MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-09-2003, 12:30 AM   #1
93blkGTfun
Registered Member

Default big tires small, wide tires, skinny?

I'm thinking about getting new rims for my car and was curious as to the biggest size you can stuff into the wheel wells. Also, can you put say 18x9s in the back and 17s in the front?
Old 04-09-2003, 05:50 AM   #2
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

you can put any size you want up front since it wont effect your speedo... the only thing you want to make sure you DO.. if makesure you're spare is the same size as your rear tires.. or close... otherwise you'll be spinning one side more then the other on the posi and it could wear out faster... though most people dont drive around on the spare for long... but dependson who you are I guess
-as
Old 04-09-2003, 07:16 AM   #3
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by ChunkFunky
you can put any size you want up front since it wont effect your speedo... the only thing you want to make sure you DO.. if makesure you're spare is the same size as your rear tires.. or close... otherwise you'll be spinning one side more then the other on the posi and it could wear out faster... though most people dont drive around on the spare for long... but dependson who you are I guess
-as

Yes, you can put 18x9 in the rear. Because those are the tires that are concerned with the speedo, make sure the circumfrance on the tires are the same (both stock & new). If you get taller tires, you'll have to change it if you want accurate speedometer and milage.

You can fit 18's in the front if you want. The width is what you have to be concerned about. I have 17x9's all the way around and they rub a little bit in the front at lock. You will have to roll your fenders if you get 17 and up rims. I had to do that to mine. If your car is dropped, that will cause problems with tire clearence.

IMO: do not get anything taller then 17's. This makes the tired very thin (low profile) and gives you a much harder ride. Plus, don't think about drag racing with these tires. They will not grip strait for anything. There is a reason why NHRA drag cars have HUGE side walls
cyberstang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 07:40 AM   #4
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

WHOA.. you're selling you car? what's that about.. that's one nice lookin car...

but back to the subject... it all depends on what you intentions are with the car... you'll see these hondas with reall low profile tires cause that's the thing now...but tires like that are good for turning... the sidewalls dont flex much and they hold thier shape well... though with a drag car your sidewalls want to flex that keeps them from spinning out... when you look at a take off.... there's going to be alot of engery being transfered. You want as much of that going into kenetic motion. the next best thing would be to absorbed by your side wall cause the last step is to break the tires loose and waste it all on heat and smoke....

If you can get your hands on some drag videos and watch them in slowmo you'll see the sidewalls kinda crinkling up as the car launches.

Also low profile tires will kill your rims if you live where there's alot of pot holes.. I have normal tires on my car and I have a huge dent in my rim from a NYC pothole..
-as
Old 04-09-2003, 07:48 AM   #5
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

Yeah, I'm selling it but it's more or less out of my hands. I want to keep her, but it's better if I get rid of her I'm only going to sell her for what I am asking. If no one buys her, then I'll still be happy to keep her. Once my situation settles down, I'll get another stang and build that one up again.
cyberstang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 06:46 PM   #6
93blkGTfun
Registered Member

The main thing I am concerned about is hooking up. As far as potholes go in evansville, Indiana...

Several days ago it was 75 degrees outside.
Today it snowed, for most of the day.

It tears roads up like theres no tomorrow. I'll probably stick with 16 inchers and just get wider rims.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: