MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-05-2003, 08:01 PM   #1
PaxtonBlownStang
Registered Member

Default Blown 92 Notch

This is my first post on here I figured that I should get around to asking a question or two before the winter starts and I start building up my recently purchased 92 Notchback. It’s a stock 5.0 5spd with 60k miles. Right now I have a Vortech V-2 SQ S-Trim on the way. I paid about $2650 polished for the whole thing. I figured that it was a better deal than the SC trim that I was going to buy because it comes with all the necessary parts and I wouldn’t have to buy a bypass valve kit and intank pump etc etc. So whatever I have that on the way and also have 306 stroker kit, AFR 185’s, Accufab 70mm t-body and March Pulleys sitting in my garage so far. Had a couple questions about some parts

I was going to use a FRPP E303 cam because some people say its not bad for street and for the Vortech. My car is going to be used for nice weather/after work at nights to drive around and go out in, car shows and street racing around town so I want good driveability but something that sounds mean and runs nice. Anyways what Comp Cams grinds would anyone recommend? Lots of people say something from the Xtreme Energy’s but which one would be best for street use and the blower?

I was also going to buy a FRPP Polished Cobra Intake from Jegs($480) but when I am done with the car I will have hopefully somewhere near or close to 500hp and I am thinking about going with a GT-40 Intake but cant find one that is polished for a decent price so if anyone knows of anyone that sells one lets me know. I have only found one for $800 at ampperformance.com but that’s like $300+ more than a Cobra Intake and doesn’t seem worth it. I don’t like Edelbrock products and Trick Flows look ugly and the Holley Systemax is too much with its high rpm running range. Anyways I really like the polished GT-40 look but people that don’t know where to get one just suggest some junk like professional products intakes and I don’t want anymore run around by people trying to sell cheap intakes to me just to make money and not even thinking about my actual question about the GT-40. If anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it so let me know what you guys think. Thanks for your time
PaxtonBlownStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 11:30 AM   #2
jonnyk
Being stroked is great

I would be looking at a more serious cam than an E303. Those are huge heads and you should look to extract some of their potential. I would be looking into the Comp Cams XE series, something like the 270HR. It is a specific blower cam and offers way more valve lift than the E303 to help extract the flow potential of those heads, and also a wider lobe separation for better use with boost. It's specs are 114° LSA, 215/224 duration @ 0.050", and .533"/.533" max lift. Make sure those AFR valve springs are up to the task.
I think the GT40 is extra money for nothing...the Cobra intake is a great performer, but the problem is that the 70mm throttle body you have is too big for it, it only accepts up to something like a 67mm throttle body without modification. You could use a die grinder and open up the inlet a bit I would imagine.
I personally recommend Edelbrock intakes for street cars and run one myself (the Professional Products knockoff version). They offer better distribution to the runners and more flow than an out of the box Cobra, plus they're much easier to have the upper ported.

Mods Pics
jonnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 11:38 AM   #3
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

I would shy away from the GT-40 / Cobra intake for performance reasons. I had the GT-40 intake on my old 302 setup and it worked great...but once I stepped up to my 331, the intake couldn't keep up with the engines breathing requirements. A Trick Flow Track Heat intake solved all of that.

Since you're going to be pushing 500 HP, I think you'll find that there will be much more power to be found with a higher flowing intake.

The GT-40 intake is a great intake for mildly modified 302/306s, but once you get over 375 HP, there are better choices out there.

E

331 cu. in. / Tremec 3550 / BFG Drag Radials

12.22 @ 114.31 mph - w/1.89 60'
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 02:16 PM   #4
69fastback
IRAQ VET

i would defenitly stay away from the cobra intake. I had one my car and all i have is some minor bolt ons and gt-40p heads. I switched to a trick flow street heat and could feel the difference over the cobra. So i am sure a cobra intake would really hurt your combo with those 185s.
91 GT
69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 09:22 PM   #5
go4it
Registered Member

No saying that there are not better choices on intakes buy the cobra/gt40 intakes can support more than 375 hp. That # may be for n/a combo, put the blower on and it goes up.
93GT, B-50 Forged 327, S-trim, SFMU, TFS TW heads, TFS stage 2 cam, Ported Cobra intake, AFM powerpipe, PRO-M 75mm massair, 75mm throttle body, 42lb.inj. 1 5/8 headers, 2 1/2 h-pipe and exhaust, 2 chamber Flowmasters, 3.55 gears, Elder.timing gears, Black Magic fan, FMS aluminum radiator, MSD6al/BTM, MSD coil, MSD shift light, subframe connectors, A-pillar gauges, Hurst shifter, C4, 3500 stall, 130amp alt., 73mm calipars.

2001 Red Lightning #913
2004 F150 FX4
go4it is offline   Reply With Quote