MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-25-2001, 08:54 PM   #1
gt93mustang
Registered Member

Post Blown Head Gasket?

Well guys, I purchased a Procharger and put it on this Tuesday and got it running early Wednesday morning. It drove fine all day today, but when I was coming home from work, all of the sudden, the temp shot up and I could smell coolant. I pulled it over and the radiator overflow was filled and boiling over. I finally got the radiator cap off and there was no coolant at all in it. What was in the overflow smelled of gasoline. When I put more water in the radiator, it bubbled out and had a white foam on it.

Now, what makes this odd is that there is no white smoke coming out of the tailpipes (that I can tell) and there is no coolant in the oil. What do you guys think? Blown HG?

------------------
MAC equal length headers, MAC Off-Road H-Pipe, Flowmaster mufflers, 373's, March ram-air kit, underdrive pulleys, 73mm MAF, 75mm TB, Saleen Intake (ported), Edelbrock 6037 heads (ported, polished, 3 angle valve-job 255CFM @.500), 1.6 FMS RR's, Wolverine 1087 Cam, 24lb injectors, MSD 6AL, Subframe connectors, Griggs Adustable Lower Control Arms, Lakewood 50/50 shocks, SSM Upper Control Arms... and probably some more in there I forgot
gt93mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2001, 08:07 AM   #2
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Question

Any word on what happened yet Joe?

Not blowing white smoke or not having milky oil is really puzzling.

Rick
"The Beast Is Almost Alive!" 2-3 days remaining

------------------
Check Out My Site 91GT,Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60" port matched to a 1262,Anderson N-61,24#,76mm C&L,Full MAC exhaust 1-5/8" Long tubes,2-1/2" O.R H-Pipe,2 1/2" cat back, No A/C or PS or emissions, 12" K&N Filter,RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air,Ron Davis Radiator,Full Suspension,S&W 8pt "X" brace,JAZ seats,3:73's,Welds..etc,4:30's and 31 splines coming very soon!
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2001, 08:21 AM   #3
Green92LX
Registered Member

This sounds odd....hmmmm

How about a MASSIVE air bubble in your cooling system??? Did you do anything with the coolant when you put the blower on? It could have just "burped"...

------------------
1992 LX:V-1 S-Trim ,Edelbrock 6037 Heads,Cobra Intake,E-303,1.6 Rollers,65MM Holley TB, 75 MM Pro M Mass Air, 190 LPH FP,24 lb injectors,MSD 6A and BTM,BBK equal length shorties,offroad h-pipe,Mac Flowpath Mufflers,Pro 5.0, 3.73's,Motorsport "C" springs,welded subframe connectors,Ponies w/ 225/50 Nitto NT 450's on front,255/50 BFG Drags out back,93 Cobra Spoiler
Daily driver 89 Coupe:BBK shorties,offroad,flowturds with dumps,soon to be cyber green
Green92LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2001, 12:51 PM   #4
gt93mustang
Registered Member

Well, I started pulling it apart last night and there was coolant in the #3 cylinder, so I am thinking that is where it let go. On the other hand, not having oil in the coolant and not blowing white smoke is throwing me off to. I am pretty sure it is a head gasket, though, due to the fluid on #3.

No big deal though. I'll just throw on another set of HG's and be back in the boost.

Rick - you better email me when you fire up the car! I'm stressing more over yours than I am mine.
Old 04-27-2001, 03:42 PM   #5
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

No problem! I hope to have it running Sunday but I still have some important stuff to do and I need to take my time. I need to hook up the MSD, run the cables for the battery which now is in the hatch, and rebuild that trashed T-5 I have. All the parts I bought for the tranny arrived today via: Fed-Ex. Tonight I am spending lots of time with the lady , some QT time is well needed since I work on the stang a lot, but it's almost there. It nice to see a couple guys intresetd in my new little beast, I hope it runs like a "Scalded Chicken On Crack"

Anytime you feel like getting rid of that ATI just sent it up to PA, it would look good under my hood I'll drop you a e-amil as soon as I get it started. DId you deceide what head gaskets you are going with yet? I really like my ROLs, but have no expierence with them yet.

------------------
Check Out My Site 91GT,Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60" port matched to a 1262,Anderson N-61,24#,76mm C&L,Full MAC exhaust 1-5/8" Long tubes,2-1/2" O.R H-Pipe,2 1/2" cat back, No A/C or PS or emissions, 12" K&N Filter,RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air,Ron Davis Radiator,Full Suspension,S&W 8pt "X" brace,JAZ seats,3:73's,Welds..etc,4:30's and 31 splines coming very soon!
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2001, 01:16 AM   #6
gt93mustang
Registered Member

Yeah, I just went with the a set of graphite Felpro's. Tonight I tore it down and took a look at the damage. As I had suspected, the gasket at #3 let go. It pushed out the backside of the head into the lifter valley. I haven't ever personally witnessed anything like that before. It must have been hit with some severe force to distort that ring like that. Oh, and about getting rid of it - I am going to give it a few more shots and if I can't keep it from blowing head gaskets, I will think about sending it to ya. I hope to have it in better tune this time though.

I started re-assembling it again tonight and will have it started again tomorrow. I'll let ya know how it turns out. Take care and good luck with yours.