MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-04-2003, 10:26 AM   #1
twilightcall
Registered Member

Default Brake Light stays on and pedal goes to floor

My Emergency brake light stays on and my brake pedal goes to the floor. Would this indicate my Master Cylinder is bad? Also should I change the proportioning valve while I am in there. It is an 83? Thanks.
twilightcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 11:50 AM   #2
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

could be the master or a blown brake line... check the lines make sure you didnt blow one out.. that's an easy fix if you did... the master isnt hard to replace eitherway.. if you get a new one see if you can get a powdercoated one, it looks nice and wont get all rusty lookin
-as
Old 06-04-2003, 12:59 PM   #3
twilightcall
Registered Member

Thanks for the help. I removed the master and checked all of the lines. All of the lines are in good shape. The only problem is that someone had slightly rounded the head on one of the lines that goes to the master then to the proportion valve. I am going to see if I can get a new line made up. It will need to be bent to fit correctly. Has anyone bent their own lines.
Old 06-04-2003, 04:24 PM   #4
mikew88gt
Registered Member

Bending lines isn't too hard. Take your time or you'll kink.

Just for the heck of it pull your rear drums off and check your rear brakes. I've had wheel cylinders go bad on me before and that will cause the same problems you're having. Also the rear brake adjuster could have popped out of position. This happens when your rear brake linings wear down too far. Happened to me on 2 different trucks.

My 1988 Mustang GT
mikew88gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 04:27 PM   #5
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

yeah that's true you can blow out a seal on the wheel cylindars... also try not to let your master cyl go dry that can cause them to stop functioning.. the seals dry up and then it's all over...
-as
Old 06-04-2003, 08:03 PM   #6
twilightcall
Registered Member

Go a new Master Cyl. today. Changed it, bled the brakes, and saved the brake line. Works well. I am very pleased. Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.
Old 06-05-2003, 05:51 PM   #7
twilightcall
Registered Member

Just went for a drive and for some reason the light is still on. Not sure why. The pedal doesn't go to the floor. If there anything else to check?
Old 06-06-2003, 06:17 AM   #8
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

I sent you an email... but it's also possible the sender is bad.. if after all you did and it feels good and the light is still on there's a couple things that can set it off...

low pressue in the master, (i belive) as well as a switch on the EBRAKE lever.. it's a gereral BRAKE light could be either... so get your brakes to the point where they FEEL good, if the light is still on then check the sensors/switches/whatever you call em
-as