll try and find out. But in the meantime, if u are ina hurry, I'm sure you can do a search online and find a set.
stangposse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 06:22 AM   #5
Mustang_289
Registered Member

We have a complete MAC setup including long-tube headers. Make sure you're O2 sensors are in good order - you might even want to take them out and clean them. We set our timing back to the stock settings - pulled the car in when motor was hot and we did pass emissions.
Mustang_289 is offline   Reply With Quote