MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-25-2001, 03:45 AM   #1
blake buckman
Registered Member

Question Black Majic Fans???

Anyone used these electric fans?? quailty? and Function??
blake buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2001, 09:05 AM   #2
Mach 1
Registered Member

if your refering to the mustang specific fan, it is good quality and function. It cools the same as the stocker, but has the benefit of being electric, for a small gain in power. If your looking for increased cooling from this fan, look elsewhere.

------------------
1993 GT/AOD
'93 Mustang GT
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2001, 02:13 PM   #3
Skankin
Registered Member

It's overpriced & underpowered. Only really good for the stock 225HP, without a/c.

An SN95 or MarkVIII fan is better & cheaper. They do require a 130 amp alt though... but it's a good upgrade anyway.

It'll free up about 20HP, warm up quicker, and run at a more consistant temperature.

You'll also need some wiring (temp probe, thermostat, etc.)... you can get cheap kits from Summit, Permacool, etc...
Skankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2001, 07:10 PM   #4
John Cummins
Registered Member

The Black Tragic Fan is a piece of JUNK!!!! I had one in my 5.0L and got rid of it because it decided to come on when ever it wanted, which was usually never. I have a Perma-Cool with a Advanced Auto radiator mount thermostat. This thing is awesome. I highly recommend it.
John Cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2001, 02:52 AM   #5
87horsepower
Registered Member

The Lincoln Mark VIII fan works pretty well from what I here.
87horsepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2001, 10:54 AM   #6
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

sn95, mark VIII, tourus..ive used them all..all IMO the best fans out there..they all use the same fan moter and blade just diffrent houseings..anyone you got to modify ..they all work great..do not waste ur $$ on a after marrket..i just picked up a 94-99 fan brand new for $160..

------------------
1987 black notch(ex 4 banger)
DSS 306 w/ main support...Elderbrock 6028 heads..gt-40 intake..24# injectors...70 mm tb..77 pro-m...accel 300+..mac full legnth..tremec w/ pro5oh...full MAC exhaust,off road h-pipe,long tubes, catback...ron davis radiator..subframes, control arms...CFDF II..o yea holley FPR sucks..dont buy one..
AIM=onesillynotch
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2001, 11:53 AM   #7
AB89GT
Registered Member

I am running the black magic, and have had no problems so far. A noticable power increase and can also maintain a steady temp. If you put your hand in front of it, you can feel that it has good CFM. The price is a little steep, but I feel its worth it with how easy the installation is.

------------------
89 black GT, 5 spd
flex-a-lite electric fan
flowmaster cat-back + h-pipe
MSD Blaster coil
FMS 9mm wires

AB89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2001, 12:44 PM   #8
stangsrule
Registered Member

Smile

I have the Black Magic on my car and am very happy with it. I had a hard time deciding if I really wanted to spend that much money on a fan but after I got it and saw the quality of the kit, how complete it is, how easy it is to install and that it even comes with a mounting bracket for the overflow bottle I decided it was well worth the money. I have it on a car making well over 400hp and have had no cooling problems though I haven't had a chance to run it with the AC yet. I think it is a great setup myself, but good luck with whatever you decide to go with.

------------------
92GT all the free stuff and a few bolt-ons, lowered with Ebiach's and Koni's, Kenny Brown subframe connectors, lower G-brace and jacking rails. BBK upper and lower control arms, polyurethane bushings all around and Ken Bell blower, ram-air, 80mm mass air, etc.
stangsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2001, 03:49 PM   #9
Fostang
Registered Member

I have the perma cool fan and I love it. Way better than having to hear the fan everytime you rev the engine. Since I didn't have a fan clutch on it being a 67' I did notice plenty of difference.

------------------
67'fastback-Edelbrock carb,intake,cam,valve springs.Rhode lifters, CompCam rocker arms, windage tray,cerama coated headers,dual flows with H-pipe, modded c-4,tci stall converter,perma cool electric fan,aluminum water pump,griffen aluminum radiator,accel 8.8 cable,wide cap distriburator,magnetic pick up,v-matic hurst shifter,edelbrock performer nitrous, carter electric fuel pump,ignitor coil,solid motor mounts,magna racing suspension,poly urathane bushings,under rider traction bars, comp. eng. s
Fostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2001, 05:34 PM   #10
go4it
Registered Member

Starting my third year on the Black Mag fan, no problems so far but I do have a 3 core aluminun radiator also. A tight fit with the blower. But like the rest say there is probably better.
http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/...dia.cgi?1621+1

------------------
93GT, S-trim (2.95 pulley), SFMU, Stage 2 TFS TW heads, Stage 2 Cobra intake, AFM powerpipe, PRO-M 75mm massair, 75mm throttle body, 42lb.inj. 1 5/8 headers, 2 1/2 h-pipe and exhaust, 2 chamber Flowmasters, 3.55 gears, Ultradyne cam, Elder.timing gears, Black Magic fan, 3 row alum.rad. MSD6al/BTM, MSD coil, MSD shift light, subframe connectors, A-pillar gauges, Pro-5.0 shifter.
go4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2001, 10:30 PM   #11
Mad Horse
Registered Member

So if I were to pick up a SN95 or newer fan from Ford for my 88GT what else would I need for the install? Brackets, thermostat, and wiring??? I want to get the electric just need some help from you that have done it already.

LX XLR8R, I imagine you know what I need and how to do it since you have had them all. So if you could give me some knowledge I'd appreciate it.

------------------
88GT 5-speed
Mods: Cervinis Ram air hood 3.73 gears, King Cobra clutch, Pro 5.0, March alum. Pullies, DynoMax Cat-back, WMS Xtrac subframes, 16" Ponies.
"Nip it in the Bud"
My Webpage
Mad Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2001, 08:49 AM   #12
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

well ive use tourus fans to cool a aluminum headed mustang with ease and that was using a 4banger radiator..right now i turn mine(sn95 fan) on automatically via the foglight switch(i have a lx..i just had the switch laying around)..to mount it i just drill 2 holes in the top of ur radiator and fan and use 2 bolts..for the bottom i used a couple zip ties but will make brakets soon enuff

what i am going to get looks like the greatest thing out there..its in summit, made by CSI and is a 2 1/16" digital temp gauge with a custom built in turn on lead for ur fan..it comes with all the hardware and relayes needed to hook it up also..it is only like $80 too..also with this badboy you can tell it to turn on at whatever temp you want

------------------
1987 black notch(ex 4 banger)
DSS 306 w/ main support...Elderbrock 6028 heads..gt-40 intake..24# injectors...70 mm tb..77 pro-m...accel 300+..mac full legnth..tremec w/ pro5oh...full MAC exhaust,off road h-pipe,long tubes, catback...ron davis radiator..subframes, control arms...CFDF II..o yea holley FPR sucks..dont buy one..
AIM=onesillynotch
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote