MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-07-2002, 11:19 AM   #1
rppngears
Registered Member

Default Broken Speedometer

My speedometer seems to have stopped working when above 50MPH. Until then it works fine, once I get to somewhere around 50, it starts shaking and wobbling and shoots up near 90mph. It also makes a noise coming from behind the speedometer which sounds like a gear only partially engaging. Anyone know how I can fix this??
Old 08-07-2002, 12:21 PM   #2
drudis

Follow the line into your tranny. Its one simple 716" (?) bolt holding it in there.
Pull the unit (waht on the end of the cable) out of the tranny. Look if the gears are nice and "soup can square" or more like an "hourglass" or even missing teeth.
The gear is under $15 from a dealership.

Its the black plastic thing at about 70% from the left on this photo:
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 02:51 PM   #3
blown5.5
Registered Member

Speedo bounce is usually caused by the cable momentarily sticking in the covering (it needs to be lubricated). Unfortunately you must pull it out the top of the housing (under the dash). Depending on your size and how well you do the limbo, you might want to consider R&R'ing the drivers side seat so you can lay flat while working under the dash. I usually throw one of those rubber kneeling pads over the front seat bolts.......
blown5.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 03:06 PM   #4
rppngears
Registered Member

Post What to lube?

What is involved in lubricating the cable? Do I need to pull apart my gauge cluster to get the one end? Then remove the other end from the transmission, and remove the entire cable from the car? Then lube?
Old 08-07-2002, 03:13 PM   #5
blown5.5
Registered Member

Just unclip from the speedo housing. On my 92 it's a squeeze clip that I can reach from the floor. Pull the cable out of it's covering about 12-18" and then coat with molly lube. Replace. As the cable turns and heats up a bit the molly lube will work it's way down the casing.......
blown5.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 03:21 PM   #6
rppngears
Registered Member

Thanks alot, I'll definitely give it a try, it would be nice to be able to know how fast I am going again.
Old 08-08-2002, 09:08 AM   #7
OUTPLAYN
Registered Member

Just to let ya know...It doesnt work all the time..I have the same problem..I lubed it...and I still have the same problem..I am going to replace the cable..Not hard to do..just time to do it!!

Good luck and I hope it works for ya!!

92 Lx w/auto "stock"
95 CBR900rr "coming out of mothballs"
OUTPLAYN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 08:58 PM   #8
rppngears
Registered Member

Default Broken Speedometer

Hey guys,
I tried to lubricate my speedometer cable yesterday. I got to the cable from behind the dash and removed a white sqeeze connector. The end was a metal plug then went into my white plastic gauge cluster box. I tried to pull out the cable and got it to move a couple of inches, but then it stopped. If I pulled any more I could start to hear a tearing noise so I stopped. How do I get the cable out of the gauge cluster box? The part that became exposed was not the cable but a round metal like housing that went around the cable.
Old 08-14-2002, 12:11 AM   #9
94StangGT
Registered Member

Default Info about speedometer calibration

my speedometer is off by about 10 mph higher in the low speeds and is about 15-20 mph higher at freeway speeds. I received the car like this from my old uncle who can't drive anymore, and i don't know if he had changed wheel sizes in the past. I just wanted to know how to calibrate it, and I hope it doesn't involve a lot of money.
94StangGT is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: