MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-13-2002, 02:48 PM   #1
429mustang
Registered Member

Default Big Block Buildup ????

I'm still thinking about building up the '70 429 I have (C9VE) to put in my 86 GT.

Anyone have any advice???

I pretty much want to run at least solid 12's, but I'd rather shoot for 11's. I already have the engine at the machine shop along with a swap pan/hv oil pump, fuel pump, tall valve covers, Victor intake. I'm going to go with some aluminum heads, either FMS Cobrajets, Blue Thunders or Edelbrock Victor's. I want to go with a solid roller cam, possibly a custom ground.
Should I go with a stroker kit (514, around $2000 extra), or just have the block bored and go with factory crank/Forged Pistons and possibly new rods. I want to make it cheap as possible, and don't want to go putting too mush into a stroker kit if the block won't be able to handle it. I'm also looking into a set of splayed Main caps, does anyone make a set??? (Milodon, Eagle??)

Any info is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-13-2002, 03:00 PM   #2
Eric4Nitrous
Registered Member

you can spend alot now or alot later..If you really wanna go 11's why not just spend the $2000 extra If you have have the money and go with the 514?? That would be a good choice. Milodon makes the splayed caps for your motor. If you do indeed go to the 514 use a set of Brodix heads. Either Brodix or Dart will do. Dart makes a little better selection for a BB than Brodix does.
Eric4Nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 03:29 PM   #3
Moxie
Registered Member

go to these sites:

www.bigblockfox.com

http://www.network54.com/Forum/85220

Ask the members of the board for some input on your combo. These guys have already done it, and can lend some valuable info.
Moxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 09:07 PM   #4
429mustang
Registered Member

What other companies make heads for the 385 series blocks besides Ford Motorsports, edelbrock, blue thunder.

I don't want to spend much more than $2000 for complete heads, although I'll probably buy them bare cause I'll need to match the springs to my cam anyway.

Anyone else???????????????
Who make good custom ground roller cams????
Old 11-13-2002, 09:50 PM   #5
Eric4Nitrous
Registered Member

Ed Curtis all the way for a custom cam.
Eric4Nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 10:09 PM   #6
jim_howard_pdx
Registered Member

Cool

Like Eric, I am a big proponent for the 514 stroker engine. With ported Aluminum Super Cobra Jet Heads, 13 to 1 compression and a nice solid roller, it cooked up 817 hp on gasoline alone. This is really superb power. It is what you will need if you go up against the Merlin engines now adays.

Brodix is a great manufacturer for race quality heads. I know that trick flow has a head now for this application, but I am not sure who might be using it.

You want to maintain the cantalevered valve style so the intake runs down the center of the cylinder. This is why the 429 wedge did so well in Nascar racing.

Check into using the highest pin location piston you can find, and run the longest rod you can at whatever displacement you decide to run.

If nothing else, just run a 460 crank, light long rods, and light pistons. There is no reason to run a 429 displacement when there are so many 500-600 cubic inch strokers out there prowling the streets.

Personally I would build a 351 stroker engine, run race heads, and NOS. You can easily hit low 10's with the right blend of parts. I prefer the 377 and a long rod, but I know eric is up there at 426 and is going to run 6's. YOU GO! ERIC THE ROCKET MAN!!!

Check out Competitioncams.com. Click on catalog, and you will find about 25-50 grinds for solid roller 385 series cams. These will run around 200-250 dollars, and they are RACE PROVEN pieces. Their tech line guys are some of the best advice guys I have talked to, and their world record engines total in the 1,000's now....

If I can find an email address for Kaase, I will pass it along. He is the guy who designed the Aluminum Cobra Jet Head. It is very inexpensive and with that little bit of port work can get you monster power.

Check Summit racing to see if they have a 514 stroker kit. This might be as cheap as going with a stock rebuild using quality parts. They manufacture about 250 engines per month now, and they have got some good tech people too.

