MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-16-2001, 05:26 PM   #1
Chris_H
Registered Member

Angry Burning/using oil....

Yet another problem if you have already read my "Very dissapointed with these 2" post. WHile I was out testing the new water pump today i was able to smell the burning oil even more than I usually can. I added a quart about 2 weeks ago and its already low again. I am just comnig up on my 3,000 mile change which I planned to do tomorrow. I also plan to pull the plugs and check them. Last time I checked the plugs, the #7 plug had oil all over it. I drip a little oil in the driveway, but using almost 2 quarts in 3,000 miles is getting insane. Anybody have any ideas where this may be going? I do get some drips, but its not looking like an oil spill in the ocean. This motor has about 32,000 on the rebuild. Any help is appreciated. If you need more info that I may have left out please ask for it. Thanx.

Chris

------------------
1987 LX, rebuilt 306, Mac shorty headers 1 5/8, 2 1/2" Mac off road h-pipe, 2 1/2" 2 Chamber Flowmasters cat-back, Mac underdrive pullies, 3.55, K&N, Tremec 3550, King Cobra Clutch, Steeda Tri-Ax, Autometer gauges, White face gauges, blue silicone radiator hoses, Steeda Clutch Adjuster Kit.
Best times:
2.331 60ft, 9.966 @ 71.069 1/8 mile, 15.491 @ 91.846 1/4 mile at 4000 ft. elevation on street tires
Chris_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2001, 06:33 PM   #2
NO SLO PK
Registered Member

If you can smell oil burning, it may be leaking onto the exhaust and burning off. Are the valve cover seals good and tight? Is the main seal dripping oil onto the exhaust?

Honestly, a quart every 1500 miles isn't terrible.

------------------
Russ L
'91 LX
Procharger, 3 row intercooler, extrude honed Cobra intake, Mac full Length Headers, 30# inj., 73mm C&L, 75mm tb, E303 cam, 289 rods, ported E7 heads, MSD, T-Rex w/255 lph Walbro, 5 lug conversion, Cobra R wheels, 3.27 gears and Moser Axles.
NO SLO PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2001, 06:38 PM   #3
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

I have a SEVERE oil burning AND leaking problem. I know for a fact that both my rear main seal and oil pan gaskets are leaking like sieves...when my car was last on the lift, I couldn't believe how much oil was covering the underside of the car from the tailshaft to the pan *ugh*

I also smell burning oil when I take it up to higher rpms and the rockers (?) chatter blah. I hope your problem is more simple than mine. I've got over 100K on the orginial motor.

Anyone replying to this topic I'd like to know too

------------------
Elisha (Mustangbelle)
1994 GT: Cartech intake,4.10s, full exhaust, and pulleys.
Sold the 1986 LX sedan
http://www.geocities.com/mustangbelle_306
AOL name: GT306Chick

Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2001, 11:26 PM   #4
Chris_H
Registered Member

Thumbs down

Well I am pretty sure that its my rear main leaking too because when I change my oil I drive the front end up on ramps so I can get under it easier. The bottom is covered in oil, but its not too thick. I know the rear main has been changed a few times, but I'm thinking if its not just right its going to leak. I am heading to DC on sunday for business, and thinking about dropping the car off for the week with my mechanic. Will the rear main slowly go out, or will it just all of a sudden one day drop all my oil? I need this thing to last at least one more week. Anymore replies will be appreciated.

Chris
Old 04-16-2001, 11:33 PM   #5
Oldschoolpony
Registered Member

. Last time I checked the plugs, the #7 plug had oil all over it

what do the tips of the plugs look like? Is exhaust clean? As far as hearing the lifters, If its low on oil and you run it hard, you'll wear the motor out quickly
Oldschoolpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2001, 10:56 AM   #6
NO SLO PK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris_H:
Will the rear main slowly go out, or will it just all of a sudden one day drop all my oil? I need this thing to last at least one more week. Anymore replies will be appreciated.

Chris
I've never known of a rear seal that went out entirely. They just leak and become annoying. I have three Fords with small blocks, and all three rear seals leak. Maybe I'll get them fixed when I have time. No big deal, it's just a Ford thing.

------------------
Russ L
'91 LX
Procharger, 3 row intercooler, extrude honed Cobra intake, Mac full Length Headers, 30# inj., 73mm C&L, 75mm tb, E303 cam, 289 rods, ported E7 heads, MSD, T-Rex w/255 lph Walbro, 5 lug conversion, Cobra R wheels, 3.27 gears and Moser Axles.
NO SLO PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2001, 01:11 PM   #7
Chris_H
Registered Member

Well I pulled a few of the plugs today and they r a light grey/brown color. Don't really see anything wrong with them. The rear main has been replaced a few times but thats nothing new. Also, I am leaking a little oil from where I tapped in my Autometer sending unit with the factory sending unit. That has seemed to be a pain in the butt since I put both of them on so that I didn't have any dead gauges. Between the rear main and this little bit leaking from the sending units, is that enough to cause me to lose this much oil? I just don't like the thought of using/losing/burning oil.

Chris
Old 04-17-2001, 10:28 PM   #8
Greasy Carl
Registered Member

A quart of leaking/burning every 1500 miles isn't really that bad. If you have one plug with oil on it you may have a bad oil ring in that cylinder. Oil rings are very simple but very time consuming to replace. If the thing hasn't oil fouled that plug then I wouldn't worry about it....there is not really a lot you can do about that ring unless you take the engine completely apart.

------------------
91 coupe, SVO block 380 windsor, Brodix Neal heads, Super victor spyder intake, 90mm Accufab, 160 lb. Bosch injectors, D2-R procharger, Dynamic powerglide, 4500 stall, 9" rear, Speed Pro injection. 1047 hp at the wheels on Dynojet dyno with 23 lbs. of boost.
Greasy Carl is offline   Reply With Quote