MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Windsor Power (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   brake lines, help! (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=25037)

mustangman65_79 06-14-2002 08:03 AM

brake lines, help!

HELP ME!!!

Here's the story, I put a '89 GT 8.8" rear end in a '79 mustang.

I hooked up the rear end, but now I can't hook up the brake lines. On the '79, the brake line is on the right side, but on the '89, it was on the left. So I have a rear end the has a line on the left, but the hook up in on the right. The t-fitting on the rear end is weilded to the line, so I'd have to replace the whole t-fitting and line. I need ideas, and quick!

LX5liter 06-14-2002 09:15 AM

Could you just run a new short line from where it comes from the 79 to the tee on the rear end? A short piece of line and a union connector should be reasonably cheap.

82 GT 06-14-2002 10:39 PM

DO NOT use a union fitting on brake lines!!!
Brake lines MUST be double flared!!
Those lines have up to 1000 psi and will blow that union fitting off.
Unless you want to find yourself in an accident, I would buy a double flaring tool. I bought one for $20 at Sears a few weeks ago.

RoadWarrior 06-14-2002 11:51 PM

You could also look into getting some steel braided lines to go between the body and rear end. Thats what im going to be doin on my car when i get around to the rear end swap. other than that i also thought about seeing if i could take the lines off of the 7.5 and put them on the 8.8.

LX5liter 06-15-2002 10:00 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 82 GT
[B]DO NOT use a union fitting on brake lines!!!
Brake lines MUST be double flared!!

How would you join the two lines together? Wouldn't you need a union fittng. As far as I know "union fitting" is a generic term used to describe a fitting that will join two lines of the same type together, whether it be ORS, ORB, JIC, pipe...etc.
You are right as to the double flaring but they still must be connected together.

82 GT 06-15-2002 03:12 PM

Yeah, that's how you join brake lines together but I didn't know if you were just telling him to use a union fitting without flaring the ends or not.
I've seen people who didn't know any better doing just that.
I just wanted to make sure mustangman knew about double flaring the ends.

LX5liter 06-15-2002 03:21 PM

Your right, 82 GT, I should have made myself more clear. Most of the people on this list probably know better that but for the sake of peoples safety it doesn't hurt to explain things in more detail. God knows I've done one or two stupid things in the past.
I wonder how mustangman made out?

82 GT 06-15-2002 03:45 PM

I wonder how he made out too. I hope he knows about the double flaring(LOL)

mustangman65_79 06-24-2002 07:13 AM

Well, u guys didn't know about the front brakes, but I found a reducer to fit the larger front brakes to the smaller '79 lines. About the rear, I took off the fitting on the '89 body, and I am tommorrow going to the car parts shop to find a line the will screw into the fitting. The fitting will bolt right on the '89 rear line, and should screw right into another line. I thought of this while ai was looking at the rear end the other day. I'll let u all know how it turns out.

mustangman65_79 06-30-2002 10:30 PM

I stil havn't done it yet, no money.

82 GT 06-30-2002 10:37 PM

That's because you have too many toys :D