Hope this helps. Read my speed secrets 1-5 for some ideas to share with the shop you choose to help you. Or read up, buy some tools and put the engine together yourself. It really is a fun process if all the machining work and balance is done by a top rate professional.

Good luck.
Old 11-14-2002, 02:10 AM   #7
429mustang
Registered Member

Thanks dudes. Anyone know what size the bore needs to be on a 514 compared to the stock size on a 429? I'll probably go with the Cobrajets, although I'll look into the trick flows. I'm probably gonna convert to manual brakes, and maybe a manual rack from flaming river. Does anyone have either of these setup in their car, I probably won't be able to keep the power brakes cause of clearance with the tall valve covers, but I don't want to put a manual rack opn if it's gonna steer real hard or crappy, I want to be able to drive it around comfortably, at least as much as it can be.
Any carb suggestions??? I was thinking an 850 double pumper.
Old 11-14-2002, 08:31 AM   #8
USMC302
Registered Member

Quote:
I pretty much want to run at least solid 12's, but I'd rather shoot for 11's
You can run solid 12's with the 302 you have. and shoot for 11's in it too. But I think you are doing it right, either put the money into the big block or the 302, not both, like I did, now I have to start on the 460, but I'm not looking for solid12's or 11's with that. Hello 10 second all motor car.
Old 11-14-2002, 10:26 AM   #9
429mustang
Registered Member

I don't know what to expect, I definitely wouldn't mind 10's. I just checked out summits buildup with one of their cast cranks and chevy rods which made a 520ci that put out like 720 hp. It had around 13/1 compression though, I'll probably go with around 10.2, maybe 11.something and run additives in my gas, we'll see. Whats the deal with the trickflow A460 heads, they show on some sites their out of production, Summit says on their site you can pre order them for the beginning of next year.
Regardless, I just want at least smowhere close to 500 hp at the wheels, if not more. Should I go with a TKO II trans, or a built
C-6? I just want overdirve so I can actually take the car places, plus the stick would be fun to cruise, it would be sweet to dump it and burnout on the highway. Are their available bellhousings/clutches/flywheels for bigblocks?
Old 11-14-2002, 07:06 PM   #10
429mustang
Registered Member

????
Old 11-15-2002, 12:18 AM   #11
Coupe Devil

Cams - Ed Curtis or Howard Cams, Both will do custom stuff.
Rockers - Harland Sharp 1.73 period, grat luck with these.
Rods and Pistons, Childs and Albert, Lunati both very good and have had good luck with both. Lunati for steel or C&A for aluminum.
Heads - Blue thunder, Cobra jet ( more upper rpm power), Iron DOVE castings ( more power under 6500)
Intake - Victor Jr.
Carb 750 Dp. or go efi with a sdyder intake ( this would be extremely cool and can use 5.0 controls to do it, jsut recently learned this)
Clutch - one word here McCleod Thats it, not others for me and a big block period, have had so much great luck with these, dont think I will ever even try another company
Or go with a good rebuilt c-6 Not sure what your gonna be running into as far as interior things, where the shifter will land of say a 4 speed or a TKO if you can get a bellhousing to fit the TKO, Im not sure

Bradley

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 02:48 AM   #12
429mustang
Registered Member

Thanks. I checked out lakewoods site, they dodn't show a big block bellhousing for foxbodys, but they had one for an older mustang w/bigblock, but I'm assuming a TKO won't bolt up if it's made for a 4sp. toploader. They did say they did custom bellhousings for any combo, but who knows how much that'll be. Anyway, thanks for all the input. Keep it coming.

Also, anyone know what kind of work it'll be to use a motorplate mounting system if I replace the k-member with a tubular one from Maximum Motorsports or D&D? Will the tubular one with tubular controlarms be plenty strong enough to handle the weight of the bigblock?
Old 11-15-2002, 08:18 PM   #13
429mustang
Registered Member

?