View Single Post
Old 08-20-2002, 12:52 PM   #1
byrnech
Registered Member

Angry Tranny won't shift! (long)

The other day I was driving my car and the clutch started to smell and then the transmission wouldn't pull out of gear. So I thought it was the clutch. Sure enough I took it apart and the clutch disk had about 1/3rd of it ripped off, and the pressure plate was worn out a little bit. So I installed a new clutch and put it back together and I am still having the same problem. I have an adustable cable and a good quadrant, and a firewall adjuster as well. When I have it to where the clutch engauges at a normal position the car won't go into gear. If I adjust it really tight the pedal doesn't go all the way to the ground and you can't start the car because of the safety switch. So I back the firewall adjuster out just enough so I can touch the switch and start it then re-adjust the clutch and it almost wants to work. My trans gave no signs of it going bad, I haven't powershifted it and it has been rebuilt about 11000 miles ago. It is a T-5 Z tans, I have broken 2 of these before and when I did I knew it was the tranny. I think it might be the shift fork, and that's what a friend of mine thought too. I think that's what it's called, the shift fork inside the tranny not the clutch bellhousing fork. Tell me what you guys think. Thanks, -Chris