MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-01-2003, 02:42 PM   #1
GodStang
College Stanger

Default How do compare heads and intake.

How do you know when one head is better. There is a guy with an engine that is alot like the one I am going to build. I want to be greedy and have more HP. He has TFT Twised Wedge heads stagge II. They are fully ported with flow 300cfm int. and 220 exhaust. For a daily driver what would be better flowing heads that will give you more HP?

The Lower intake is the 351W GT-40 fully ported lower-Heat/oil coated on lower side and the top is ceramic coated. The upper intake is a Stock Cobra that is fully ported with shortened runners, extending the plenum. What would be an intake set up that would flow better?

I was looking at doing AFR 205 fully CNC ported with either a fully ported Edlebrok or Trickflow Intake. Any ideas on if any of these sets up will flow better and give me more HP? Thanks everyone.
Old 02-01-2003, 03:33 PM   #2
mufflerboy
Registered Member

Well it depend's on how many cubes you have.

If your running a 302 then I would go with the AFr 165 these heads are kick ***. A 205 will do no good for you anless your turnin 7500 rpm.

The small heads will give you lots of torque compared to the 205 which will make your car feel like a honda till 4000.

I have seen guys with the 165's and an rpm intake and E303 run 12.30's Na on daily drivers.

A bigger combo is not always better, its a well matched combo that will give you the sucess your looking for.

Good luck with whatever you decide
Old 02-01-2003, 06:52 PM   #3
HotRoddin
cranky old man

Default Re: How do compare heads and intake.

Quote:
Originally posted by GodStang
How do you know when one head is better.
I agree with mufflerboy ... there really is no easy uncomplicated answer to questions like that. In a hot rod motor there are literally hundreds of variables, each one affecting the other in some way. It depends on how much the car weighs, on how high the RPM range you're gonna run at is, on what intake and carb or injectors your gonna run, on the compression ratio, on your gearing, on what exhaust you're gonna run, on whether its an auto or manual, on whether its gonna be an all out strip car or mostly street that has to have good drivebility. That just scratches the surface ! But one thing for sure is flow isn't everything ! The old 427 ford cammer heads had intake ports so big you could just about fit a beer can down in them right out of the box, but for that reason the low RPM velocity was so bad that you didnt' even begin to make horsepower till you were up into the 4 or 5,000 RPM range. So even tho those heads had monsterous flow numbers, they made a poor choice for a stoplight racer.
Bottom line is you have to take a ton of things into consideration ... no easy answers.
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 07:36 PM   #4
GodStang
College Stanger

It is going to be on a 351 Sportsman. I want to put a Novi 2000 blower on it. I want it to be streetable. The compression will be abouts 9:1. Car weight will be about 3700lbs. Thanks
Old 02-01-2003, 11:37 PM   #5
mufflerboy
Registered Member

In that case the 205's would be a good choice.

My buddy is building a 351 based 383 stroker with 8.5:1 comp. with a NOVI 2000 it will be a monster.

If you need any help with it email me and ill get you in contact with him and he can let you know what is required to get everything working.