MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-06-2002, 10:27 AM   #1
dragstang86
Registered Member

Default Auburn posi ???'s...please help

my car had a Auburn posi with 373 gears in it when i bought it. I can get the posi to kick in though. When i do a burnout only the pass. side tire spins. Ive heard with some posi rears you have to put it in reverse then back in first and punch it to engage the posi. Is that true with auburn? Im not very knowledgable about posi because all my cars have always had a locked diff. (but they wernt street cars so...) If i could get the posi to kick in i could really get some good 60ft's but right now i cant even come up on my 3500 stall or i wll fry the one tire. From an idle it still spins some and i has a 1.75 60ft. So i should be in the 1.60's if i can get this straightened out.

Thanks for your help,
bryan
90lx
86 coupe
dragstang86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 07:04 AM   #2
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

I installed a posi Auburn posi with 3.73's in it myself. I have never had that problem. When I take off, both tires spin without hesitation. You shouldn't have to go in reverse to "activate" the posi. I have never heard that before. That defets the purpose of the posi unit. From what it sounds like to me, either you were miss informed about your rear end carrier when you bought it (they lied to you) and you really have a limited slip (stock-your passenger tire spins, then if it starts to slip, it will kick over to the other tire for tracktion, never both at the same time), OR... you blew your rear end, and need to get a new one.
cyberstang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 01:16 PM   #3
Mustanguy

How long ago did you install the Auburn?

They will start doing this "one wheel wonder" when they are worn out,and once they r worn out they be no good anymore.

I've got a Aubron Pro and dont have any problems(knock on wood)have had it for 4 years.

Change the rear-end fluid once,see if it cures this "one wheel wonder"if not she's sayin good-bye.
Old 10-07-2002, 05:12 PM   #4
dragstang86
Registered Member

Yea ill try changing the fluid. Supposidly the rear is less than a year old and only has about 7k on it. Said that it was completely rebuilt when the auburn was installed. Occasionally it will kick in once i leave the line but the majority of the time it wont especially when im in the burnout box. While i have the cover off changing the fluid is there a way i can check to make sure it is infact a auburn posi?

thanks for your help,
bryan
Old 10-08-2002, 01:03 PM   #5
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

i have heard bad things about aburn posi's from top ford guys..basically quoted from one is if you dont beet the ***** out of it 100% of the time then they wear quick..they are made to lock both up at the snap of a clutch and daily driving kills em

You might want to hold on..i saw this on a cartoon once
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 02:44 PM   #6
Mustanguy

Daily driving is not the reason for any type of failure to these differentials

The biggest thing that "ruins" these are people who think they gotta slide sideways around corners.These differentials were made mainly for straight-line use.
Old 10-08-2002, 05:52 PM   #7
dragstang86
Registered Member

Do you think changing the fluid and puttin in the limited slip additive will help it any or just a waste of time? What type of fluid should i use? And if the posi is shot then what unit should i replace it with?

thanks for the help,
bryan

90lx
86 coupe