MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-17-2001, 10:22 AM   #1
ALS85GT
Registered Member

Unhappy boggin down when reving

Hey guys, Anyone know what could be causing my 5.0 to bog down while reving it? Here are the specs: 1985 GT w/1987 roller motor, Weiand Stealth, Mallory Hi Fire Ignition(new), New wires, spark plugs, Rebuild Dist. New cap rotor. Hi-Perf Cam. Tried both a used Holley 650, vac sec, and an Elderbrock carb w/similar results. The car is using the factory in tank fuel pump(used to have CFI), Holley fuel pre regulator. Set to 5-6pounds.
Hooker full length headers. No mufflers yet.

It seems to idle fine, just when you rev it quickly, it seems to bog down. Any ideas?

Thanks....
ALS85GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 03:56 PM   #2
blueoval84
Registered Member

Lightbulb

Hey Al,

I've been going to this board for a little while now and most of these guys know their sh*t. If for some reason ya don't get an answer go to Fletch's Carbed 5.0 site. Most of them are "old school" carbed guys and can answer any question you throw at them. I'd love to help, but I'm a little new to the carb thing. His site is at: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/3553/
He's got a msg board,tech articles,projects, links, and all the usual bs.
Hope this helps,

Lee
blueoval84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 04:09 PM   #3
PKRWUD

I really need you to be more specific. Does it feel like a fuel starvation problem, like it's running out of gas? When exactly does this occur? What speed or rpms? What happens if you free rev it and release it? What about if you gradually rev it? when does the problem start, and what does it do?

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2001, 07:59 AM   #4
ALS85GT
Registered Member

Thanks Lee, I'm familiar w/Fletch's site, unfortunately they don't always ans your questions so I figured I'd try here. Anyway to ans Chris,..If I rev if slowly it will run normal, it's only when I quickly rev it that it seems to run out of fuel or maybe an ignition issue. When the car returns to idle(after reving it hard)it seems ok, doesn't want to shut off or anything like that. I know I have the brake booster hose connected wrong cause the brakes are hard. I mounted it to the intake manifold. I'll try the carb.

This motor was just started two weeks ago after some major changes. Like the removal of the computer, emissions, new cam, ignition, so on. Thanks for any ideas. This has got to be either an ignition issue or a fuel problem. What do ya think?
ALS85GT is offline   Reply With Quote